Improving Transparent Hood Shots

newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited January 27, 2012 in Technique
So, I do a lot of car photography and often try out a transparent hood shot with each set. I guess I should call it translucent, as I usually leave the hood slightly visible. I usually like the result a bit better that way. Im never quite happy with the shape of the window I create though. Here is an example,

1-5.jpg

This was for a friend, and to kill some time while chatin. He was very happy with the picture, which I suppose should be all that matters. Im not real happy with it though. The first thing that catches my eye is the strut tower bar at the top of the window in the hood. It breaks up the feathered edge a little bit. Next, the shape of the window just seems a bit too generic, but if I use a free select tool, then it looks goofy. Also, Im open to suggestions on the transparent/translucent hood.

CLIFF NOTES: Does the strut tower bar throw off the window effect? Do I just need to get better with the free select tool? Does the window need to be clearer?

Thanks!
D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    Have you tried a CPL? Circular Polarizing Filter? I works to help with reflections on glass and seeing into water at the sea/pond shore.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    This looks hot,

window in hood is good, and with your concern, and question, i can see the artist in you.

The only impovement IMHO, would be if you used the logos for the car as a window shape for the hood,

please post some more, thanks for sharing
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    I'm now guessing I miss read what's going on here... oh well!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • RedfaxRedfax Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    It looks like you went for normal transparency....Did you try messing with the various blending options Overlay, Color, Lighten etc? It would be cool if you could get this sort of look http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/1966-1970-oldsmobile-toronado-1.jpg completely transparent almost everywhere, with some details that show what shape the car is. Of course that's easier with the Old's straight lines than with curves, but maybe try to make it full transparent, and leave just the highlights?
  • winamwinam Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 27, 2012
    @ newb: I tried it myself very often, never got that close! How can I leave the hood so slightly visible? I always copied the picture with the closed hood onto the one with the open hood. Than I only use the rubber to, but that looks a little unfinied everytime.

How do you do that with the visibilitiy?

I am a total newbie to photoshop, just bought it as a ste licence and playing around.
  • newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    You can adjust the layer transparency with a slider. Just pick the top layer with the hood closed and adjust it until you like it.
    D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3