Options

At 200m on an VR or IS lens, what is the slowest shutter speed handheld for a novice?

John8John8 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited January 31, 2012 in Technique
Hi all, got a couple relative weddings to go to in March so looking to hire a 70-200mm IS lens for the occasions. I am no pro and not the official photographer (relief and pressure off) but would like to get some practice on these occasions.

Never done a wedding before but would imagine most of the time will be in low lights, I'm just wondering how far I can push (in term of shutter speed) before serious camera shake at 200mm lens with IS on. I am mainly looking for candid kind of shootings.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited January 30, 2012
    Nikon claims a 3-4 stop advantage for the Nikkor 70-200mm, f2.8G ED VR II, and many reviewers report that to be fairly accurate. (The 3 stop advantage is for the longer end of the zoom.) Your own shooting style and shooting stance can and will affect the actual numbers that "you" can hand hold. If you are a rifle shooter, use the "shooter's stance" for this lens too. If you are not a rifle shooter, find someone that is, that also knows the stance, and have them teach you.

If possible, a tripod will beat VR/IS-handheld any day. A monopod is a pretty good second choice. Bracing on a chair or a wall is also often an option. (You would use these techniques instead of VR/IS, as possible.)

Without knowing the camera settings and church light levels, it's impossible to be more definitive.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    70-200 isn't really an indoor low light lens. Maybe if you have to shoot from the back of the church and you have a rest....otherwise you would end up with a lot of blur.
    I would suggest looking at a more appropriate lens for low light indoor.
  • Options
    John8John8 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Thanks guys. I have read various places about how improve my stance and hold my camera, things like lean against something to steady myself, hold my breath when pressing the shutter, elbows against the body etc. All useful tips but i will need a lot of practice. Until then what I like to know is will the ratio of 200mm to 200/250th sec still apply on IS lens, or I might get away with shutter speed of 150th sec or less. Basically, is it worth paying extra for the IS mode when hiring one out.

Thanks again.

BTW I am using a humble secondhand Canon 50d with various cheap lenses. Recently I casually took interest in photography and now I am absolutely hooked. Wherever I am I always on the lookout for composition, background, lights, etc. even when I am without a camera. I trawl through the internet for tips and tricks late into the night, buy all the photography magazines that I can afford, I even flick through my missus magazines and women catalogs for ideas, my eyes constantly on the look out for advertising bill board to see other people work. The list goes on. I am addicted!! Am I normal? ;-)
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    John8 wrote: »
    Hi all, got a couple relative weddings to go to in March so looking to hire a 70-200mm IS lens for the occasions. I am no pro and not the official photographer (relief and pressure off) but would like to get some practice on these occasions.

Never done a wedding before but would imagine most of the time will be in low lights, I'm just wondering how far I can push (in term of shutter speed) before serious camera shake at 200mm lens with IS on. I am mainly looking for candid kind of shootings.

To answer you question..you can do 1/15s shutter speeds with some practice with VR on at 200mm. But note that this only effects camera shake. Unless the subjects are just standing you will get subject motion blur at that speed no matter.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Absolutely go for the IS, or OS, it is very much worth the extra expense!!! You can go way lower on the ratio with IS and if you are new to this you may end up with way more keepers than if you attempt without it for your first time doing this.
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com