#3 is a fascinating shot, Ben. Bravo!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 25, 2012
    Yes, #3 is cool. thumb.gif
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    #3 is great with those people shadows and the offset of the older gentleman.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    #3 is a fascinating shot, Ben. Bravo!
    Richard wrote: »
    Yes, #3 is cool. thumb.gif
    M38A1 wrote: »
    #3 is great with those people shadows and the offset of the older gentleman.

Thanks Guys, it really does help me know what to look out for mwink.gif

I'm kinda partial to the Ducks, Peking that is :D
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Not sure about Ben's shadow on #3. The other shadows are good.

Those are plain old Cantonese roasted ducks, not Peking (Beijing? :-) ) ducks. MMmmmmm....
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    I enjoyed this set , # 3 has nice lighting and texture, but I would have preferred to see the source of the shadow as well, doesn't seem to be much of a story apart from the man looking in what appears to be a satchel of some kind. IMO.

Now # 4 does talk to me much louder. mwink.gif
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Ben,

I love the expression on the man's face in #1. Other than that, not too much going on, but the ":S" face, as I will call it, works for me!

#2 has no focal point, IMHO. It's just overwhelming to me. There's some light near the subjects, helping out, but it just doesn't say a whole lot. :/

#3 is certainly the most interesting. I like how you've covered up the man with your silhouette to be honest, otherwise I think the light would be too dominant over the shadows in the frame. If it weren't for that garbage can to your left, I think you could have moved to the left a little bit and covered up his entire back with shadow, but since that can is there, it would take away the definition of your own silhouette and I don't know if that would be good or not. Nevertheless, good image.

#4 would be better without the obstructing figure

#5 I think it's old ladies walking, and that's more interesting than regular people walking I guess, but not feeling it here.

#6 Now this is a cool shot to me. I like the composition you chose, and it makes me feel like I'm about to order some duck. However, I would have waited for the cook in the background to come forward and give the shot a people element.

Solid post. Thanks for sharing, Ben.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    richardman wrote: »
    Not sure about Ben's shadow on #3. The other shadows are good.

Those are plain old Cantonese roasted ducks, not Peking (Beijing? :-) ) ducks. MMmmmmm....

Whatever you want to call em OK by me, Yumm :food :D
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    I enjoyed this set , # 3 has nice lighting and texture, but I would have preferred to see the source of the shadow as well, doesn't seem to be much of a story apart from the man looking in what appears to be a satchel of some kind. IMO.

Now # 4 does talk to me much louder. mwink.gif
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Ben,

I love the expression on the man's face in #1. Other than that, not too much going on, but the ":S" face, as I will call it, works for me!

#2 has no focal point, IMHO. It's just overwhelming to me. There's some light near the subjects, helping out, but it just doesn't say a whole lot. :/

#3 is certainly the most interesting. I like how you've covered up the man with your silhouette to be honest, otherwise I think the light would be too dominant over the shadows in the frame. If it weren't for that garbage can to your left, I think you could have moved to the left a little bit and covered up his entire back with shadow, but since that can is there, it would take away the definition of your own silhouette and I don't know if that would be good or not. Nevertheless, good image.

#4 would be better without the obstructing figure

#5 I think it's old ladies walking, and that's more interesting than regular people walking I guess, but not feeling it here.

#6 Now this is a cool shot to me. I like the composition you chose, and it makes me feel like I'm about to order some duck. However, I would have waited for the cook in the background to come forward and give the shot a people element.

Solid post. Thanks for sharing, Ben.

Solid Critiques, Big Thanks
    Promise to honor your efforts and put some of it to use next time thumb.gif

Quincy you really got in my head on couple of your comments, NOW STOP THAT! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    Quincy you really got in my head on couple of your comments, NOW STOP THAT! rolleyes1.gif

We have to develop our photographic eye and our critical eye, do we not? I'm glad to hear I'm doing that in some form or fashion, haha.