Options

How/Where do you practice event/reception shooting?

uncooluncool Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited February 17, 2012 in Weddings
Following the old adage "Practice makes not even close to perfect but at least it's an opportunity to try stuff and hopefully get better". What are the options to get better at shooting in reception halls with poor lighting? Randomly walking through an Olive Garden probably isn't too practical and hanging out at a Chuck E Cheese will undoubtably lead to a visit with the police.

So how have you gotten better at shooting in this environment...learn from paid gigs? Crash weddings?
Well every person you can know,
And every place that you can go,
And any thing that you can show,
You know they're nouns.

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    I practiced shooting around my house, driving people crazy for awhile. There is a lampshade I photographed a few hundred times :).
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    my wifes lladro figures get taken round the house and placed in all sorts of light that need fill flash no flash a reflector. she will kill me if i broke one.
  • Options
    quantumhelpquantumhelp Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2012
    Get a part time job with a professional photographer as his lighting assistant or go-fer. Observe his / her work style under various lighting conditions. Very educational.

On a brief note, indoors, use ISO 400, camera on manual, 1/60th of a second and F/5.6. Flash pointed straight ahead. This should give good results. Do not bounce with your speedlight as they cannot handle the stress. Try using a LumaQuest mini bounce or maxi bounce as a softer light source.
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Church, church, and church. I doubt they'd mind, especially if its a church you already attend. Plus, most churches *always* have events; they're event making machines.

The church I used to go to promoted creativity and actually liked that I took photos during services and special services, so I learned how to be as much of a ghost as a photographer can be in a relatively short amount of time since I could do it every week if I wanted to. Plus they got pics, so it was win win. Absolutely no flash. Ever. Everrr. Lol. Learn how to do events without a flash and it becomes much easier when you do put one on in terms of being selective and steady.

If you don't go to church, then I suppose that's not a great option then. It was for me though. A secondary outlet for learning event photography is just bring a camera with you all the time. I have a tiny case that barely fits my 5dII with a 50mm F1.4, and its perfect for the quick-draw moments in my every day life. It teaches you to be ready and quick to decide at all times, which is the most important thing in event photography. Yes, I carry $2600 of equipment on me to the most mundane places and may have a higher risk of theft in some less than preferable neighborhoods, but it pays in skill and youll find yourself figuring out ways to not be stolen from and hide equipment to make it look much less valuable than it is. It becomes a part of your body and mind which is most beneficial for events since you don't have to think about what you need to do. You just do it.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    bring your camera to any/all social events. edit the photo like it was the most important thing in the wolrd.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Want to get better using flash, here's my advice. Volunteer your services. Each year for the last 6 or so years, I have volunteered with the MS Society to shoot their annual bike ride fundraiser, for free, and donate the images without charge for the benefit of the Society. This includes color corrections, and post processing as required.

I shoot special awards events on Friday afternoon, and team images on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and during the rest of the day Saturday and Sunday, I'm out at the lunch rest stops shooting riders, both in groups and singles. I shoot with flash Friday evenings, all day Saturday, and all day Sunday. My flash never comes off of my camera, it's fill flash all day long...nonstop. Have I become a better photographer for this...yep, you bet, and it feels good to give a little something back. And, the riders love the images.

I also belong to a photography club, and as part of our community outreach service, we travel to assisted living homes and bring a studio setup and take pictures of the residents for free, providing them with a free portrait package that we buy from Bay Photo for around 4 bucks. What good training.

Last night, some of our photographers went to an assisted living home and took pictures of the residents Valentine's day festivities...for free...using flash indoors.

These are just a few of the things that you can do to hone your skills with flash photography.

All of the photos from all of the events listed above get post processing just like they were paying clients.

Hope this helps.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    bring your camera to any/all social events. edit the photo like it was the most important thing in the wolrd.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    I bring my cameras and strobe into movie theaters and practice during the movie. Very little light.
  • Options
    uncooluncool Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Thank you for the ideas. Volunteering is definitely a win-win situation although I don't want to dismiss zoomers lampshade - sounds like quite the tropper.
    Well every person you can know,
    And every place that you can go,
    And any thing that you can show,
    You know they're nouns.
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    I bring my cameras and strobe into movie theaters and practice during the movie. Very little light.

Did you try it during Transformers & Pandora :)
  • Options
    BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    I take care anywhere I go. Any type of even is a good practice. Make sure you cover all types of lighting conditions.

I would disagree with quantum's comment above about shooting with flash pointed straight ahead. With some skill you can manage you bounce the light and not kill your speedlight. It's all about directional light for me. I tried LumaQuest product, but that just another straight on light, just weaker. I stop here since I am getting off the topic.
    Jacek
    edited February 15, 2012
    mjoshi123 wrote: »
    Did you try it during Transformers & Pandora :)

I try to do everything when Titanic is in the theaters. I mean those people need to see the light!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    I distinictly remember the first time I discovered my Nikons could do wireless flash just with the built-in pop-up flash and SB units; I was using wireless flash for EVERYTHING. Thanksgiving family GTG, church youth group events, random social gatherings, etc. etc.

Just go anywhere where people are hanging out in dim lighting, chatting or partying or whatever, in an environment where you either have permission from the owner of the establishment, or are donating your services as others suggested, or at least if your main subjects are friends...

Good luck!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Testing radio-trigger off-camera flash with one of my usual <del>victims</del> subjects.

"OK. Now look at the camera. Look at the camera honey. Uh ... up here. Look! Look? Lift your head ... c'mon. Ok, hell, look sleepy.
    "Sleepy...
    "That's it. Oh, that's positively nar-co-LEPTIC ... Work it, baby ... "

386197_10150502211374146_855639145_8557361_1768485402_n.jpg
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net