Options

MC 15 - Still Growing

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
edited February 4, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
It shouldn't surprise me that life has a way of throwing new challenges our way. But the variety of opportunities to stretch and grow always seems to catch me off guard. I am "still smiling" in spite of the latest challenges, and I cherish my time with the camera as much needed R & R.

I may come up with better "words" for this album cover but wanted to ask for input on the images and the way I've combined them. Self-portraits and combining two very different images are both new to me.

Thanks,
Gretchen

1a. First Attempt
i-592bCQm-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2012
    I was thinking about trying this technique after seeing it in the Assignments here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=175407. Maybe Nikolai can give you some feedback on the way you have done it.

The tree almost looks like a wild hairdo. :D Maybe try reversing and have the BG in B&W and the SP in color? I am not sure it will look better, but I'd like to see it.

Overall, nice SP and the BG is very pretty.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2012
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I was thinking about trying this technique after seeing it in the Assignments here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=175407. Maybe Nikolai can give you some feedback on the way you have done it.

The tree almost looks like a wild hairdo. :D Maybe try reversing and have the BG in B&W and the SP in color? I am not sure it will look better, but I'd like to see it.

Overall, nice SP and the BG is very pretty.

Sounds like I need to do more work to make this blend work well or work on another idea.:D Thank you for taking the time to give me feedback on this!

When I first started working on combining these the first thing that came to mind is the way we work so hard to avoid having people look like they have trees growing out of their heads. Laughing.gif

I did see the dissolved portrait assignment, and I think the technique is a little different as Nikolai wasn't looking for a textured portraits but replacing some of the subject with the background. But his tips for that may help with this idea, and perhaps my blend would work better if I did dissolve more of the portrait layer. I took some shots yesterday with that technique in mind (self-portrait with background and then just the background) but didn't work on those yet.

Thanks again!

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2012
    Any thoughts on these? Tweaked #1 for 2a and 2b and played partially dissolving the portrait in 3a and 3b.

Getting tired of looking at myself! :D

Cheers,
    Gretchen

Note: The only differences between the pictures in 2a & 2b is the words and the way I've done the lettering. The processing of the layers is the same. Ditto for 3a and 3b. Thanks!

2a. Branching Out (increased opacity of portrait in 1a)
    i-bPqqvSj-L.jpg

2b. Still Growing (increased opacity of portrait in 1a)
    i-K4jKBhT-L.jpg

3a. Branching Out (dissolved portions portions of 1a)
    i-95KWCNM-L.jpg

3b. Still Growing (dissolved portions portions of 1a)
    i-SJQGjDx-L.jpg
  • Options
    SAMBALAMSAMBALAM Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2012
    I think you have a great idea with these pictures. I have a couple of comments. First, I think 2a/2b are the best. I have been looking at them for a couple of minutes and can't really tell the difference. I like them better than 1 because I can't see the limbs of the tree on your face. At first glance, it makes you look like you have a lot of wrinkles! eek7.gif I am not a big fan of 3 because you loose a lot of your SP and it begins to look like the SP is out of place and forced into the picture. I have NO experience with this type of editing, so I don't know if I can be much help. I love the colors in the tree picture so I don't know if I want to see you turn it to B&W. However, when I envision this picture, I would like to see the opacity way down so you can almost just see the outline of your face. I don't know if this is possible, but I would think it would look really cool. Just a thought!:D
  • Options
    NelsonKNelsonK Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2012
    I like 1a the best. I agree with SAMBALAM about potentially reducing the opacity of the SP a bit further, but I like seeing just a bit more of your shoulders incorporated in the shot as in 1a. The BG colors are great with the branches in silhouette. I think the challenge in this type of composite is finding the point where both images carry the weight you intend without one obscuring the other. You have two great images, so follow you instincts and vision for the final blend.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2012
    SAMBALAM and NelsonK, thank you both for your helpful input. I've been working on a few more edits and you have both given me a few more ideas to try. I will probably need to do more work on whatever I decide to enter but it is very helpful to get some feedback on these.

My current opportunity to grow is welcoming my son and grandson to make their home with us for awhile (because of an impending divorce). i am sad for this little family, happy to help, and realistic enough to know that there will be some challenges along with blessings. :) We were empty nesters for a year or so and now have our oldest and youngest sons back home. Glad we didn't downsize yet!

Cheers,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    Seeking input on 4 new edits
    New edits:

4. still growing ("posterized")
    i-DW99LRz-L.jpg

5. still growing (blue filter, softer feel)
    i-s5hFnQP-L.jpg

6. still growing (blue photo filter + posterized)
    i-g664dvS-L.jpg

This last is a very quick attempt to blend a color version of the self-portrait with the tree at sunset. I'd be interested in hearing whether folks are drawn to the bw portrait against the color background or color on color?

7. still growing (layers would need re-blending as this composite has some problems)
    i-RV9V3Zz-L.jpg

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    3a and 3b give me the feeling of the tree having a face. I kind of like that. If you decide to go for that effect, you might try shrinking your image a bit.

I really like color on color!

The other thing you might try is flipping the tree image horizontally so the trunk is on the side of your face instead of obscured by it. I'm not sure I would like it better, but in #7 now, the branches of the tree kind of come out of nowhere.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    I agree on the color version and the full head. I am having a hard time with branches growing out of the head. But you have done better than I would have done if I was in the Mega
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    I love the idea and colors in 3b. thumb.gif

I would try moving your head down and left away from the center of the tree. I agree with others that the branches seem to be emerging from your head. But a simple re positioning of your head would fix that and still maintain the idea you are going for IMO.
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2012
    Thank you all for the input. I hope to find time to continue working on this idea over the weekend.

Gretchen
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    I also like the color version best, but think you could further develop the idea of showing the tree as having a face - might play with positioning & size of your SP & different levels of opacity to see what works best. Maybe smaller & upward to the right, or maybe lots larger, with your eyes in the branches & your nose following the trunk of the tree - that one might be creepy though (but might be fun to play with!)! I don't think for a SP that it's required that you show more than part of yourself - and making it not so obvious adds a bit of a "look a little closer" factor.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2012
    Here are my latest attempts to move the sp a bit away from the tree. Lillian, thank you for your helpful input! I'll try to look at playing with the "tree having a face" idea tomorrow, but thought I'd post these for input now. (I'm leaning toward 8 just now but would need to redo the blend to make it cleaner around the hair.)

Thanks,
    Gretchen

8. Still Growing (self-portrait to the left)
    i-vP27RxR-L.jpg

9. Still Growing (tree image flipped horizontally, self-portrait to the right)
    i-cc3fWp7-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2012
    I think having your head tilted toward the center of the photo works better (#9 vs #8). And I think you can get away with flipping the tree. I don't know that you could get away with flipping your face. It would probably work for those of us that don't know you in the real world, but your family might find it off. I also think the size of the SP works in #9.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    OK, and here is a subtle take on the tree having a face. What do you think? Current favorites?

i-vz6xsL3-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I think having your head tilted toward the center of the photo works better (#9 vs #8). And I think you can get away with flipping the tree. I don't know that you could get away with flipping your face. It would probably work for those of us that don't know you in the real world, but your family might find it off. I also think the size of the SP works in #9.

Thank you for sticking with this and giving me input on these! Really not my comfort zone! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    Think I'm Going to Enter This One....
    I am going to enter this shot, but welcome further input.

Thanks,
    Gretchen

i-LjNHPsG-L.jpg