Options

New glass!!

PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
edited January 29, 2012 in Cameras
I've been on the hunt for a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 (at Matt's strong recommendation) and I finally got my hands on one. I've been trying to find the right portrait lens for me (mostly kids and candids) but haven't had success yet with the Tamron 17-50 and Nikon 17-55 f/2.8. I think in both cases the issue was lack of reach, so we'll see if this solves that issue. I've been very, very pleased with the sharpness of my 16-85 but it's requires a pretty large depth of field so I'm eager to see the Sigma's results.

I've only got three days to try it out. I'd better get the kids in bed and start shooting!

:clap:clap:clap:clap

Comments

• Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    I'm curious as to where you happened to find one. I haven't been on a hunt for one per say, but have been keeping my eye open. Hope you enjoy it!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Good luck! I looked for about 6mos for one for Canon before I finally gave up - found one used (one!), but it had focus issues when the seller tried to shoot some 2.8 samples for me, to the point that he pulled the listing and sent it back to Sigma. :(
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    ZBlack - I'll send you a PM.
    Diva - Yeah, I plan to put this through much testing for three days. I know there are a lot of bad copies.

I figured I'd try to put the older kid to use before bedtime. He was, shall we say, less than cooperative?

First I got the angry face (50mm, f/2.8, ISO 400, 1/60 handheld):
    i-PKm2zrT-L.jpg

Then I suggested that he ought to be thankful I wasn't making him listen to a practice sermon (90mm, f/2.8, ISO 200, 1/60 handheld):
    PDM7005-Edit-L.jpg

Crop from the last picture:
    i-T36CzpZ-L.jpg

I'm not ready to judge sharpness based on 1/60 handheld ;)
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Well, I'm impressed, especially handheld.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    Yeah, I think the Canon one has more issues than the Nikon one... I'm jealous though - I would still love a copy of this lens because the FL would be poiiiiifffeeect for me.

Those look great! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited January 26, 2012
    Congratulations. Looks like a good copy to me. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    If that one does not work i would recommend the Tokina 50-135mm f2.8 I shoot with it on Nikon it is one sweet lens for portraits and weddings. Solid build and quality.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    Glad to hear! Too bad Sigma doesn't have an affiliate program, otherwise I'd be rich off of the 50-150 alone.

I actually just shot a portrait session today on my 4-5 year old copy of this lens, (when did it come out? 2006? 2007?) ...and I still love it. It's been such a workhorse for me, I've beat it to death but I just plan on keeping it and getting it serviced every few years until they discontinue parts or something, maybe by then the OS version wil hit shelves.

One of my favorite shots made with this lens:

906981636_jRb6q-L.jpg

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    Matt that is a stunning shot!
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2012
    zerodog wrote: »
    matt that is a stunning shot!

+1
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2012
    +1, +1
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2012
    Unfortunately, Sigma's CEO just passed away in case you didn't hear. I wrote a quick article on SLR Lounge with a few additional images from my various Sigma lenses, as sort of a tribute. Enjoy...

http://www.slrlounge.com/sigma-ceo-passes-away-a-tribute-from-matthew-saville

=Matt=
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    +1

+1+1+1 That is a great captureclap.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Yeah, I think the Canon one has more issues than the Nikon one... I'm jealous though - I would still love a copy of this lens because the FL would be poiiiiifffeeect for me.

Those look great! thumb.gif

2 on eBay used ...both canon ... ... http://tinyurl.com/6t4d4z2
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Hehehe I always forget to check eBay - got scared off it for camera gear. That said, one of those looks pretty good, but until the 5dIII is announced and I have some idea of whether or not I'll be jumping to FF this year I probably shouldn't spend money on EFS lenses......... :D
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    BorrowLenses.com is selling off one of their (Nikon) copies right now for $600, if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    BorrowLenses.com is selling off one of their (Nikon) copies right now for $600, if anyone is interested.

THAT'S where I saw it for $600! Great deal on a hard to find lens. If any Nikon shooters are looking for a Sigma 50-150 2.8, scoop it up!

=Matt=