Options

Tamron macro plus a +4 filter element

NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
edited October 3, 2005 in Holy Macro
Hi, I have had some good luck with my Tamron 24-136mm with clean macros, so I bought a 72mm +4 close up lens. I actually was looking at other macro lenses but I think I can get some use with what I already have for awhile. I use it around 100mm. Pretty good little walkaround lens too. The only thing I didnt get good shots was in nighttime baseball games, whereas my canon IS did a little better than it. But I can certainly use it for macros....:clap
37953126-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    Nice DoF you captured there. Have you tried stacking other closeup filters with the +4?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2005
    Hi tristan, yes I have. But usually I go with a +4 because stacking can cause reflections sometimes and also it makes for such a small dof that most usually I struggle to get the whole bug or plant in focus. I guess having a higher aperture would help in that case. But it leaves very little room for a good shot. [for me anyway] I just bought a package deal on ebay that included a polarizer and star filter with it, so it works ok. Great price too. 72mm's are usuallt expensive. I got all 3 for like 30$. Have you tried stacking? I do it occasionally with my other lens where I have 3 of them.
    TristanP wrote:
    Nice DoF you captured there. Have you tried stacking other closeup filters with the +4?
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    Hi Linda,
    Nice use of the lens; the +4 really brings it in. It looks like you are using natural light here. Do you use any external flash when shooting macros? I've taken some with the built in flash on the 20D and they came out OK, but nothing like using an external flash from the side. It allows a much smaller aperture, but I'm singing to the choir here.

Nice macro gallery. I've yet to capture flying bugs with any success but you seem to have many. Nice shooting.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    Thanks Brian, I love those black and white colors with the green. This was the largest hover I've seen in these part.

And thanks Chris, I think a few of the macro flying bees were indeed with a close up filter. Not all of them. It's like pure luck and patience with a close up filter on, lolol. Such a small DOF.

Yes, I forgot my ISO was on 1600 for this Hover shot. [famous for forgetting that, lolol] But it was dark inside the leaves where he landed so I'm glad I had it cranked up. I don't use flash that often, I am so used to this way. To tell you the truth, I am not too familiar with shutterspeeds with flash, and so I just generally go outside in the garden during the day, upping my shutterspeed if its in the shade. Thats about it, and I am plain ol' used to high shutterspeeds for flying bugs, and not familiar with much else.
    Thanks for taking a look!
    I'm excited to try this close up/tamron combo now, especially with my garden so shabby now with not much beauty, macro is a great way to bypass the weeds and rust, lolol.

Hi Linda,
    Nice use of the lens; the +4 really brings it in. It looks like you are using natural light here. Do you use any external flash when shooting macros? I've taken some with the built in flash on the 20D and they came out OK, but nothing like using an external flash from the side. It allows a much smaller aperture, but I'm singing to the choir here.

Nice macro gallery. I've yet to capture flying bugs with any success but you seem to have many. Nice shooting.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Messing With Lenses
    Netgarden wrote:
    Hi, I have had some good luck with my Tamron 24-136mm with clean macros, so I bought a 72mm +4 close up lens. I actually was looking at other macro lenses but I think I can get some use with what I already have for awhile. I use it around 100mm. Pretty good little walkaround lens too. The only thing I didnt get good shots was in nighttime baseball games, whereas my canon IS did a little better than it. But I can certainly use it for macros....clap.gif
    Hey there Netgarden......... so you found yourself a bug hu clap.gif good for you :D
    Wouldn't it be nice if these bugs would be just a little more co-operative when folks are trying to take photos of them rolleyes1.gif do you find you get all set up then change your mind and decide to go a tad closer, then the dang thing moves or flies off?? eek7.gif I just take too long to decide its the shot I want..what about you?? you have this problem too?

It's fun experiment with lenses, I can see your having a good time with your gear.....thanks for sharing.....I hope I can get some good bee shots this year.

Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    Hey there mate, I almost missed your post. I sure hear ya on bugs cooperating! I do the same thing, the perfectionist in me just causes me to miss alot of shots! haha, yep, the "ohh darn...he flew away" routine!ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif Heck, some of my best shots were with zooms from 5 feet away and just goofing around! I have had a few posers tho, like one day this skipper bfly just kept stopping and posing for me! She was so friendly....:D wish I had set a higher aperture!
    32067665-M.jpg
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there Netgarden......... so you found yourself a bug hu clap.gif good for you :D
    Wouldn't it be nice if these bugs would be just a little more co-operative when folks are trying to take photos of them rolleyes1.gif do you find you get all set up then change your mind and decide to go a tad closer, then the dang thing moves or flies off?? eek7.gif I just take too long to decide its the shot I want..what about you?? you have this problem too?

It's fun experiment with lenses, I can see your having a good time with your gear.....thanks for sharing.....I hope I can get some good bee shots this year.

Skippy (Australia)