Cloudy versus auto setting

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited January 26, 2004 in Technique
auto

2110407-S.jpg

Comments

• amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    cloudy setting. not exactly rocket science, I've got some better examples.

2110406-S.jpg
    edited January 24, 2004
    cloudy

7933-S-1.jpg
    edited January 24, 2004
    auto baby, auto.

11082-S-1.jpg
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    amadeus wrote:
    auto baby, auto.
    What camera and which set of colours are more accurate? Presumably 'auto' but with the 'cloudy' being more warm.

Here is your 'auto' with a boost on the saturation.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited January 24, 2004
    Nikon Coolpx 775. I would say the accurate colors was somewhere between the two. Its hard to say, it was pretty cloudy...
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    Hi fluggy! wave.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited January 24, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Hi fluggy! wave.gif
    howdy fish man. hows it going? a very cold winter in new york, but so far we're getting off easy on the snow. I think my bikes still in the garage, no doubt a solid block of ize. very psyched about the adventure tank I'll be sporting this spring. mark my words, Panthers +7 will be the all time freebie on sbowl picks.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    Oooh, I'll wager a nickle on the Pats. But saw a report on ESPN about the eerie similarities between the panthers this time and the pats when they beat the Rams.

How's your bike's batt? Mine wouldn't fire up the bike and died on a mid-20 degree night last night. I waited until the tmep was in the 50's then finally got it fired-up and home. Been on a charger since.

I kinda like the warmer colors of the cloudy setting for the leaves... didn't you post pics before using that setting to get the beautiful orange leaves?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    amadeus wrote:
    howdy fish man. hows it going? a very cold winter in new york, but so far we're getting off easy on the snow. I think my bikes still in the garage, no doubt a solid block of ize. very psyched about the adventure tank I'll be sporting this spring. mark my words, Panthers +7 will be the all time freebie on sbowl picks.

It's going well, my friend. It's been fairly cold here too (currently in the low 50's). I think we'll get some more rain tonight...maybe as much as 1/8th inch. Unfortunately, I had to put a few hours in at work(sucks). Got a big meeting with the board on Monday and I'm not even close to ready. I'll be working(sucks) tomorrow too...while those advrider bastiges are having fun and games in Death Valley.

Adventure tank? Dood...weren't you the one giving dizzy crap for putting a big tank on his GS?

Panthers shmanthers. The niners are out so it doesn't really matter. When do pitchers and catchers report? I think the Giants are gonna have a very good season this year.

I like the cooler shot. In the warmer shot the leaves don't look real and it's too yellow. Just my personal opinion.

Want me to change your username to Nachtflug? deal.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Want me to change your username to Nachtflug? deal.gif

Shall we add your avatar at the same time? :encore
  • Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2004
    so how does one know if ones camera has a "cloudy" setting? just wondering, oh and the pats will win.
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2004
    so how does one know if ones camera has a "cloudy" setting? just wondering, oh and the pats will win.

Somewhere, probably in the menu, it should have a white balance setting. Most probably default to auto, you should be able to override it. Check in the manual, some you can download from the manufacturer.
    edited January 25, 2004
    thanks dude, i need to get some batteries first. but it looks pretty lazy outside and it totally feels lazy inside.

charlie
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2004
    learning curves
    Hi oh great ones..

I froze my butt off yesterday in the Quabbin here in Massachusetts trying to get a shot.. most of them went straight in the trash but I did print this one out.. how can I improve it and can anyone shed light on white balance eye dropper use? whenever I attempt to use it I get a totally wrong color cast.. obviously I'm dropping in the wrong places. Here part of my walk yesterday...

thanks
    Lynn
    edited January 25, 2004
    dull driftwood
    this seems a tad dull...
    edited January 25, 2004
    i figured it out, there is a picture of a cloud in the menu...duh!
    edited January 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi oh great ones..

I froze my butt off yesterday in the Quabbin here in Massachusetts trying to get a shot.. most of them went straight in the trash but I did print this one out.. how can I improve it and can anyone shed light on white balance eye dropper use? whenever I attempt to use it I get a totally wrong color cast.. obviously I'm dropping in the wrong places. Here part of my walk yesterday...

thanks
    Lynn

I'm no great one, so take all of what follows with a hearty gulp of castor oil... mwink.gif

Personally, I really like the low sun on the trees. I wouldn't mind seeing some sharpening there, to better separate the trees. The other thing is something I do a lot... and that's have a darker area in the shot where the sunlight isn't falling. Others may tell me to go pound sand, but I think dealing with that dark area is the issue with the shot. Either shoot at a time and place where there isn't a dark patch... or figure out a way to bring it to life. Dunno if you shot off a tripod and bracketed the scene, but if you did maybe you have a frame where the path is brighter (and the trees too hot) and you can blend one shot with the other?

Here's a link on how to do it.

Hey, fill out more on your profile - what kind of cam are you shooting with? Inquiring minds like to know that kind of stuff... you never know when it will come in handy for feedback. :D

Oh, and welcome to the site! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited January 25, 2004
    Lynn, I took the liberty of playing with the shot a little. The trees are really soft...either camera shake or you had a narrow depth of field (low number f-stop) selected. Here's a quick attempt to sharpen a bit and lighten the foreground. This may be one of those shots where using a flash to fill-in the foreground might be a good idea.

2134468-M.jpg
    Sid.
    edited January 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    this seems a tad dull...

If I might be so bold as to offer some possibilities... maybe take a step back and show the wood in its context. Is it a lone piece of wood in a sea of snow and grass? If so, that might make it interesting. ne_nau.gif Also, might getting lower and changing the perspective help? Maybe shooting it from a different angle? Just thoughts.
    Sid.
    edited January 25, 2004
    what you did to my trees...
    wxwax wrote:
    If I might be so bold as to offer some possibilities... maybe take a step back and show the wood in its context. Is it a lone piece of wood in a sea of snow and grass? If so, that might make it interesting. ne_nau.gif Also, might getting lower and changing the perspective help? Maybe shooting it from a different angle? Just thoughts.
    I like what you did to my trees.. I'm always afraid to sharpen too much, I shall be more agressive in future. I took the shot whilst shivering in minus 5 degrees F bundled up to the earlobs in fleece. I'd put the tipod away in my pack (of course) and then saw the sun coming though the trees. I'ts all dense forest so no other shot possible but I could have knelt. I knowwhat you mean about dark areas, it brings things to life. I've only had my Digital Rebel for a couple of weeks and am learning in leaps and bounds. (the joy of instant disapointment). I took the shot on Apeture Priority value 8 shutter speed 1/50 ISO 100 White Bal. daylight. I warmed it in Adobe Elements back to what the shot really looked like. I've added some more stuff to my profile now I know how great everyone is on this site. Who needs school?
    On my way home tonight I took this one...
    edited January 26, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    (the joy of instant disapointment).

How very true! :cry rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.