Options

Computer question

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited October 3, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
McaFee virus scan continues to inform that it has detected a suspicios script, and asks what I want to do about it. The name of this script is:
C:\programiles\support.com\client\bin\tgcmd.exe

I have Googled this, and the sites I have been directed to are in Computer geek, I can only translate every other word, and when I put them in a row to form a sentence, it is gobelty gook.

So...does anyone know what this is? Should I stop the script, or allow it?

THanks,

Sam

Comments

• Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    McaFee virus scan continues to inform that it has detected a suspicios script, and asks what I want to do about it. The name of this script is:

I have Googled this, and the sites I have been directed to are in Computer geek, I can only translate every other word, and when I put them in a row to form a sentence, it is gobelty gook.

THanks,

Sam
    if you're not sure, stop it. you can always re-enable it. play the game conservatively.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2005
    photodoug wrote:
    if you're not sure, stop it. you can always re-enable it. play the game conservatively.
    It appears to be an application installed by some computer manufacturers or ISPs that collects information about your system in case you need to call for support.

I would disable it.
    Chris
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    I agree
    95Mcaj wrote:
    It appears to be an application installed by some computer manufacturers or ISPs that collects information about your system in case you need to call for support.

I would disable it.
    I would doubt it's collecting info for support purposes!
    I too would disable it!! EXE files that are suspicious can really wreak havoc on your puter! I'd get a Spyware program and search for other "JUNK" on your puter immediately if not sooner!!

PPL dumping spyware to track your usage to send ya SPAM or pop-up's F'in ticks me off! No ones biz what you do with your puter!!

Scripts are deadly.....can do anything from collect info to deleting your hard drive.
    I have learned a LONG TIME ago......if it looks suspicious.....don't trust it!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    spyware? what's that?

oh yeah, i keep forgetting, i use apple, so we don't have that problem lol3.gif
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Yeah yeah rub it in!
    andy wrote:
    spyware? what's that?

Us Microsoft based PC users have better access to programs than you Apple users but hafta put up with the "JUNK" and viruses.
    No doubt that a Apple has more muscle under less resources!
    Apple is the cats a** for Graphics and Video production hands down!
    From what I have seen only 1 out of every 100 PPL own or use an Apple thus making it more difficult (NOT impossible) to get programs and hardware!

More than likely why hackers leave you Guys alone! :D
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    thus making it more difficult (NOT impossible) to get programs and hardware!

http://www.versiontracker.com/ and this is just freeware/shareware

there are loads of sw for the mac. i've yet to be presented with a critical app that i can't run on my mac - yes i know they exist, but even then, you can always run windows on your mac, too :D

i gained at least 2 hours a week back of my life when i switched my entire home (four pcs out - all replaced by mac) to mac - my job as sysadmin got a whole lot easier thumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    spyware? what's that?

Andy, I can't tell you how many times I typed a similar response, then deleted it, then retyped it, never hitting the submit button. I was so tempted, but just...didn't want to rub it in. Thanks for doing it for me!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    I would doubt it's collecting info for support purposes!
    I too would disable it!! EXE files that are suspicious can really wreak havoc on your puter! I'd get a Spyware program and search for other "JUNK" on your puter immediately if not sooner!!
    I repsectfully disagree. These people are relatively well respected:

[url][/url]http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/tgcmd/
    Description: tgcmd.exe is a process associated with an online support software from SupportSoft. It is often used for on-line support by large manufacturers like Sony and Toshiba.
    I would therefore say it's unlikely to be an issue, but allowing your AV software to block its scripts is unlikely to be a problem. The hostilfe behaviour detection systems in consumer AV and firewalls are not all that good. Many of them just trap calls to certain APIs, and warn about anything doing that, so command scripts often get warnings thrown about them. To be fair though, hostile behaviour analysis is a non-trivial task.
    Scripts are deadly.....can do anything from collect info to deleting your hard drive.
    As are any executable processes on a typically configured Windows machine. Most Windows users still have a lot to learn about running as 'least priviledge' in which case most random scripts wouldn't be able to destroy the computer. Scripts should be considered effectively as programs, which is what they are.
    I have learned a LONG TIME ago......if it looks suspicious.....don't trust it!
    I agree.

Luke
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    No doubt that a Apple has more muscle under less resources!
    I'm afraid that I disagree with this given the current market. Apple's don't currently cut the computational power of Intel PCs, for the same cost. This seems increasingly to be true across the entire range from desktops to servers.

My Mac using friends tell me that Apple's flustration with IBM is largely due to performance issues.

However, I'm sure that this difference will soon become minimal when the Intel Macs roll out.

Unfortuantely, Mac will probably also have to use the indescribably awful x86 Intel architecture that PCs have struggled under for years now :-(

It's swings and roundabouts. x86 are fast and cheap but very ugly... (Hey maybe Apple will order white ones :): )

Luke
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    I'm afraid that I disagree with this given the current market. Apple's don't currently cut the computational power of Intel PCs, for the same cost. This seems increasingly to be true across the entire range from desktops to servers. Luke

I'd have to say that Macs are cheaper at the same level of power. True, PCs have some faster machines, but if you compare Apples to apples, as much as possible, Macs are competitively priced. Add in the fact that the total cost of ownership is much lower on Macs, and really it makes sense to get one.

EDIT: But all this is beside the point for Sam...who just wants his PC to work.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    spyware? what's that?

Andy + David,

You're in a really interesting position here.

I think it's reasonably well agreed that Apples only don't have all the problems of Windows machines because of their relatively small market penetration, rather than any technical reasons.

Now, this is excellent and makes Apples quite attractive. However, if too many people buy them then you'll loose all the benefits. On an individual scale you encourage their use, but on a mass use, being the miniority player is actually a really cool thing... So what to do? :):

It's interesting to note that NATO's security people are very keen on hetrogeneous networks because they add substantial resiliance. So we should all be happy for the Mac users. [Thank you grin]

I would really like a Mac to learn more about them, but at the moment can't afford the hardware of the time investiment to learn about them to the same level that I understand Windows. Ahh well, maybe one day...

Luke
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    Andy + David,

You're in a really interesting position here.

I think it's reasonably well agreed that Apples only don't have all the problems of Windows machines because of their relatively small market penetration, rather than any technical reasons. Luke

I don't want to take this too far afield, but:

Apples are more secure for technical reasons. They also have not been the focus of attacks as much because it's not Windows.

I would love for Mac to be the dominant OS, even if it did get attacked more.

And anyone who is interested in upgrading can get my help/tech support free of charge. I can offer this because I know that it's not hard to help a fellow Mac user.

Now, can someone who understands PC's help Sam?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'd have to say that Macs are cheaper at the same level of power.
    OK David, to be honest, I don't really know. I mearly rely on some extremely well informed Mac using people who I know (not saying you're not very well informed, of course :): )

If this is the case, why do you believe that Mac would have started using their hated enemy Intel's chips? I understood it was simply that the PowerPC architecture was simply not as fast...

Test cases are always very flaky indeed, however if we go for one temporarily... About 4 months ago, I bought a 3Ghz P4 with 2 days NBD replacement warranty for £300 from Dell, admitedly only 256Mb RAM, but a complete RAM replacement to 1024 was only ~£60. I would think even with a PowerPC architecture I would be very hard pushed to get 3GHz HT performance from the 1.25Ghz G4 and 167Mhz Bus, which seems all I'd be able to get for the money, and possibly not even that in the UK...

However of course true computational power assesments are near-on impossible, and if it 'appears' the same speed, then that's fine for a typical user...
    Add in the fact that the total cost of ownership is much lower on Macs
    I'm sorry, I don't understand your argument there. Why do you believe that TCO is lower for a Mac?
    and really it makes sense to get one.
    As I said earlier, I don't dispute that. :-)

As I have said elsewhere, I have no interest in religious arguments of Mac/PC, but I am interested in it from a technical perspective.
    EDIT: But all this is beside the point for Sam...who just wants his PC to work.
    True. If you feel this is too OT, then feel free to move or remove my posts.

Luke
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    Now, can someone who understands PC's help Sam?
    Sam. To be abolutely clear. I really hope you are not getting lost in this technical exchange.

My opinion would be:

-> Your machine is *probably* fine.

-> The script is *probably* harmless.

-> Removing or killing the script's activity will *probably* not do any damage either

-> Generally, if in doubt, play it safe.

If there is anything else that I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask. I like to think I can speak English as well as techno-babble when it helps.

Luke
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Apples are more secure for technical reasons.
    I would fairly strongly question this statement, however as you request I will not do so here, I consider my speech recognition software muted... I'd love to talk with you another time. :):

Luke
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    I would fairly strongly question this statement, however as you request I will not do so here, I consider my speech recognition software muted... I'd love to talk with you another time. :):

Luke

Discussion moved to PM.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Sam wrote:

THanks,

Sam
    Do you have broadband installed and use it on this computer? Is your broadband provider a digital cable company? This executable can be used to report info from the pc to a provider. CAN is the operative word here. I'm not saying it IS being used in that manner on your PC.

Cable companies are much more controlling of their broadband service than phone companies. You have to trust your provider's disclosed this info gathering and reporting program to you and that it's not abused.

To be safe, rename this file to "tgcmd.exe.old"....and it'll be invisible to the computer. If you later find you need to re-enable it, remove the ".old". It's an old sysadmin trick...if you can't find out or don't know what it does, rename it and see. No complaints...no issue.

my 2 cents.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    spyware? what's that?

But is this a feature, or a bug? yelrotflmao.gif I'm with you though, Windows hurt me too many times. I switched to linux instead. After so many (fun) arguments with my maccer friends, I couldn't be caught dead with a mac. icon10.gif

As for the OP, I would usually advise against running anything you're unsure of. In fact, my experience tells me if I didn't run it, I don't want it run. In this case, I'd deny it, and I'd do my best to find out what it is and remove it from the system. It's always tough though. When I used Windows, I just partitioned my harddrive and reformatted the Windows partition every couple months to keep it clean.ne_nau.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com