Spam

laplap Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited February 2, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I'm getting bombarded with spam..... Any suggestions???Thanks, lisa

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Do you have your email address in the clear anywhere on your SmugMug or other websites?
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    Not sure if I'm allowed to recommend a program - if not then I apologise and please delete. I have used MailWasher (http://www.mailwasher.net/) for years now. There is a free version and a "Pro" version. It allows you to view email at your ISP server before it gets downloaded to your computer. You can "train" it to automatically label certain emails as spam. Made my email life much more pleasant. Note: I have sent you a PM about another matter.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • laplap Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Do you have your email address in the clear anywhere on your SmugMug or other websites?

what do you mean in the clear?? Sorry...
    Thanks,
    Lisa
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Andy asked if you posted your email address anywhere on your site (or any other site on the internet) for everyone to see and click on, like email me at myemail@domain.com . Looking at your SmugMug site, it appears you don't have it, but use our contact form instead so you should be fine in that regard.

Even if you don't use your email anywhere and don't sign up for free services, newsletters etc., you would likely still end up with spam. Spambots nowadays may just try out any possible email address combination without regard if it's valid or not. That means spam is something you can't avoid receiving. You can just set up a good spam filter or use an email service that does good spam filtering. Personally I've been using Gmail for many years and am happy with their spam filtering. It's only occasionally that a good email or newsletter I want to read ends up in spam.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    I've been using SpamSieve for the last few years. Once you set it up with Mail and train it, it filters 99% of spam.