Winners of Mini 136

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited February 17, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
AND THE WINNER IS: :)

Please allow me a few words first.
I have been wanting to do this challenge for a while just based on how many times I hear "great photo, what camera do you shoot with?" or similarly "great photo, you must have a great camera". Or "I can't compete with anyone because of my equipment or lack of it", it goes on and on. You make do with what you have sometimes.

Also, I like changing it up sometimes. A film camera will slow you down, a cellphone will force you to pretty much concentrate on the basics etc. etc.

I am very pleased with this round and the entries for that very reason. Thank you for indulging me.

The honorable mentions
Doob: The holga shot. I like the creativity a holga allows, though it's not always easy to pull off. I really loved the double exposure you chose here (boy I sure do hope that's double exposure :D) and this was exactly what I had in mind when I chose the challenge.

6268053809_edcd7f558b_z.jpg

zoomn: The gorilla shot. I loved the emotion you captured here, it's really almost heart breaking.
gorilla-L.jpg[/QUOTE]

benjamin: the black and white firehose. I'm not one for abstract concepts, but really found myself going back to this one over and over again.

FirehosePattern-XL.jpg

Billseye--Northern Europe 1981 35mm. You had me at high contrast. I love the lines, the light, the silhouette of the people.

35mm Agfachrome, Digitized w/DSLR (1:1 macro on light table; B&W conversion in Photoshop, 2010)

UWP-D-1981-046-L.jpg

1164505488_fJXKx-XL.jpg

2nd place: ghinson--loved your choice of black and white, the softness, the composition, the total and complete utter peace this shot brings me. Well thought out and executed.
Sony P&S
6739941065_229a412ee8_b.jpgFull Size

1st place: Tony cooper-- Thank you first of all for a fresh shot, you really pushed yourself and for your street submission. The body language here is palpable, powerful. You are up again Tony :)

2012-01-30-02-XL.jpg

Sherstone and Joyce--I know you can't compete, but I also was psyched to get your entries and you would have definately been contenders.

Thank you all so much for your participation. I wanted to add more to the list, but I had to narrow it down before I picked everyone. Really enjoyed this round. Thank you.
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    Mods a little help please--I can't link Rainbows shot and billseyes shot. I'd appreciate some assistance so their shots show in the post.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    Hey thanks for shout out. I liked that shot too. I didn't mention it in the post, but I took that with a nice Sony NEX digicam, but modified to use a $19 f1.7 all manual CCTV lens. I love the softness and the lo-fi I get from it.

Nice shots all around.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    Congratulations to Tony Cooper, AND all the participants for a fun challenge.

And thank you Liz for coming up with a great theme and for the work you did!
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Oh, wow. Thanks. I've won a few camera club competitions, but the winning photo - like this
    one - has never been one that I thought had much of a chance. I seem to do better when
    I shoot for other people rather for myself.

I have a theme in mind, but I'll get back with details, closing date, and terms and conditions
    tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll go embrace my dslr and pack away the Sony DSC-S85 tied
    up in a metaphorical ribbon.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Congrats Tony! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us!
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Congrats Tony thumb.gif

Thanks for the HM, Liz mwink.gif
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Congrats Tony... looking forward to your theme!

Liz, thanks for the HM... I can't believe that photo was taken over 30 years ago. How did it get so old, while I'm still such a kid?ne_nau.gif

Also gotta say that I love your choices for HMs and all three "place" spots. Thanks for the cool challenge. clap.gif
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • zoomnzoomn Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Congrats Tony! Thanks for the HM Liz. This was a fun challenge.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012

Sony P&S
    6739941065_229a412ee8_m.jpg
    This is really, really lovely, Greg. No issue with equipment, this shot is technically and artistically top-notch!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Congratulations, Tony! And well done, Liz. You chose some of my favorites from this round as well. This was a cool challenge. Can't wait to see what is next!
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Congrats to all. This was fun and the top shots are all deserving of recognition for sure!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Congrats, Tony!
  • doobdoob Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    yup it was a double exposure lizzard. thats one of my favourite holga shots.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Congratulations Tony clap.gif

Great entries and good choice in selecting the winners!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com