Options

New here my first share CC welcome!

3smiles3smiles Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited February 4, 2012 in People
At this point I am a mom with a camera but I have always dreamed of doing more with it!

That stated here is what I got of my 8.5yr old today.
IMG_2298.JPG
SOOC ISO 800 f3.2 tv 1/1250
Here is my B&W I did in PSE9.0
IMG_2298%2Bbw%2Bwm.jpg

If you have any advice on the best place to learn please let me know as the nearest school that offers any courses is over an hour away. I have self taught just by reading forums online. I have a bunch of friends that really want me to jump into business but I don't feel ready.
Liza

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    The second print is much better. Watch out for direction of light. One side should be brighter than the other but not always. Think of Rembrandt and his work, you want to try to light that way. Watch out for the slouching, always start with a good base wether it be the feet of the bum when sitting. If that is right the rest seems to go better. It might help more to say how you did it, then we could go from there in more detail.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    #2 is going to be better no matter what, whether you did it in B&W or color. #1 has way too much negative space over the head. Along with that, in both of the images, there is this very bright light in the bottom right corner which pulls the eye well off target. Certainly a beautiful daughter, and if you continue learning and innovating, you will be more than a mom with a camera. Only if you really want to be, though.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    These days with our mega pixel cameras it is better to shoot with the 8 x 10 in mind and plan on a crop for other aspect ratios. In that respect you are right on target. So I guess I have to disagree about the negative space... You have left enough room in your original photo for a generous 8 x 10 crop, which is exactly what you should do, especially for this type of indoor portrait. Maybe a smidge too much but not all that much.

The rest of the photo is sort of plain. More of a school photo type thing. Your lighting is very basic and sort of flat, but all of that comes with practice and time shooting! You'll get there!

She is absolutely adorable... perfect to practice on! Bribe her with silly photos and she'll let you practice on her!
  • Options
    scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    2 is the best because of what the others said above.. welcome to the site.
    check out some of my pics on my smug mug site.
    http://www.scotthofferphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    Thanks! I will take that all in. I was trying to cut out some light from the direct sun coming in to the camera's right and a reflector on the left. I had a white sheet over the window so I should have pulled my ISO down to 400 and played at that.
    Here are two others SOOC
    IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2355.JPG

This is my pull back of the room but today I had the backdrop at a 90degree from the window covering up where the door is.
    IMG_0395.JPG
    Liza
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Lets see more of it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Go for 8" X 10" or bigger, there is always time for cropping.thumb.gif
    WELCOME.
    Y.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2012
    some shots from yesterday!
    IMG_2408.JPG
    ^here is my SOOC f 4.5 TV 1/640 ISO 1600
    Here is my pull back
    IMG_2404.JPG

B&W
    IMG_2408%2Bcopybw%2Bcopy.jpg

IMG_2408%2Bcopy.jpg
    Liza
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    Liza, it's always helpful if you number your images. That makes it much simpler for us to refer to particular shots.

IMO the most pleasing of your images is the one where your daughter is holding the "E", You have what's known as split lighting. Very simple, but in this case it works nicely because of the softness you get from the large light source. Some work with levels will make that a keeper.

The image above that is approaching perfection as an example of what we (unkindly) call "horror lighting." The main source of light is below, shining upward. See the shadows on her cheeks under her eyes? Those areas should be lighter than the areas lower on her cheeks, below her cheekbones. You will often use a reflector to get a little light under the chin, but that's only when you have good light from above. You almost NEVER want stronger light from below the face. Unless the cute girl is really an axe murderer.

With respect to framing your shot in camera, make sure you err on the side of having more subject than you need, not more BG. For ex: in your first image, I'd have had her head in the upper third of the viewfinder. That would have given me a lot more body and dress to crop out if I didn't want it. The way you shot it, you don't have the option.

I like your ingenuity in using what you have to modify your light sources. If you're going to continue shooting with available light, GET A TRIPOD. Lower your ISO. your images will thank you.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    Thanks for your CC and time! I will work on these things as you are all so helpful!
    Liza