Options

Three colour shots from the footpath

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited January 25, 2012 in Street and Documentary
There are others in this series, but I figured I'd share few. It's simply a walk through set while holding an idea in mind while I was shooting. For what it's worth, I was called out a few times, but who cares!

Lens, people, snap. Life.

1)
DS23572-XL.jpg

2)
DS23582-XL.jpg

3)
DS23587-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Jenn,
    Shot #1
    Normally I love to shoot into oncoming foot traffic but I sometimes get the reaction from viewers (dgrinners) "yea, so, it's just people walking" :) and they are right, but this is nothing like that. How on earth did you manage this capture? I swear I'm tempted to ask if you somehow cloned, which I know you didn't. This is crazy, they all(the 3 main women) look related and they all have funky glasses on. HUGE WTF on #1.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    #1 Yes

#2 No

#3 I don't no :D
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Ah Liz, yes, #1 is just people walking, BUT...

like you said, the 3 women look related and they all have funky glasses on.

This is why this photo is more than "just people walking."

+1
    Jenn,
    Shot #1
    Normally I love to shoot into oncoming foot traffic but I sometimes get the reaction from viewers (dgrinners) "yea, so, it's just people walking" :) and they are right, but this is nothing like that. How on earth did you manage this capture? I swear I'm tempted to ask if you somehow cloned, which I know you didn't. This is crazy, they all(the 3 main women) look related and they all have funky glasses on. HUGE WTF on #1.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Jennifer, I just finished congratulating you on a series of three excellent, and in one case exceptional landscapes, so I hope you won't take it the wrong way when I ask Liz what it is she sees in #1, or for that matter, any of these three that make them more than "just people walking?" Yes, in #1 they're wearing "funky" glasses, but a lot of the people I see on the street wear "funky" glasses. Seems to me these are just people walking in funky glasses. Is there more here than meets my eye? Sorry, Jen, but since I turned "nice" it seems to me Street & PJ had reverted to its previous "never a discouraging word" format. Your work is too good for that. You deserve some serious criticism.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    +1
    Rags
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Jennifer, I just finished congratulating you on a series of three excellent, and in one case exceptional landscapes, so I hope you won't take it the wrong way when I ask Liz what it is she sees in #1, or for that matter, any of these three that make them more than "just people walking?" Yes, in #1 they're wearing "funky" glasses, but a lot of the people I see on the street wear "funky" glasses. Seems to me these are just people walking in funky glasses. Is there more here than meets my eye? Sorry, Jen, but since I turned "nice" it seems to me Street & PJ had reverted to its previous "never a discouraging word" format. Your work is too good for that. You deserve some serious criticism.

Ahh Russ I don't think the mood or critques on "Street" are depended on your mood!
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    I'm certainly aware that shooting a walkthrough doesn't normally result in much meaningful. But a couple of things led me to this. First was a set I saw at the NGV. Bill Henson. Not the particular linked set, but of the same concept and photographer. These aren't about duplicating those shots but that a simple head on, no embarrassment approach can generate substantial results.

The second is that I've not felt up to aggressive street efforts. It's simply that I held the camera up to my face and walked through several blocks of crowds selecting and shooting. It felt nice, and I'm happy that I gathered a few not shitty images.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Agree with Liz in that the ladies in #1 really do look alike. wow.

And I sort of like #3 for the simple fact it's colorful and the two texters on the left are nicely framed in unison.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Agree with Liz in that the ladies in #1 really do look alike. wow.

And I sort of like #3 for the simple fact it's colorful and the two texters on the left are nicely framed in unison.

it really is beyond bizarre how alike they look and they are not walking together as though they are related. It is even more so because they are kind of strange looking.

Glad you see it Scott.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    it really is beyond bizarre how alike they look and they are not walking together as though they are related. It is even more so because they are kind of strange looking.

Glad you see it Scott.

I like all these shots - humans are generally fascinating and these subjects look so to my eye.

#1 is strange looking, yes, and I love a good conspiracy theory, but it may be as simple as the availability of poor style choices while shopping. I offer the following as evidence. :D

http://photokinetic.smugmug.com/Other/Roundabout/i-BJPW2gD/0/XL/Stun-Glasses-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug