Options

Tips to minimize a bustline?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited February 1, 2012 in People
I know, I know - usually it's the opposite! But I'm doing headshots tomorrow for a gal who is actually really slim overall, but rather topheavy. Any particular tips (lighting or posing) to help make sure she doesn't look bigger than she is?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    Anybody? Obviously, try to light other areas more and use lightfalloff to minimize where possible, but any other tips? Thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Duct Tape. :D

Hesitate to add this as I'm sure you are going to do this anyway, but make sure the main light source is on the opposite side of the direction she's facing.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    Thanks Bryce. You mean short lighting (which I get by having them face body to 45* light, then turn head back to me)? Yup. thumb.gif But the problem is that her face and frame aren't large - she's just busty relative to the rest of her body. Superslim legs. Maybe I need to ensure lots of 3/4 shots so that's clear....

~muses~ ~thinking out loud~ headscratch.gif

ETA: she has less-than-perfect skin, so I'm thinking she'll do welll with some butterfly/modified buttefly. I just need to figure out how to get plenty of falloff between face and chest. Smaller light source placed closer?
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    I'm going to have to see photos of said "Top-heavy gal that is really slim overall with super slim legs" to really be of any help.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    Thanks Zooms :)

Alex: rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    I'm going to have to see photos of said "Top-heavy gal that is really slim overall with super slim legs" to really be of any help.

.....yes this is really the best way for us to be of "help".... Good thinking AC.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    I recently took a candid picture of a friend that was pg with TWINS. She was standing pretty much straight on wearing a black top, next to a buddy and you could NOT see her belly at all, in fact she looked just as good if not better than her buddy that was wearing some other color. It literally just disappeared.. thought somehow this might help.....black turtle neck maybe??
    This is covered in a book I have , if I can find it in this mess from moving, I'll be back to post his advice..
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    found it!!
    hehehee my photography "stuff" always had top priority when I was in charge. Jeff Smith says....
    comes down to controlling highlights and shadows. posing in respect to main light..dark clothing ..black is best.... Black hides the distinct contours...Bustline is determined by the appearance of shadow in the in the cleavage or under bust.. reduce or or elimenate the shadows in those 2 areaS, TURN THE BODY SUBJECT TOWARD THE MAIN LIGHT opps did'nt mean to use caps. hope this helps, glad I retained something from my time spent reading.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Another example of solutions looking for "problems." mwink.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Another example of solutions looking for "problems." mwink.gif
    well John, Jeff's book includes 2 illustrations, one to maximize and the other to minimize maybe you need to proof the book to be sure they are correct, lol.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    You guys are too funny!!

In the end, it wasn't an issue - sorry to disappoint rolleyes1.gif Weird, because when I saw her last weekend, I thought "CRAP how do I shoot that?" and today she looked much more proportionate. I'm guessing different bra plus shirt choice.

Anyway, just finished. Very VERY fun shoot and looking forward to going through it!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    I guess it's too late but place a gobo between the main and her chest to block some of the light from hitting that area. We use to do that with bald guys and folks with large ears. Place the blocker so it casts a slight shadow over the concerned area. In PP you've always got liquify to make em smaller.
    Glad it worked out for you
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    Thanks Charles (I'd been hoping you would respond :). Definitely filing that away for future reference!!!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    In PP you've always got liquify to make em smaller.
    Boy, would I feel like a creeper . . . I have a hard enough time with zits.
    John :
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Next question: how to shorthen the legs? mwink.gifrofl
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    I saw a tutorial on liquifying sometime back, lmao, it's true, it works one way, why not the other way, lol. Who would have thought?
    Don't click this unless you want to know how too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrZb0GRVKjg

Edit to add, I have watched 40-50 vids on LR3 and CS5 to learn how to work with images lol. Not big into CS5, but laughed when I saw that one.
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Considering most paid a fortune to aquire it, I would be very careful with minimizing bustlines... might get you whacked around the ears rolleyes1.gif (or they go for bigger ones mwink.gif)
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    Not sure whether to :bash or rolleyes1.gif :lol4

Seriously - if you'd seen her as I did a few days ago, you'd have been asking too! Not every image is about bazonkers - professional headdshots being used outside the arts world (she has a concurrent consulting career in addition to her musical life) can't really emphasise the, uh, assets.

But, as I say, it turned out to be a non-issue.

Now y'all can go read some of John Galt's threads to get it out of your systems! :giggle (you know I love you all really iloveyou.gif)
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Boy, would I feel like a creeper . . . I have a hard enough time with zits.

In the context of this thread, I think you're one consonant adrift there, John... rolleyes1.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifIf the voice ever gives....

ummm..... I'm thinking.... "Diva.0"

If people are unaware of Tosh.0, this post is going to seem rather stupid. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    In the context of this thread, I think you're one consonant adrift there, John... rolleyes1.giflol3.gif

I need more coffee. I've been sitting here trying to change consonants in "creeper" to make something funny . . . rolleyes1.gif
    John :
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2012
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Just to put a button on this, here's a sneak peak from the shoot. Sorry to disappoint, guys!

i-LnbvS4Z-L.jpg
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2012
    Lol, thanks for the first laugh of the day Diva. Move along guys, nothing to see here lol. I'm glad it all worked out. One less thing to have to deal with during the shoot.
  • Options
    lilirishangellilirishangel Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2012
    Diva

Love the second one, really stands out
    the first one looks like she was having fun..
    "MOTIVATION WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BEAT MERE TALENT." Anonymous

www.snaploonphotography.com