Options

Soon To Buy Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 Opinions Wanted

OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited October 5, 2005 in Cameras
Good morning foks,
I am about to buy the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lense For my Canon 20D ( I know its a staple with most Sports Photogs and I cant afford Canon L Yet) My question isnt so much about the Lense but more about the Telephoto Converters for it.

I was planning on getting the Sigma 1.4 converter and have heard some nice things about it, however the Sigma 2.0 converter would give me alot more reach for football/softball/baseball providing I have enough light however I have heard a few negativesabout the 2.0 . Are the rumors true the 2.0 is alot slower on focus and images alot softer and would it be worth the 100mm it would give me over the 1.4?

Im already sold on the 1.4 but need to hear more about the 2.0

Any and all comments/opinions will be appreciated and surely needed

Thanks
Brad Fite :D
www.fitephotography.com
Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,895 moderator
    edited October 3, 2005
    Brad,

I just purchased the Sigma 70-210, f2.8, 82mm threads, or the predecessor to the lens you are considering. It's about a 10 year old lens, and it isn't fully compatible with modern digital Canon cameras, but first tests are encouraging, so I think I'll be keeping it. (I didn't pay very much for it.)

It is supposed to be optically similar to the modern Sigma 70-200, f2.8.

Color and contrast are good to excellant, and sharpness is very good, even wide open. I shot a night HS football game a week ago, and the lens performed very well indeed. The only problem I had was tracking a subject moving very fast towards me at 200mm. The newer lens is supposed to be much better at this.

I shot around 85-90% in focus, which is good considering the older motor technology my lens has. The newer version should be better yet. Some of the out-of-focus shots could be because the lens was sensing an area other than subject, so it may not be a true focus problem.

The newer version is supposed to have some vignetting on full-frame cameras, but should not be a problem on the 20D.

I'll post some examples later tonight.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    Sigma 70-210mm, f2.8 samples
    EXIF
    Model - Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
    ExposureTime - 1/400 seconds
    FNumber - 2.80
    ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
    ISOSpeedRatings - 1600
    ExifVersion - 220
    DateTimeOriginal - 2005:09:26 20:04:28
    MeteringMode - Multi-segment
    Flash - Not fired, compulsory flash mode
    FocalLength - 210 mm
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    ExposureTime - 1/320 seconds
    FNumber - 2.80
    ISOSpeedRatings - 1600
    DateTimeOriginal - 2005:09:26 20:04:28
    FocalLength - 210 mm
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    ExposureTime - 1/125 seconds
    FNumber - 2.80
    ISOSpeedRatings - 1600
    FocalLength - 210 mm
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    ExposureTime - 1/250 seconds
    FNumber - 2.80
    ISOSpeedRatings - 1600
    FocalLength - 210 mm
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    ExposureTime - 1/160 seconds
    FNumber - 2.80
    ISOSpeedRatings - 1600
    ExifVersion - 220
    DateTimeOriginal - 2005:09:26 21:39:20
    FocalLength - 210 mm
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    Brad,

Now that I have a little more time, to reread and digest your original post, I realize you were interested in opinions on the teleconverters, not the lens itself.

I am looking for teleconverters myself, so I'd be likewise interested in opinion and tests.

Sorry for the cross-post. I can remove this stuff, if you wish.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Hey Ziggy,
    No leave them up , your the only one to respond in several days, appreciate your photos and effort. I hope someone can help us both out here ! Seems this thread is neglected. I have searched for this topic but cant seem to find the info Im looking for. Maybe I should change the title if thats possible.
    Brad Fite :D
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
    Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    Onrey wrote:
    Hey Ziggy,
    No leave them up , your the only one to respond in several days, appreciate your photos and effort. I hope someone can help us both out here ! Seems this thread is neglected. I have searched for this topic but cant seem to find the info Im looking for. Maybe I should change the title if thats possible.
    Hi Onrey,

I have this lens and 2x teleconverter for my Nikon D70. The downside at least with the 2x (prob the 1.4x too) is you loose AF. You may want to look at my Salinas Air Show pictures from last weekend. Virtually all of the non-static display shots were taken with my 80-400 and the 2x teleconverter. In all fairness, with the fast-moving jets/planes and in manual focus, they aren't as sharp as they would be for more stationary subjects. I also have some detailed shots from Notre Dame in Paris where I used the same setup that will show better the level of clarity that combo will do for you.

On a side note, I'm going to sell both my Sigmas and 2x. They're fine for landscape, but the AF of both are slow and "hunt" pretty badly shooting birds/planes where there's a lot of blue sky. Just something to think about depending on what you plan on using them for.

I hope this helps, and if you can't find the photos email me and I'll send you back a couple of links.

Take care,
    Jack
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM