Options

No pictures - just a vent

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited February 14, 2012 in People
ARRRRRRRGHHHHHHH!!!:bash

I suspect there are forces beyond even this board telling me to stay outdoors. A brief recap of events since my 2011 outdoor season ended:

In December, after Cindy's "Cleopatra" and "Clockwork Orange" shoot I was told that the studio I rent would close on Dec. 31.

You all know the fiasco of my swim in Mexico with my camera and 24-105 L so I won't repeat it here. Just accept that $1,400 later I have my camera and lens again.

Once I got back I found the bridal suite of my friends' restaurant to use as an indoor location. Those of you who were kind enough to beat me to death on my TERE shoot gave me many ideas and suggestions and I actually listened.

In the last three weeks I went out and bought: (1) A seamless support system and two rolls of 107" seamless paper; (2) a Photek Softlighter; (3) A 5-in-1 reflector; (4) a third Phottix Strato radio trigger for my other 430EX; (5) a gel pak; (6) two grids for the speedlights
and (7) the single best photography book I've ever read - The Speedlighter's Handbook by Syl Arena.

So taking all that into the studio, I'm ready to implement much of the great advice I've gotten on here. I have 6 Sunday afternoon shoots set up until the end of March, all with repeat models who will show up. I'm gonna get all sorts of practice with models who know me and will keep things low pressure.

AND NOW, LAST NIGHT - I'm told that the restaurant may be sold and will probably close at the end of February. Maybe I'll get lucky and get to the end of March but, given the events of this winter, that is NOT the way to bet.

I repeat: AAAAARRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHH:cry

/vent
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    :cry

That said... that gear is all useable in other circumstances (including outdoors - the Photek is GREAT if you have sandbags and/or an assistant), you WILL get your money's worth out of all of it, and I'll just bet there are other locations screaming out to be used. C'mon - if I can use my living room and make it look passable, anything short of a sewer (and maybe even that) can be made to work! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Where there's a will.....
    Check local photographers....with the downturn in the industry....you will find someone that will rent you space when you want it.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    Good advice as always Diva and Zoomer. I'll calm down in a day or two and start looking again. Worst case I still have the 19th with Vanessa and the 26th with Cindy.

Diva, I agree that the Softlighter and reflector will probably come in handy outdoors if I can figure out how to use them without an assistant and maybe I can figure out a use for the grids. The seamless system will likely end up in my garage with my Schwinn bicylce and PF Flyer sled. (Yes I AM that old).

As far as using my house, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with having models come to my home (other than possibly my three top models - Cindy, Tere and Vanessa) ) and NO way would I do that with first timers. Too many crazies out there and allegations get much more publicity than exonerations.

I agree with Zoomer though - Where there's a will, etc.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Oh, I wasn't thinking using your own home (I'm only comfortable doing that because my shoots are usually friend or friend of a friend - certainly not "cold call" people out of nowhere!), but A. N. Other space that you can find; even if it isn't a perfect studio, I am living proof that you can do a lot if you work it :)

To anchor stuff outside, I use a set of cheap ankle weights from Walmart. Not perfect, but easy. I've also had it suggested to take a couple of gallon milkjugs and fill them with water when you get to your outdoor location - no weight to *carry*, but plenty of it once the jugs are filled. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    Good ideas Diva.

I'm also thinking about a cheap set of tent stakes and some bungee cords to anchor the Softlighter outdoors. I definitely want to try that outside.