Options

San Francisco

dongjcdongjc Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited January 31, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Trip through San Francisco with my camera and wanted to try some more! Enjoy!
i-ZLMkMqN-L.jpg
i-kGNT9HH-L.jpg
i-cKgxZjT-L.jpg
i-XSZB36d-L.jpg
i-QK2jNMG-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Nice Walk around.
    One quick suggestion all these would benefit from closer.

I like last one best, for it's unintended (i could be wrong) juxtaposition.
  • Options
    dongjcdongjc Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    Nice Walk around.
    One quick suggestion all these would benefit from closer.

I like last one best, for it's unintended (i could be wrong) juxtaposition.

Thanks for the advice! That's definitely something I'm trying to figure out; part of it is I think I need a wider angle lens... that would force me to get closer and allow me to catch more.

And actually the juxtaposition was intentional:D
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    dongjc wrote: »
    ...part of it is I think I need a wider angle lens... that would force me to get closer and allow me to catch more.

I'm not sure a wide angle lens is necessary. A simple 50mm (FF) gets you in someone's face pretty quick....
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    dongjc wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice! That's definitely something I'm trying to figure out; part of it is I think I need a wider angle lens... that would force me to get closer and allow me to catch more.

And actually the juxtaposition was intentional:D

Hmmm wider to get closer? might have diminishing returns when they realize you're shooting.

The old convention of getting closer may no longer be valid with digital and cropping ability. Too close and you get distortion.

Have you tried a little more highlight/shadow for higher contrast?
    Rags
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Getting wider and closer are two orthogonal but complementary things. Getting closer with a wide angle really gives you a "I'm there" feel, that cropping or other digital techniques do not give. This is the experience you get from reading lots of books :-), looking at other people's photos and of course go out and shoot.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    richardman wrote: »
    Getting wider and closer are two orthogonal but complementary things. Getting closer with a wide angle really gives you a "I'm there" feel, that cropping or other digital techniques do not give. This is the experience you get from reading lots of books :-), looking at other people's photos and of course go out and shoot.

+1

This exact method is mentioned in a free Craft&Vision Ebook I read on a plane back from D.C. one time.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Welcome to DGrin Street & PJ!

I like the woman in #2 deciding whether to play her winning hand or chase you off... :D And the cake and guy in #3 is so out of place. Nice early set. Keep shooting...

And you are right about closer with a wider lens. Richardman and Quincy T have it right in that it gives a very different point of view and experience than does a wider lens. Similar results cannot be achieved with longer and cropping. (For an example of close and wide, see my "5, 1, 35, 14" thread)