Options

Lighting Basics Class Assignment #2 - Feedback Please

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited February 10, 2012 in People
I'm 2 weeks into a studio lighting class and our 2nd assignment was to shoot 4 portraits with a single light. We had to submit one each with loop, Rembrandt, split, and butterfly lighting. Here's what I came up with. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. To date all of my lighting work has been with speedlites and I didn't appreciate what a difference a modeling light can make. I think an Alien Bee or two are in my future...:D

#1 Butterfly
i-tjmCpNW-XL.jpg

#2 Loop
i-rsmgzGs-XL.jpg

#3 Split
i-9PdB8vg-XL.jpg

#4 Rembrandt
i-cwwkLrq-XL.jpg
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Nice work overall. Your Rembrandt and Loop lighting though are pretty close to each other. For Rembrandt, the loop below her nose should be longer so that it extends through to the shadow on the far side of her face thus creating the strong upside down triangle below the eye that is characteristic of Rembrandt lighting. Not sure why the color balance on your split light is so far off -- generally I think it's an awful lighting choice anyhow, but an assignment is an assignment not an aesthetic choice.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Nice work overall. Your Rembrandt and Loop lighting though are pretty close to each other. For Rembrandt, the loop below her nose should be longer so that it extends through to the shadow on the far side of her face thus creating the strong upside down triangle below the eye that is characteristic of Rembrandt lighting. Not sure why the color balance on your split light is so far off -- generally I think it's an awful lighting choice anyhow, but an assignment is an assignment not an aesthetic choice.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Nice job and agree with all the above. Your butterfly shadow is a little hard to see. Might need to move the light a tad more to her to accentuate the butterfly shadow under her nose.
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Nice job and agree with all the above. Your butterfly shadow is a little hard to see. Might need to move the light a tad more to her to accentuate the butterfly shadow under her nose.

Thanks everyone. Yup - totally missed the rembrandt. I was looking more at the highlight on her cheek than at the shadow line. Good news is that our next assigment is to repeat all 4 of the patterns with 4 different modifiers: large SB, small SB, beauty dish, and gridded bare light.

Brett - the split shot had a different treatment applied to it that was sort of a split tone look.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook