Options

The crash of Speed Racer

CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited February 15, 2012 in People
Ok... so before you all go blowing a vain.... :huh haha
This is a work in progress... More like a wreck... :barb
I've been playing with all sorts of PS stuff... lots of layers... "boy have I messed that up" :ivar ...Masks & curves & masks... well, you get it...
I'm trying to figure out when I can make changes to a mask... after or before I do curves...or if I can do masking changes any time I want... ? I'm having some issues on this one...
- then I'm playing with Smart Objects... (they are smarter than me)... I think i got a pop-up that said I can't edit it... (that can't be right)...:scratch So it's back to the Toot videos for me...:thumb
HELP...:dunno

Don't worry... you won't hurt my feelings...lol

SpeedRacer.jpg
I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
www.iWasThereToo.com

Comments

• Options
    scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    it looks to me like you are getting close to showing motion. Ur using the motion blur and then tilting the axis on it to the same angle the car is right? Here is what I would do. Open the original picture with no effects done to it. Then I would create a duplicate layer. From that I would add motion blur, and then I would (rather than mask I usually just erase) but this is unforgiving so you need to make sure you erase the right parts or hope you have enough undos to get out of it.. lol.. but I would erase the areas that shouldn't be blurred such as the blur in front of the wheel (not the tire) closest to the screen because the motion does not look right with it being in front if he is supposed to be going fast and then once I was happy with all the motion. I would take that layer and the original layer that is showing through and duplicate them both, then merge those two layers together only. Leave the layer you just blurred, and then the original ( I name them so I can tell what layer is what) and then I would duplicate that layer so I had two fixed blurred layers and then the original with parts of it erased. Now I would take the top layer and edit the curves or whatever effects you wanted to add to it, once you get that the way you want, erase the sections you dont like showing the blurred duplicate under it (such as his skin tones etc) then once you are completly happy with all of it save as jpg, but keep a psd file incase you want to go back and edit. never flatten the image.
    check out some of my pics on my smug mug site.
    http://www.scotthofferphotography.com
  • Options
    scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    If you want to post the original, I can go through it like I described above, and create all the layers I am talking about, then repost the psd file, you download it and then you can look through the layers and hide each one to see what I mean.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Really like the concept Doug. Can't help you with the photoshop graphic design stuff too much, but it looks like you're certainly on the right track!
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    If you want to post the original, I can go through it like I described above, and create all the layers I am talking about, then repost the psd file, you download it and then you can look through the layers and hide each one to see what I mean.

Here's a link to original dng...
    Thanks for your input Scott... As for ERASING... I'm trying not to do that in my workflow... ( I hear it's a bad habit, albeit sometimes seemingly more efficient)
    My original plan was to keep the front end of the kart from being blurred as you mentioned but wanted to keep the road blurred...
    i'm also going to make the wheels less blurred.
    I'm playing with the idea of keeping the exhaust smoke... ANY IDEAS? here's one for you... the horizontal shadow, right where the smoke is going through... can that be lightened in PS? and how?
    I messed around with the 1st image and considered leaving in the timing clock behind her head... Yeah... it's a her....
    There is a lot of different things to try... I was playing with this as an exercise in file management... I need a secretary..lol

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43855779/Go%20Karts%201-6761.dng

I cleaned up the image in LR but I don't think it saved the changes to the dng...
    Maybe I am missing the (how to export DNG with changes) in LR... ?
    This is a reference image.

SpeedRacer3.jpg
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    Ill see what I can do with it. As far as the shadow, you would need to lighten that layer enough to match the rest, then erase or mask out the rest of the picture to make them match.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    Ill see what I can do with it. As far as the shadow, you would need to lighten that layer enough to match the rest, then erase or mask out the rest of the picture to make them match.

Just finished this....
    I'm anxious to see your creative take on it...

SpeedRacer_www.jpg

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    I need your email to send you the psd file. It will be coming from Sgthoffer@gmail.com

SpeedRacer3scottedit.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    well piss. That looks good Doug, u dont need my help lol... I was going to tell you to blur the background where the people are instead of making it white like you did, and I did above.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    well piss. That looks good Doug, u dont need my help lol... I was going to tell you to blur the background where the people are instead of making it white like you did, and I did above.

bowdown.gif Thank you Scott....
    It all just started making sense... haha ...It was as though an Angel was guiding my hand.....lolthumb.gif
    I need to change the angle of my blur a bit and take away some blur from the engine area...
    Working with all these layers & then trying to clone from one of them can be a little trippy ... ya know... move this one up... move this one down 2...lol
    I still like my animated stuff the best... but this new image of mine will work i guess...

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    U done good Jedi.