5d mark II speculation??

madmoosemadmoose Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited February 4, 2012 in Cameras
with the soon intro of the 5d mark III, would there be a general consensus that there would be a forseeable price drop in the mrk II regardless of the mark III's advances? at least initially? opinions?

reason for asking.. looking at getting the mark II but would hold off on the purchase if everybody else in the world thinks or knows that it would drop respectfully with the release of the new mark III.

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    I have never seen any solid market research regarding what exactly happens to used prices when a new camera generation comes out; but there are probably too many factors to make a good guess. If the 5D mk3 is everything everybody eve wanted, in a $2700 package, then yeah it will sell like hotcakes and the 5D mk2 will be fire-sold for something crazy like $1700 if you find someone desperate enough.

However, if the 5D mk3 drops the ball in ANY respect, from image quality / resolution to focus performance / speed, ...I doubt much will change with the 5D mk2 price.

Short version: The 5D mk3 has got to be a real home run for it to seriously affect the 5D mk2 used price all across the board.

Here's what I prefer to do- Just hawk the internet for an entire month. Watch 10-20 auctions on Ebay just to see where they end. Check KEH.com every other day. Check all the forums. Check Craigslist even. Regardless of how good or bad the 5D mk3 is, there is no substitute for "hitting the street" and doing some hard work scouring the web for a great deal.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    And consider the depreciation of the 5D as well; it's still worth $1k and its 5 years old now! I wouldn't have too much hope for a significant drop any time soon. I know I'm going to use my Mark II till it falls apart or explodes or burns or something drastic. Lol. It prints beautiful 24x36 prints even with ISO 3200 shots, so I don't really have any purpose for more than this camera until I travel to nasty environments or something that requires a higher end build.
  • madmoosemadmoose Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    thanks for the input guys! i have been hawking like crazy for the past several months.. and i have seen my deals. you guys have confirmed my inner thoughts :) im excited!
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    It's already happened. 5DII body only is $2169 at B&H and Calumet. The 5DII original retail price was $2700. Maybe it will get down to $2000, but I think you will lose at least $169 worth of photo opportunities if you wait for that. Or just buy a used one.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    B&H had it onsale for $1900 before Christmas if memory serves (maybe with rebates as well?), so it HAS dropped below that.....

I've been sitting on my hands over it for ages now. I really REALLY want to go FF, but can't bear giving up the 7d's AF and customization (particularly the latter). :cry
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Check http://the-digital-picture.com/News - there are 5DII deals posted often there.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    It's already happened. 5DII body only is $2169 at B&H and Calumet. The 5DII original retail price was $2700. Maybe it will get down to $2000, but I think you will lose at least $169 worth of photo opportunities if you wait for that. Or just buy a used one.

The 5D mk2 was actually listed at many major retailers for $1999 for a VERY brief period, right around new years. It went back up though. I'm assuming the used price will slowly fall down from the $2000 area over the next few months, but I don't think it will suffer any significant drops unless the 5D mk3 is a TRULY perfect camera, AND at a truly amazing price...

=Matt=
  • rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    i was able to buy one of my 5d2 at $1999 + tax... I doubt it will go lower than that.

unfortunately, it will be harder to sell my other one which I bought for the original price ($2500+) because this would mean I have to sell it lower than the current price.
    edited January 27, 2012
    I'm assuming the used price will slowly fall down from the $2000 area over the next few months, but I don't think it will suffer any significant drops unless the 5D mk3 is a TRULY perfect camera, AND at a truly amazing price...

=Matt=

It is conceivable that the 5DIII will land at $2300. That would be a 15% reduction in MSRP, which is the same reduction from the 1DsIII to the 1DX.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • madmoosemadmoose Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    thanks for all the input from everybody. i currently shoot a 40d and like it, but i think i would like to shoot full frame... with some cc rewards i have saved up i could get a new 5d II body for 1650, so i think im taking the plunge... don't get me wrong, im not looking at it as a depreciation issue, just didnt want to buy something for 2000 one month and the next month you could get it all day long for 1500 just because i was in the dark. so i really appreciate your best approach and insight
    edited January 27, 2012
    It is conceivable that the 5DIII will land at $2300. That would be a 15% reduction in MSRP, which is the same reduction from the 1DsIII to the 1DX.

That would almost be consistent with the 5D mk1 - 5D mk2 MSRP drop, however I just highly doubt it will happen considering the economy and the exchange rate, plus the "added features".

Bottom line- The 5D mk3 isn't just going to be the 5D mk2's replacement. It is the 1Ds mk3's replacement, for anyone who wants the megapixels. And Canon is going to capitalize on the fact that the lineup is going from $8K down towards $4K. I predict the 5D mk3 will be no less than $3K, probably a bit more, and almost COMPLETELY unlikely $2700.

Remember that in the previous generation, Canon sold BOTH an $8K flagship and a $4K flagship. Now they're going to a single $6.8K flagship. There's just no way that the next-lowest model is going to be $2300. That is the hugest price gap in the history of DSLR bodies. (Of course they could have the fabled "3D" up their sleeve to fill that ~$4K gap, but I dunno...)

Same thing with the D800- It's gotta fill the D3X's shoes, and as such rumors are putting it at $3500 or even $4K.

=Matt=
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2012
    I bet the 5D3 will be that "3D" that Matt mentioned... they'll likely call it the 5D3, but it'll have 5fps or more. Then they could make a 60D-like FF camera around $2000 - use the 5DII sensor and AF, add a flip screen, and make the body small and light. That camera would sell a bit, I think.
  • rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    actually, there is a rumor that they'll be calling it 5DX
    http://www.eoshd.com/content/6941/canon-5d-mark-iii-safari
    edited January 30, 2012
    It looks like a 7d with a battery grip...

... Confirmed, it's a 7D with a battery grip. I have mine sitting in my lap, and button for button that is a 7D.

That's exactly what I was thinking. They claim there's no popup, but on this monitor (crappy, to be fair) it looks like the seams for one are there.

Hmm.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    rhommel wrote: »
    actually, there is a rumor that they'll be calling it 5DX
    http://www.eoshd.com/content/6941/canon-5d-mark-iii-safari
    divamum wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was thinking. They claim there's no popup, but on this monitor (crappy, to be fair) it looks like the seams for one are there.

Hmm.

Actually the buttons on the left are labeled differently, but the body and location of all buttons are what the 7D uses. It is a different camera.
    edited January 31, 2012
    I'm confident there is no pop-up flash.

B3J8584.jpg
    -Jack

edited January 31, 2012
    Ah! Better picture. I think I was misreading where the eyepiece joins. It sure looks like the 7d though, doesn't it? What would "rate" be (on the lh side) - is that a video function?

I like that the quick menu button is more under the hand - I actually use that a lot more than I would have expected, and it would be nice to have it right under my thumb thumb.gif
    edited January 31, 2012
    Ah! Better picture. I think I was misreading where the eyepiece joins. It sure looks like the 7d though, doesn't it?

Yes and no. Many things are similar, but there are a lot of subtle differences like seams and bulges and buttons and text. Pick up your 7D and you'll see. It's definitely a new chassis.
    What would "rate" be (on the lh side) - is that a video function?

No clue, maybe it's a facebook function. ;-)
    -Jack

edited January 31, 2012
    thumb.gif

Oh, and Matt - if I'm not mistaken... isn't that symbol onscreen indicating some kind of no-menu instant zoom function like you've been begging for? :D
    edited January 31, 2012
    thumb.gif

Oh, and Matt - if I'm not mistaken... isn't that symbol onscreen indicating some kind of no-menu instant zoom function like you've been begging for? :D

I'm not sure what the symbol is implying, but it is NOT a symbol that shows on the 5D mk2 when zooming in, nor the 60D. Can't say about the 7D, but it's probably safe to bet that it's a new functional capability, and possibly the one that I'm in love with on my Nikons. Trust me, Canon shooters, you have NO IDEA what you're missing! This is the best feature since sliced bread.

=Matt=

[Edit] I jotted down an article with my thoughts on the subject. I think this "ULTIMATE" Canon DSLR is very possible!
    http://www.slrlounge.com/exciting-news-5d-mk3-testing-rumors-cameratalk-w-matthew-saville
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Rumors are this camera is something between the 5D and 1D line, like the long rumored 3D....

All I can say is the [Q] for quickzoom and the RATE button (like the 1Dx has) are a MUCH welcomed addition if this is a real cam going to production. For those of us who shoot on deadlines the rate button is a huge time saver, assuming we can download only the photos we rate!
  • jetputt56jetputt56 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2012
    Did It!!
    Like you, I was on the fence - buy the II or wait (forever) for the III. Found one at $2169 here in NJ - so it is proudly in my bag. Frankly, I gave up waiting for the III. Can't wait to use it today.
    edited February 4, 2012
    I'm not sure what the symbol is implying, but it is NOT a symbol that shows on the 5D mk2 when zooming in, nor the 60D. Can't say about the 7D, but it's probably safe to bet that it's a new functional capability, and possibly the one that I'm in love with on my Nikons. Trust me, Canon shooters, you have NO IDEA what you're missing! This is the best feature since sliced bread.

Matt, not arguing with you - I know this is a feature you've praised for ages and since I haven't used it, what do I know?! lol - but I find on my 7d reviewing quickly isn't a big deal. I press the arrow for replay with my left thumb, and hold down the zoom button with my right hand so it quickly goes to maximum magnification in what feels like 1 click (since I'm using both hands). How exactly does the Nikon feature work that makes it so sweet?

Congrats OP - enjoy!
    edited February 4, 2012
    Matt, not arguing with you - I know this is a feature you've praised for ages and since I haven't used it, what do I know?! lol - but I find on my 7d reviewing quickly isn't a big deal. I press the arrow for replay with my left thumb, and hold down the zoom button with my right hand so it quickly goes to maximum magnification in what feels like 1 click (since I'm using both hands). How exactly does the Nikon feature work that makes it so sweet?

Congrats OP - enjoy!

It just works a little faster, and gives you the advantage of zooming in off-center when your subject isn't dead-center, if you used the correct off-center focus point. The instant the image shows up for review, all you have to hit is "OK" (like SET) ...and you get 100% magnification of your subjects' face if it was the focus point. Done in 0.5 seconds instead of ~5+ seconds.

I suppose I wouldn't miss the feature as much on a Canon 5D mk2 if the dang thing would be more reliable to focus. But as it is, I have to check almost EVERY shot I take at f/2 or faster, especially if the subject is in motion.

As I have also said before, this is not as much of a slam of the 5D mk2's AF system as you may think it is. I am willing to admit that maybe I'm just sloppy with my focusing. (Although I like to think I'm VERY dang good when I need to be, I can get a 5D mk2 to nail focus if I try hard enough) ...However, if my Nikon focusing system has made me sloppy, IMO that just goes to show that the 5D mk2 / mk3 could stand to have an upgrade if they want to stay competitive.

The mk2 is still a fine camera. I'd use one for sure if I were a landscape, nature, studio, architectural, or certainly also a general portraiture photographer. But my full-time job is wedding photojournalism, and for that job I am hoping that the 5D mk3 takes things to a higher level of performance. :-)

=Matt=