Options

Mary Boxed In

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited January 30, 2012 in People
Another set from the cruise with Mary Celeste.

We were shooting in the adult pool area of the ship when we noticed this shelf. I looked at her, she looked at me and in she climbed. I'd have needed a crowbar to get out but Mary's dancer body had no problem.

p18692769-4.jpg

p120653465-4.jpg

p507654429-4.jpg

p303839500-4.jpg

5. and as long as we're in this area, a couple more outside the box
p158886666-4.jpg

p35640053-4.jpg
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Phew! For a second, the first thing that popped into my head when I read the title was "Boxing Helena". eek7.gifD

Absolutely love the expression in number two and three!!

Question, do you have any shots that her feet are coming out from inside the box? Reason I ask is that the box itself is cropping off her toes and a portion of her hands. I think the images would be stronger with them included.

Gotta say I'm not a big fan of five and six as the poses look contrived and unnatural to me. Even so, I do enjoy looking at this lovely girl.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    Thanks Bryce. You know I like your honesty.

Unfortunately, there was no angle where I could get directly in front of the "box". The area was VERY small and, since I had already ruined my 24-105 at this point, I was shooting the 50mm prime so I couldn't get far enough away without being in a fountain. Had already done that for this trip. rolleyes1.gif
    I agree with your point but it was either that or no frames at all so the choice was obvious.

ACTUALLY HERE'S A QUESTION FOR YOU ALL. Given the situation I described, would you have taken the box set or just passed on it? You know what I chose but what would you do?

As for the poses in 5 & 6, they're not really contrived as such. Mary is a dancer and I asked her to get some motion into the shoot (as suggested on here many times). Again, the area was very tight so she moved as much as she could. I kind of like her "Live Long and Prosper" hand position in # 5. mwink.gif
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Hi John...

Not sure if you have access to photoshop, but the rubbed skin marks on the back of her upper thigh area are killing it for me Also, since her head is a different color from the rest of her body it makes her look sunburned. You could lasso that area and change the color to look less ruddy. And one last thing... shooting a box at an angle makes it look like the box is not square.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    Thanks Heather. I do all my PP in CS5 so I'll go take a look at your suggestion.

Should I put you down as a vote to have skipped the box shoot??
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Here is the way I look at things like the "box scene". Remember, I'm rather new at location photography myself and still in a learning process that most likely will continue the rest of my life. I have started asking myself, "What is this setting/location going to add to the image?" Light? Ambiance? Leading Lines? does it set a mood? etc. If the answer is nothing, I move on and try to find something else.

I'm not sure what is in the area around the "box", but what did you think that the "box" was going to add to the image you had visioned?
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    No, you could still do it... just maybe at a more severe angle. At this "sort of" square angle it looks less intentional and more accidental. Just make it more intentional looking and you'd have it.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    Bryce, the area around the box is in #s 5 & 6.

Heather, thanks but there was really no place else to go.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    John, hate to be the one but the entire set bothers me. I don't care for the box but most of all is they lack direction of light. I've seem soooooo much better from you. Could I have done better.....probably not but I would have tried to find the light. Again its just an opinion and we've all got em and at times like to spout em off.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    No problem with the comment Hack but to be honest, you lost me on the light directionality.ne_nau.gif

This was natural light from the glass Solarium roof so it's all coming from one rather large source, above and to camera right.

Anyway, some is gonna like 'em sometimes and some is not so much gonna like 'em other times. Of everything there is to learn in photography, I think I've learned that the best of all.rolleyes1.gif