Options

PhotoShop technique question

nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
edited January 31, 2012 in Finishing School
I had a friend ask me if i knew how to convert a photograph into something like this, so she can paint it on canvas. Anyone have any ideas? I did a quick search for some actions, but really don't know what to call this style of art? Suggestions?
Nicole
D3, and other Nikon goodies
Shilliday Photography
Blog
Facebook

Comments

• Options
    senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Threshold may work pretty well for you. Here's an example. I opened this file:

step-1-M.jpg

Then navigate to Image>Adjustments>Threshold and you will get only black and white values...use the slider to adjust the amount of each, and you have something like this:

step-2-M.jpg

Now add a curves adjustment layer and raise the black point straight up to lighten the blacks to taste;

step-3-M.jpg

Is that about what you were looking for?
    Jay
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Perhaps look into the posterize command, as having a larger amount of limited shades (8 or so) may help more than a true bi-level effect.

You could even try threshold after reducing complexity via posterize. You may also wish to look into small gaussian blur combined with median, smart blur or surface blur to further reduce complexity of the original.

If you have Adobe Illustrator, I would also look into the LiveTrace command (or perhaps the vector tracing of other apps). One can even make Photoshop create a vector tracing from a simplified original, which can help with smoothing out lines and creating a certain look.

Stephen Marsh
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    This reminds me of all those effects I played with when I was first learning but seldom touch now. That's probably my loss. There are probably good uses for a number of them.
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Posterize generally makes it the easiest with being able to choose the depth of shading you want
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    You might want to look at Deke McClelland techniques for converting an image into line art. With some mod's it might work for you. http://www.lynda.com/home/Player.aspx?lpk4=96854&playChapter=False You will have to sign up with Lynda to view it though.

I had a friend ask me if i knew how to convert a photograph into something like this, so she can paint it on canvas. Anyone have any ideas? I did a quick search for some actions, but really don't know what to call this style of art? Suggestions?
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I will see what i can do!
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook