Options

Save the Burros...

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited January 25, 2012 in Street and Documentary
18JAN2012 - Austin, TX.
Approximately 15 protestors arrived at the Texas State Capitol today to protest the Parks & Wildlife Department systematic eradication of the last remaining wild burro herds in Big Bend State Park. Residents from the Big Bend region of the state, as well as others participated by bringing six burros, one horse, and 103,000 signatures contained in a petition to Gov. Rick Perry to halt the execution of wild burros in the State Park. Approximately 300 wild burros remain in one herd with roots tracing back to 1585 where they have freely traveled between the United States and Mexico. In question for the opposing side include the economic dollars at stake for the eradication of elk, bobcat, cougar and feral hog in order to reintroduce big horn sheep. A spokesman for the Parks & Wildlife Department said the current size of the burro herd is placing undue stress on the ecosystem of the area, therefore the numbers need to be reduced to zero.

#1 Jennifer G at the South steps of the Texas State Captial Wednesday, with an unknown protester in the background.
DSC5360-22-L.jpg

#2 Jennifer G speaking with reporters on the current plight of the wild burro herd in Big Bend State Park.
DSC5337-11-L.jpg

#3 Chey (riding Hannah a wooly mammoth species burro) speaking with an unknown reporter on the South steps of the Capitol Wednesday.
DSC5382-26-L.jpg

#4 Hannah (l) a wooly mammoth species burro, and Banjo (r), a miniature species burro
DSC5414-38-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Good PJ piece. I could see reading this in print.
    As far images go, the last two for me.

Although as I recall captions with names of those depicted is needed and yes the Burros names as well rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Thanks Ben....

ps: I'm working on the burro's name now. rolleyes1.gif

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Sounds like Cripple Creek and Leadville. At the turn of the century the gold mines used burros to haul ore carts, but when things got mechanized they just turned the burros loose. They still have an annual burro race in several Colorado towns.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    I'm finding myself migrating towards the multiple shot/storyline types of shooting since I apparently don't do the single shot stuff very well. That said, would this type of story/post be more appropriate with B&W images? Is the text appropriate to the images? And finally, is the text unbiased in your opinion?

As for the burros, Texas Parks and Wildlife is having a public comment session at one of their meetings this week. I might try and get down there for those fireworks. The more I read about burros, the more I've learned about their long history in the development, support and defense of nations. Very interesting.....
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 25, 2012
    If you're serious about commercial photojournalism, forget B&W. That's so last century.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Naw.... not serious about anything commercial. I'd starve to death in very short order. deal.gif

I'm just trying to do a better job of shooting/telling a story in the hopes the viewer (you all...) have a decent understanding of what the event - whatever it may be - was all about. Almost as if you were there, you'd have come away with the same thoughts....
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    As I said in my 1st response, you did a fine job on telling the tale.

Now let me say that I could see this in Local paper print / story, however not so
    much on a National Print level, make any sense ?