Options

Headshot

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited February 22, 2012 in People
From a shoot last night that I've barely had time to look at, this one jumped out at me. Comments are always appreciated.

i-FTdD6LG-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    I like the composition on this one, but I think she's looking a bit too far to the right. I don't like having part of her irises covered and a bit too much sclera (white) is showing.

I also think the entire shot is about 1/3 a stop underexposed. A bump in exposure will give it a bit more pop.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I like the composition on this one, but I think she's looking a bit too far to the right. I don't like having part of her irises covered and a bit too much sclera (white) is showing.

I also think the entire shot is about 1/3 a stop underexposed. A bump in exposure will give it a bit more pop.
    Thanks for the critiques, Mitchell. Good feedback and thanks for checking in. thumb.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    First off the exposure is great and the warm tone works for her. I have some problems with the eyes but more with the lines in the neck caused by the severe head turn. There is a problem with her arm up that is squeezing her shoulder in and causing some skin to really pucker out that is not flattering.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    Thanks, Charles. Yeah, that arm fold is unfortunate. Real hard to touch up that one in PS, for me anyway, especially to rebuild the strap on that side. Maybe softening the folds on her neck would help, I really hadn't noticed those. I appreciate your comment on the tones though. I usually get dinged for skin tones being too hot so I tried to tone this one down a bit. Thanks for taking the time to comment. thumb.gif
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    First off the exposure is great and the warm tone works for her. I have some problems with the eyes but more with the lines in the neck caused by the severe head turn. There is a problem with her arm up that is squeezing her shoulder in and causing some skin to really pucker out that is not flattering.
    I agree. The exposure looks dead on to me. The easiest way to fix "puckered" skin is going to be with the liquify tool. Then lighten the shadows a lot, and I think it'll look great. You might also be able to move her left eye a little as well to fix the issue Mitchell has with it (doesn't really bother me, but I see his point).
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Hey Joel,
    let me chime in, too! :-)

Camera angle is good.
    Exposure and skin tones are good, but not overly interesting.
    "Hand behind the head" pose rarely works on closeup headshots IMO, unless the subject is lying down.
    The neck stuff - what other guys said..
    There is a patch of hair next to her cheek/ear that is of significantly different color than the reast of her head. I understand that we are not her hair stylists, but in this case a little PS would fix it in a jiffy.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    She kinda looks like Ann Margaret ... but then again... maybe I'm just missing my wife...she's been gone for a week.....lol
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Agree with previous comments about the arm. I also feel like she's leaning back - can you rotate it CCW? That may also help with the arm problem (at least enough that you can then liquify/clone the fold of skin).

She has really beautiful green eyes, and you've lit them so they sparkle!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    She just looks uncomfortable...awkward pose.
    Very pretty girl....the technicals look ok to me.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    Thanks for the comments, Brett, Nik, Doug, Diva and Zoomer. OK, seems fairly unanimous that the pose is not a good one. Although folks seem OK with the light and processing, so that's a good thing.

Really appreciate the help, folks. bowdown.gif

-joel
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    kdog that area plus the area on the back of the shoulder near the armpit are problems due to body softness unless the model is a body builder, lot of brides have issues when they go strapless too. In fact that skin and fat can be so abundant that women will use medical tape to pull all of the skin from the back forward to "add" to the bustline. Most pageant girls do that for swimsuit and evening gown competition.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    kdog that area plus the area on the back of the shoulder near the armpit are problems due to body softness unless the model is a body builder, lot of brides have issues when they go strapless too. In fact that skin and fat can be so abundant that women will use medical tape to pull all of the skin from the back forward to "add" to the bustline. Most pageant girls do that for swimsuit and evening gown competition.
    Thanks, Trudy. I'll post some more photos of this gal soon. She is in exquisite shape. I really couldn't have picked a less flattering photo for her in retrospect. :cry