Helmut Newton dies

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited January 24, 2004 in The Big Picture
From what I understand, a talented photographer turned a childhood sexual event into a profitable line of work. He apparently repeated versions of, and reactions to, seeing his childhood nurse half nude.

"Photographer Helmut Newton Killed in Crash
By ANTHONY BREZNICAN

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Acclaimed fashion photographer Helmut Newton died Friday after his car sped out of control from the driveway of the famed Chateau Marmont hotel and crashed into a wall, police said. He was 83.

Newton, whose work appeared in magazines such as Playboy, Elle and Vogue, was best known for his stark, black-and-white nude photos of women.

Newton apparently lost control of his Cadillac while leaving the Hollywood hotel, said Officer April Harding, a police spokeswoman. It was unclear whether he became ill while driving."

Helmut%20Newton%20Bassi.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    I read that earlier, it is very sad news indeed. RIP Helmut you will be missed. :cry

He would have been at the top of the list of photoshoots I could have worked on. I have always been impressed by his work. It has been a sad last couple of years, Helmut, Herb Ritts and Galen Rowell, photographers with work I admired, now passed on from this world.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    Newton was a legend in fashion photography. He'll be missed.

r2225863938.jpg

Gotta wonder about the Cadillac comment tho...doesn't look much like a caddy.

lthumb.caaj10201240055.obit_newton_caaj102.jpg

Some of Newton's more recent work is here.

Some of his classic work is here.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Newton was a legend in fashion photography. He'll be missed.

lthumb.caaj10201240055.obit_newton_caaj102.jpg

Some of Newton's more recent work is here.

Some of his classic work is here.
    It was an SRX:
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited January 24, 2004
    fish wrote:

I think it is the new SRX. A sad way to go.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    Thanks...didn't know they made a wagon.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Mike WernerMike Werner Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    Sad day. One of my two fav's, Newton and Hamilton. RIP

Mike
    Mike Werner
    Paris, France

http://news.motorbiker.org/
    edited January 24, 2004
    Here is a gallery with a dozen more images. Warning "art" will be on these pages.

Here is an interview with a few more photos.

This site has a few more photos to sell one of his larger books, check out the price.

If you are interested in his work and have not seen much of it, he has many books out that you can see most bookstores.