Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited January 26, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Another March for Life image, but certainly not the usual:

IMG0702-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    This is a very good shot. The scream of frustration, the contrast between the cops and the stairs... well done
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    This is a very good shot. The scream of frustration, the contrast between the cops and the stairs... well done

Thanks Juano! He's actually laughing manically, but I have no earthly clue how to convey that other than telling you now. I don't think that'd fly on a PJ caption either:

"Crazy man laughs hysterically in the general direction of the Supreme Court."
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Thanks Juano! He's actually laughing manically, but I have no earthly clue how to convey that other than telling you now. I don't think that'd fly on a PJ caption either:

"Crazy man laughs hysterically in the general direction of the Supreme Court."

rolleyes1.gif nice would-be caption.

I didn't get laughing either, more like primal screaming.
    I like the shot very much with the scream/laugh vs the empty space and the total detachment of the cops. I'd kill for that sign to be turned so we could read it, but you made do with what you had, and you caught the weird emotion.

Very good image, you are really coming along with your street images.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    rolleyes1.gif nice would-be caption.

I didn't get laughing either, more like primal screaming.
    I like the shot very much with the scream/laugh vs the empty space and the total detachment of the cops. I'd kill for that sign to be turned so we could read it, but you made do with what you had, and you caught the weird emotion.

Very good image, you are really coming along with your street images.

Thanks, Lizz, that is very flattering of you to say! If it hadn't been for you, I may have never become someone so interested in street photography. When I first saw the guy, I wasn't sure what he was doing, but I had been taking pictures of the cops (notice how I avoid saying "shooting the cops" on the internet) and this fellow walked up. He stood for a moment, and then started to laugh. I raised my camera to shoot, which is the point he went into the laughing death throes witness herein.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    I like this image but think I would of angled differently.

I can see myself shooting this by leaning over railing and shooting from a lower perspective
    and angling up towards screamer, anyway something like that :D
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Sorry. It just plain doesn't work. I thought it might be a laugh. But about what? Why? Who is he? Where is he? Who are those cops? Why are they there? I know that ambiguity is good in street photography, but you're working on your photo journalism here. And this just doesn't do it. Sorry.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Sorry. It just plain doesn't work. I thought it might be a laugh. But about what? Why? Who is he? Where is he? Who are those cops? Why are they there? I know that ambiguity is good in street photography, but you're working on your photo journalism here. And this just doesn't do it. Sorry.

I honestly didn't think it was very solid PJ either, it was more of a post for the street side of things. Thanks for the honesty, as always.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »

I had not thought about it from a strictly Pj point of view.

But then my question is B.D., if this was purely for posting here only and as a street shot, it still doesn't work for you?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    I had not thought about it from a strictly Pj point of view.

But then my question is B.D., if this was purely for posting here only and as a street shot, it still doesn't work for you?

Haha, I have bothered B.D. too much lately. I hope he just doesn't answer. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    It's an OK image - if you show more on the left side, may be it will have more context of what's going on. There are ambiguity of course but it should be an interesting ambiguity. It's almost there.

Just curious, did you try different angles and different distance / perspective?
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    richardman wrote: »
    It's an OK image - if you show more on the left side, may be it will have more context of what's going on. There are ambiguity of course but it should be an interesting ambiguity. It's almost there.

Just curious, did you try different angles and different distance / perspective?

I didn't. Despite this being a moment of wanting to capture a street shot, I was there to practice PJ, and I moved on after I felt I had gotten a reasonable image of something I found interesting.
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    This is the type of situation that you are really work the scene since they are in public protesting and won't care someone is photographing them. I'd suggest that in similar situation, you can spend a few more shots before moving on. Change angle, change distance, different positions...
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    richardman wrote: »
    This is the type of situation that you are really work the scene since they are in public protesting and won't care someone is photographing them. I'd suggest that in similar situation, you can spend a few more shots before moving on. Change angle, change distance, different positions...

I agree, completely. Thanks, richardman.