Options

Back in the city

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited February 19, 2012 in Weddings
So there are good and bad things about shooting weddings in the city. Here's the good things:

wedding_in_san_jose_with_juliana_jason.jpg

c2e224e4960667cf9d24a333e811900e.jpg

5842cae9b993a57612e6bf557f865e0e.jpg

ac5cbc1ec6eccbfa116f933579b3461c.jpg

d9ff8bcef4c0d57d1b9705b6956b67f6.jpg

c20d5d5ed84ef1b2ee926cab210dd907.jpg

629005f4878feff43f34c344d49a7845.jpg

23d8672128f8aaeee6d2609b750c2962.jpg

So much more on my site: www.patrickpike.com

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Truly great quality stuff, sir! Always a treat to click on your latest posts...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2012
    Thanks Matt ~ it's fun to switch things up and shoot in a new place every once in a while. btw, are you going to wppi?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    Thanks Matt ~ it's fun to switch things up and shoot in a new place every once in a while. btw, are you going to wppi?

I thought about hitting the trade show for a day or two; with SLRLounge.com I actually can get a full press pass but honestly I decided that since I don't have any money to spend on gear anyways, I'd feel a lot better if I just stayed home and hibernated for a few days. Maybe someday when I can actually spare the time and money, I'll go. Until then, I feel like I'm already very well-equipped to do the particular job I currently have... ;-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited February 13, 2012
    Love the shot, #8 is my fave! On number 1 I think I might've had the bride in the back because as it is her arm isn't in the most flattering position? Nice use of the background - love that museum :) I'm going to WPPI if you want to swing by the Smugmug booth!
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2012
    sphynge wrote: »
    Love the shot, #8 is my fave! On number 1 I think I might've had the bride in the back because as it is her arm isn't in the most flattering position? Nice use of the background - love that museum :) I'm going to WPPI if you want to swing by the Smugmug booth!

Good call on that pose :) I'm going to be at WPPI for a few days, so I'll look for you at the smugmug booth! Make sure to say hi if you see me before then.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Love #1 & #8 in this set! I think it's funny that you mention good and bad things, say here's the good, but never point out what the bad was!
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    Shima wrote: »
    Love #1 & #8 in this set! I think it's funny that you mention good and bad things, say here's the good, but never point out what the bad was!

The good was the wedding and the photographs. The bad was that the majority of my camera gear was stolen. The ugly was that there were photographs from the wedding inside of the camera gear that was stolen.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2012
    The good was the wedding and the photographs. The bad was that the majority of my camera gear was stolen. The ugly was that there were photographs from the wedding inside of the camera gear that was stolen.

OUCH! That's terrible, Patrick! Ugh I'm so paranoid these days, I hear about this happening left and right. I keep thinking of upgrading from 4 GB CF cards, but I'm too afraid that if I get 8's or 16's, I'll go for hours without switching, and risk losing a card. Eesh, now I'm not going to be able to sleep at night...

...Just another reason to move out of the city, eh?

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    The good news is that we are insured, so equipment damage is kept at a minimum. Thankfully I also keep all memory cards tethered to me throughout the day (ThinkTank Pixel Pocket Rocket) so my images were not lost. I do shoot with 16gb cards and don't have a reason to move to smaller cards. It was a bad situation, but it could have been much much worse.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    The good news is that we are insured, so equipment damage is kept at a minimum. Thankfully I also keep all memory cards tethered to me throughout the day (ThinkTank Pixel Pocket Rocket) so my images were not lost. I do shoot with 16gb cards and don't have a reason to move to smaller cards. It was a bad situation, but it could have been much much worse.

LOVE the Thinktank Pixel Pocket Rocket! I've been thinking of buying another, my current one is getting kinda, well, dingey looking...

=Matt=
  • Options
    TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    I suppose I should comment as I photographed many weddings at that hotel. I like #2 it is a different view. If I were still photgraphing weddings I would copy it. Number 5 another great shot just crop out the poles on eah side for a stronger picture. Let's look at #3 it is a almost. IMO just a few little things to make it really good. You got rhe right location, look at the groom the wall line is coming straight out of his head. his head needs to be in the clear spot of the wall. If you move him towards the bride that woud work better. It would also move the bride back so her ARM could be hidden behind the rail, this would cut her weight. Next tilt the flowers toward the camera this would hide her hand and more of her arm. The last thing is harder to learn to do. you have the bride's chin running into her chest. From your camera angle you need them to bend at the waist toward you this will help elimate some of the pin head feeling as the heads will be a little closer to the camera. Well I guess I was pretty hard on you wasn't I?