Options

LR 4 vs LR 3 color rendering

chasgrohchasgroh Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited February 5, 2012 in Finishing School
...I feel like I'm missing something simple...I've been working in Lightroom 4 Beta on some pre-LR 3 images...all NEF and processed in the 2012 version. All goes quite well *until* I post one up to the net...my colors become washed-out, badly! This condition does not show up at all on my monitors, I've re-calibrated, etc. I've never had this problem utilizing LR 3, so it leads me to believe it has something to do with the 2012 setting. (...but deep down inside, I'm sure it's something to do with the operator...heh.)

cg

Comments

• Options
    edited February 5, 2012
    ...OK, here's an addendum; I just uploaded one of my suspect images to my Smugmug page...looks fine...I'm stumped...

http://www.marchingpix.com/Art-Lunacy/Framing/20567916_C5m3Wt#!i=1699196846&k=GpbfT7R

...here's a link to my FB page, hopefully you'll be able to see the not-same, drab version...

http://www.facebook.com/Charlie.Groh

cg
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    You have to convert to sRGB and even then, depending on the web browser, it could very well preview differently since it is not ICC aware (which LR and Photoshop among others are). IF you build a Flash web gallery, that too can be an issue. LR 3’s were NOT color managed, LR4’s are.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 5, 2012
    LR 4 does not import previous versions of catalogs from LR3 or LR2, so any editing previously done in LR, unless exported as a tif or jpg, is not available in LR4 Beta.

What were your exact steps via LR4?

And as Steve asked, you did export your files for the web as an sRGB jpgs, didn't you? Open one of your files that you uploaded, in Photoshop, or a suitable exif reader, and see if the file is really tagged as sRGB. Edit ->Convert to Profile, and read the source color space, then Cancel.

The rendering profiles which were updated in 2010 in LR3, have been updated again in LR4, for 2012.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2012
    ...thanks, guys. The image in question is in ProPhoto RGB (that's coming out of LR4...I have PS set for sRGB, I suppose I need to change LR's output)...process went from original NEF, LR4 processing, out to Topaz and back as a TIF, into PS and out as a PSD where it stacked back into LR...from there output as a jpeg. I talked with an uber-geek friend and he kinda put in understandable terms: don't expect FB OR G+ to provide great compression, and when looking at my output on both my computer and Smugmug, well, he says if you want to provide a great image in those formats you need to link it up. Makes sense...

cg