Options

Garage headshots

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited February 8, 2012 in People
A few more on my quest to get some more directional lighting in my garage.

Self portait with some facial hair. I just returned from a week of skiing. I wanted a shot before my wife made me shave.
2512-12-L.jpg
Daughter #1 was willing.
2512-6-L.jpg
Son was game after some cajoling.
2512-4-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Howdy Mitch,
    Your light is missing crispness... I think they call it specular highlights... Perhaps asome post processing to spice it up... Another thought is Maybe a reflector from the side & or rear or both too...
    I have to tell you... I'm impressed you have enough room in your garage to shoot in... How do you do it? ...lol
    Show us more...
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Love the light, and all three of you look great. I particularly like the way your eyes caught the reflections.

I think, though, I like your garage shots when you DON'T have the plain bg behind (is that a roll of seamless, or...?) One of the things I love about your "Standard" Garage shot is the depth that the cabinets behind give - it's not a flat surface, but one which suggests something else.

Btw, I spent a great deal of effort trying to recreate Magic Garage Light (aka the NY loft look) in my living room. Have a look at threads here (the shoot) and here (post 365 in the pullbacks thread)
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2012
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    Howdy Mitch,
    Your light is missing crispness... I think they call it specular highlights... Perhaps asome post processing to spice it up... Another thought is Maybe a reflector from the side & or rear or both too...
    I have to tell you... I'm impressed you have enough room in your garage to shoot in... How do you do it? ...lol
    Show us more...

You don't really need a large garage for these. The subject sits just inside the opening and the photographer can be outside.

Interesting thought on the light. I think it's supposed to be less specular. The garage opening acts like a giant softbox. Certainly not everyone's taste.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Love the light, and all three of you look great. I particularly like the way your eyes caught the reflections.

I think, though, I like your garage shots when you DON'T have the plain bg behind (is that a roll of seamless, or...?) One of the things I love about your "Standard" Garage shot is the depth that the cabinets behind give - it's not a flat surface, but one which suggests something else.

Btw, I spent a great deal of effort trying to recreate Magic Garage Light (aka the NY loft look) in my living room. Have a look at threads here (the shoot) and here (post 365 in the pullbacks thread)

Thanks, DM.

Funny that you prefer the shots with my cabinets as a background. I too like the warm color from the wood, but I'm trying to shoot at a bit of an angle to have the light be less flat, and the sides of my garage are lined with shelves, etc... with just too much clutter to act as a backdrop. That is a large roll of white seamless.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    I think you nailed the nice, soft pleasing light you were looking for. Perhaps the reason the shots aren't quite popping, however, is you haven't lit the seamless. I know this is a natural light project, but because you haven't lit your seamless, it's rendering as a sort of washed out gray. I personally prefer high key shots where you over light the white so it blows out and is pure white. The subject then pops off the background more. Obviously you'd have to have daylight balanced lights to do that or else you'll get a weird color cast.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2012
    Good points on the lighting, Brett. I don't mind the gray seamless in the natural lighting, but it's certainly not the same pop I'd get with strobes on the paper.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Sam???
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options