Options

Matting Help

MikeAldrichMikeAldrich Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited February 8, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey Guys, I have a slight dilemma, I'm trying to mat a couple prints for an art market this weekend. I thought I had this all figured out but now I'm second guessing myself. I'm working with 2 sized prints, 8x12 and 12x18. I was gonna put a 20x24 mat on the 12x18's, but is 20x24 a common frame size? I looked into suggested mat sizes for 12x18's and I keep seeing 18x24 and 20x26. The problem I have is I already cut the mat's and mounted the print. Should I trim the mat's down to 18x24 or so you think 20x24 is fine? I really don't want to make it difficult or expensive for folks to frame a 20x24.

My second question is with the 8x12. I thought it would look good in a 16x20 mat, but my girlfriend insists the mat is too big for the print. I originally disagreed, but now I'm second guessing myself again. It's been a long day and perhaps I'm over thinking this whole thing. I'm really hoping to get some outside perspective and opinions here. Thanks in advance.

Mike
“The digital camera is a great invention because it allows us to reminisce. Instantly.” -Demetri Martin

http://www.shuttershockphotobooth.com/

Comments

• Options
    Art MorganArt Morgan Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Hi Mike-
    Well, I just spent good money on a matting/framing class this past weekend, so I'll give you $.02 from the $200 tuition.

I checked a couple on-line frame places, and yes, 20x24 is offered. Now, by "common" do you mean they can go to Wal Mart and get one? I don't know, but 20x24 can be obtained online as cheaply as any "common" size.

For the 4" mat borders on your 8x12, that is about twice as large as a "traditional" width, but that does not make it wrong. If it looks good, fine. My instructor did point out that these days the push is for ever-larger mat borders--maybe because the frame shops make more profit. deal.gif

Since you are cutting your own mats I would just be sure to offer any potential customer the option of changing the mat size/color to make the sale if your print price allows for that level of service/customization.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    My two cents...

I have been ordering most of my prints matted by Bay Photo (cause the result is just awesome).
    I get 8x10 in an 11x14 mat
    11x14 or 11x16 in a 16x20 mat
    I recently did a 15x25 in a 20x30 that looked good (could have used a bit more mat but I already had the frame)
    I got a 16x16 in a 24x24 that looks great

So, I think 2-3 inches at under 16 inches is a good ballpark
    3-4 inches when you move beyond 16 inches.

As for your 12x18, the problem is that the 2x3 aspect is hard to find frames to fit. I had several shots with a similar ratio and settled on 13x19 in a 20x26 mat.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    Art Morgan wrote: »
    Hi Mike-
    Well, I just spent good money on a matting/framing class this past weekend, so I'll give you $.02 from the $200 tuition.

I checked a couple on-line frame places, and yes, 20x24 is offered. Now, by "common" do you mean they can go to Wal Mart and get one? I don't know, but 20x24 can be obtained online as cheaply as any "common" size.

For the 4" mat borders on your 8x12, that is about twice as large as a "traditional" width, but that does not make it wrong. If it looks good, fine. My instructor did point out that these days the push is for ever-larger mat borders--maybe because the frame shops make more profit. deal.gif

Since you are cutting your own mats I would just be sure to offer any potential customer the option of changing the mat size/color to make the sale if your print price allows for that level of service/customization.

Thanks for the reply Art, I really do like the larger mat sizes and try to go larger than the traditional, usually. I cut my own mat's so it's really nice to have the option to cut to any size or shape. When I do stuff for myself, or stuff I'm framing, then there is no guess work as to the size mat to cut. I've never offered just mat's and now my concern is to offer sizes that wouldn't be difficult for people to find frames. Or even if this is something I should worry myself about. My concern came when I looked into suggested mat sizes for 12x18 prints and several sources recommended 18x24 or 20x26. I figured I was okay right in the middle but wasn't sure if certain frame sizes were more common, easier to find, than others.

How did you like the mat/framing class, sounds like something I might be interested in?
    “The digital camera is a great invention because it allows us to reminisce. Instantly.” -Demetri Martin

• Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    My two cents...

I have been ordering most of my prints matted by Bay Photo (cause the result is just awesome).
    I get 8x10 in an 11x14 mat
    11x14 or 11x16 in a 16x20 mat
    I recently did a 15x25 in a 20x30 that looked good (could have used a bit more mat but I already had the frame)
    I got a 16x16 in a 24x24 that looks great

So, I think 2-3 inches at under 16 inches is a good ballpark
    3-4 inches when you move beyond 16 inches.

As for your 12x18, the problem is that the 2x3 aspect is hard to find frames to fit. I had several shots with a similar ratio and settled on 13x19 in a 20x26 mat.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply Eyal!
    I never really thought of of ordering my prints matted. I've recently gotten into matting everything myself to save a couple pennies. Are you pretty happy with Bay Photo? I've been thinking about giving them a try lately.

Mike

• Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    I started off hinge mounting my work and ordering mats from the frame shop I use (framedestination.com). However, one of those hangs in my office and I can see that it has started to warp a bit.

Decided to get BayPhoto to mount my work and then saw the option to have it matted too. The final product is really awesome. Comes in a crystal clear bag and is ready to sell or throw into the frame with some acrylite/glass in front.

I'm sure cutting your own mats will save money. I don't sell a ton and felt it was worth it to me to charge a bit more and have the pros do it all for me.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    I started off hinge mounting my work and ordering mats from the frame shop I use (framedestination.com). However, one of those hangs in my office and I can see that it has started to warp a bit.

Decided to get BayPhoto to mount my work and then saw the option to have it matted too. The final product is really awesome. Comes in a crystal clear bag and is ready to sell or throw into the frame with some acrylite/glass in front.

I'm sure cutting your own mats will save money. I don't sell a ton and felt it was worth it to me to charge a bit more and have the pros do it all for me.

Does Bay Photo give you any matting options or do they just give you a traditional 2" border centered? What does the extra mounting and matting run ya? I really enjoy the matting process but I suppose if I could get it all done for me, I could free up some time to work on other projects.

• Options
    Art MorganArt Morgan Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    How did you like the mat/framing class, sounds like something I might be interested in?

It was well worth it, but I went in knowing nothing. We learned how to make a double mat (keep adding for triple and quadruple mats), stepped-corner mat, round and oval wiindows, and multiple-window mats, and v-grooves for decoration. Of course the design possibilities are endless with combinations of these. Also, seeing the different price points of mat cutters was great...now I have my eye on the high end one of course.

Looks like he will be teaching in Orlando in December. http://www.framing4yourself.com/seminar/
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    They have stock options.
    I've mostly done the 8x10 or 8x12 on 11x14 and the 11x14 or 11x16 on 16x20.
    The former is $19.04; the latter $25.50
    Not sure how that compares to your prices but is likely more.
    These are on Bay Economy by the way (no color correction)