Options

The Garage - What's Missing?

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited February 18, 2012 in Street and Documentary
So I'm working on a little documentary project of a classic greasy wrench garage that's been in continuous operation since 1930. I spent a good part of one day there and go back Monday. I'll augment these with 4x5 environmental portraits of the guys that work there.

My apologies for this set being a bit large, for me it's harder to edit when it's fresh. I know in the end I've only a handful of keepers here (likely 3, 8, 14 and a wider contextual scene setter).

Question: As I prepare myself for Monday, what's missing in this set?

My initial thoughts: I don't see enough close-ups of people. I should shoot more ephemera. Look for moments, layers, and opportunities to capitalize on foreground, middleground, background. Get the definitive greasy hands/wrench shot. Try to break out of cliches. Work the office and the front window more (19 and 20) ... almost there, not quite.

Are there other elements of a classic visual story I need to incorporate? What do you think? Many thanks for any suggestions or input.

garage_001.jpg

garage_002.jpg

garage_003.jpg

garage_004.jpg

garage_005.jpg

garage_006.jpg

garage_007.jpg

garage_008.jpg

garage_009.jpg

garage_010.jpg

garage_011.jpg

garage_012.jpg

garage_013.jpg

garage_014.jpg

garage_015.jpg

garage_016.jpg

garage_017.jpg

garage_018.jpg

garage_019.jpg

garage_020.jpg

garage_021.jpg

garage_022.jpg

garage_023.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,884 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    I think your project has a lot of potential. I like 8, 11, 15 and 21. Perhaps try to explore these avenues a bit further?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited February 18, 2012
    Lots of nice work here. Personally, I prefer the shots that include people working to the purely mechanical details, but it sounds like you've already targeted that aspect. It would be nice if you could get a shot that shows some clear interaction between the mechanics and a client, preferably one looking confused or experiencing sticker shock at the bill. mwink.gif. If it's a truly old-time establishment, there's probably a pinup girl calendar somewhere, which would make a nice background detail if you could get the shot. And, yeah, a wide shot to put it all in context. Looking forward to seeing the final set.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Food! I'm sure these guys either 1) buy fast food which means eat in 30 seconds, toss wrappers and go, or 2) bring lunch in a bucket or pail of some type. That sort of shot shows these guys are human like the rest of us.

Beverage! Do these guys drink water all day? A cold beer in a bottle afterwards? How do they unwind?

On a different note, what stuck out was the newer vehicles in the shots. To some extent for me, they detract from what these garages once were. Yet I believe the angle is to combine their past as well as weave their current state into one series. Correct?

I didn't see a single computerized diagnostic piece of gear either. With the electronics and emissions requirements of new vehicles, this shop truly is a dying breed.

I like what you've done thus far and hope these help....

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    I'm liking #16 & 21.

I used to do that, so the shop shots are nothing special
    Rags
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Wonderful project with some excellent shots here.

Missing?: A few more with wide angle (ultrawide if you have one) to get the setting/environment/milieu. #12 & #16 are good examples of this. And you need something like #23, but reshoot it from the other side so that we can see into the garage/work area/office.
  • Options
    NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012