Baseball-2-1-of-1-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Criticism is always appreciated.
    OK, you asked for it...:D

I like what you are trying to do here, Don. I don't know that I'm wild about the PP treatment, but I understand that's a matter of taste. The one thing that bothers me is the background. I know you can't always pick what is behind your subjects, but you might want to minimize distractions - the ball almost gets lost in this shot. Try experimenting with a wider aperture, to blur some of the background, or see if a higher, or lower perspective helps to hide some of it. You might also try a little different angle, to open up a little space between the pitcher and center fielder.

Let me add, I poked around your site, and really like what I see! I'd love to spend some time wandering around Arizona with a camera - last time I was there was in high school on a family vacation, and I was carrying my trusty Kodak 126 Instamatic!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Moose, I asked for criticism and I meant it.

You're right, the background is the weak spot. This was taken with my telephoto lens. I know how to get a very shallow DOF with it but I don't know how to get a DOF that would show the guy in the background but blur everything behind him. I guess practice and experimentation are the answers.

Thanks for your comments about my gallery, and thanks very much for the feedback.
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Cornflake... Love the shot & especially the PP... and as Moose says...it's a matter of taste... I think I would have worked it more in PS and removed the BG ...it wouldn't be hard to do and personally I would do it and go off white with it & add a little white vignette...
    Now... I see on your front guy a little ghosting around his collar and suspenders... I would perhaps make a selection and run a high-pass filter on it real quick to sharpen it up...or..if you're using Adjust 5 I would just brush some of that out...
    If you do decide to remove the BG I would love to see it... you have a real nice Norman Rockwell feeling going on here...
    Do you have more?
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2012
    Don... real nice images on your site too
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Doug, thanks for the comments. I seldom photograph people and I have nothing more along the same lines. I was thinking of Norman Rockwell as I processed it, and pushing it in a painterly direction as a result.

I'll think about the background. I understand exactly what you're saying. There's a consensus that the background is a dud. :) I share the view.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Doug, thanks for the comments. I seldom photograph people and I have nothing more along the same lines. I was thinking of Norman Rockwell as I processed it, and pushing it in a painterly direction as a result.

I'll think about the background. I understand exactly what you're saying. There's a consensus that the background is a dud. :) I share the view.

yeah but ... Poof... it's gone in 5 minutes with PS... I would love to see it...
    If you've seen my crap you know I push the PP to the extremes,,, thumb.gif
    After 30 somethings years of traditional pictures I am loving what I can do now.

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com