WIll Using Filters WIth Digital Mimic Filters With Film

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited February 5, 2012 in Technique
I have been playing around with black and white conversions. None of my images give me the look that I used to get shooting black and white film without playing with them.

It dawned on me that I almost always used a green filter when shooting people/portraits with black and white. So, question is, will using that same green filter with digital technology give me similar results when I convert to black and white without having to "play with it"?

Now I know what my mom was talking about. I've spent too much time playing with these conversions. I'm almost going blind!:D

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    Bryce, this doesn't answer your direct question, but I'm going to echo what (I think) somebody else mentioned to you about your BW conversions: Lightroom.

Seriously, it is SO MUCH better at that particular job than Photoshop. There are loads of great presets (free and/or purchased) which offer both film emulations and the antique look you like, and you can further tweak every element of a preset to your own taste quickly and easily.

That's not to say it can't be done in Photoshop -I have a couple of PS BW actions which are really good - but I do find that most of my conversions are done in LR, and I'm always happier with the results and the control to get those results.

ANyway, hope somebody can answer the Q about the green filter! thumb.gif
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    I know, I know, you're about the umpteenth person that has suggested I buy and use Lightroom for a myriad of reasons. I tried the trial, but not enough to get familiar or comfortable with it.

I'm just having a hard time breaking into my 17-35 2.8 savings bank to buy it.....I want that lens sooooo bad....
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    :giggle Have you checked out the various discount programs (eg educational, PPA etc) and/or stalked it for sales? It comes up at good prices quite regularly. I was fortunate in having had access to a college copy of LR2 gratis, but I liked it enough (read: couldn't live without it) that I actually ~gasp~ paid for the upgrade to 3.0 when it came out (and will likely do the same with 4.0 when it's released and got the first kinks out). It really is worth it for so many reasons ... thumb.gif
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Well, after a bit of searching, I found my answer. The short answer is no, don't bother. For those of you interested in the details...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm