Options

Job Hunting- Chicago

paumepaume Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited February 10, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello everyone:

To keep it simple, the title of the thread says it all. I have been living in Chicago now for about a year, I was doing well for the better part of the year freelancing and shooting actor's head-shots. Last few months though have been quite hard and I am looking into going back into photojournalism or event photography(preferably theatre and concerts but anything else is fine as well). I look into search engines but all i get is links from all this job search engines which are quite useless...hell some of the "photography" job descriptions even say "no photography experience required".

The question to the community is:
#1 any advice on where should I go directly here to find those kinds of jobs ?
#2 if you have any position available and might want to hire me as an assistant or second shooter I'd be happy to join in...

feel free to stop by my sites and take a look at my portfolios and resumé.

Recent Events Portfolio: http://www.paumestudio.biz/Clients/Events

Thank you!
Omar

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Try photo editors (usually listed on their websites) for newspapers? They don't pay a hell of a lot freelancing (at least the Sun-Times division I work for in Indiana) but if you get enough assignments it could add up. Smaller papers might be an option, like the Reader, or maybe one of the hispanic papers? Not sure what to tell you. Unfortunate influx of 20 billion mommies with cameras (daddies too) has turned Craigslist into a joke (looking for free photography, but they'll publicize your link at the event.. wooohoo. I'll see if I can do the same with my bills?)

Good luck Omar, about the best thing I can say right now.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    Thanks Jim...

That's actually quite helpful!
    Also, I liked you Chicago landscapes.

Thanks!
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    paume wrote: »
    Thanks Jim...

That's actually quite helpful!
    Also, I liked you Chicago landscapes.

Thanks!

No problem.

Besides hispanic, there is a HUGE polish population here too.. Though, both that and the hispanic may require you to speak the language unless they are willing to translate the captions for you... :)
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2012
    No problem.

Besides hispanic, there is a HUGE polish population here too.. Though, both that and the hispanic may require you to speak the language unless they are willing to translate the captions for you... :)

I am considering both options as well...my first language is Spanish and I speak Polish, I live in Warsaw for a while.