Weekly Assignment #146: Dissolved Portrait

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited February 23, 2012 in Assignments
(Inspired by one of the last posts by Brian Laser, although many did use this technique before him)

The idea is to place the subject relatively close to the background, put the camera on a tripod (or somehow else secure its position), take two images - one with the subject, one without it and finally blend them in your favorite image editor.
Please note that for this task you don't want to create so called "textured portrait". Instead you want some areas of the subjects being completely replaced by the background. The partial blend should only take place on the area borders, if at all.
Tips:
  • take the subject shot first, then the background only
  • for better final image place your subject as close to the background as possible
  • to get the proper effect (i.e. for the final image to make sense) you may need to put some exta tweaking: duotone/bw, some artistic filter, etc.
Good luck dissolving! :wink
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Is there a sample of this somewhere? Not sure I understand.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    Is there a sample of this somewhere? Not sure I understand.
    Sure: second (BW) one in here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1437960&postcount=7
    It's not exactly what I had in mind (her face is semi-transparent), but you can get an idea...
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Sure: second (BW) one in here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1437960&postcount=7
    It's not exactly what I had in mind (her face is semi-transparent), but you can get an idea...

Ok, thanks.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    nifty. am going to have to give this one a try -- with an interesting background of course!
    //Leah
  • PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Displacement map of your subject? Or would this give your subject too much depth?
    edited September 1, 2010
    PupWeb wrote: »
    Displacement map of your subject? Or would this give your subject too much depth?
    No, DM is not what we're after. It should be conceptual/design (i.e. manual) decision, not relying too much on the subject darkness...
  • Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    I don't see any posts in this thread, so I am not sure if it's not active, or if there is a different issue. Anyway, I wanted to post for this assignment, and get any feedback you all would care to offer. Thanks!

Illusions-in-Blue-XL.jpg
    edited December 27, 2011
    I don't see any posts in this thread, so I am not sure if it's not active, or if there is a different issue. Anyway, I wanted to post for this assignment, and get any feedback you all would care to offer. Thanks!
    Thanks for playing! thumb.gif
    Despite of the lack of entries, I'm afraid it doesn't qualify. ne_nau.gifPlease read the guidelines for the task. deal.gif
  • Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    Thanks for playing! thumb.gif
    Despite of the lack of entries, I'm afraid it doesn't qualify. ne_nau.gifPlease read the guidelines for the task. deal.gif

Ah, sorry about that. I looked at the example image without fully comprehending the specifics of the guidelines. ne_nau.gif Very well, then, off to find a more appropriate place to post. Then to retry the assignment with a better understanding.thumb.gif
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    I can't believe no one is playing...sounds like fun.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited January 20, 2012
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I can't believe no one is playing...sounds like fun.....

Well, apparently dgrinners mostly belong to one of three groups: those who already know everything there is to know about photography, those who think they already know everything ther is to know about photography, and, last but not least, those who don't give a damn... mwink.gif
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    This image was taken this past summer in the manner described in the assignment. I wasn't going to post it as it was done prior to the assignment being given. But, as no one else seems to want to do one and get it critiqued by someone that really knows what they're doing and is willing to offer advice, I will.

My daughter. She's at that age where she feels Just Like Another Brick In The Wall.

6733417577_34ce32436e_b.jpg
    Just Another Brick In The Wall by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr
    edited January 20, 2012
    This image was taken this past summer in the manner described in the assignment. I wasn't going to post it as it was done prior to the assignment being given. But, as no one else seems to want to do one and get it critiqued by someone that really knows what they're doing and is willing to offer advice, I will.

My daughter. She's at that age where she feels Just Like Another Brick In The Wall.

Just Another Brick In The Wall by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr
    Great entry, thank you! clap.gif I love the concept and the treatment! thumb.gif
    Especially considering I am a "Pink Floyd" fan :-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gifdeal
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    Well, apparently dgrinners mostly belong to one of three groups: those who already know everything there is to know about photography, those who think they already know everything ther is to know about photography, and, last but not least, those who don't give a damn... mwink.gif

There's a fourth group: those who have kids and don't have much time for cool photography anymore! mwink.gif
    Chris
    edited January 21, 2012
    ChrisJ wrote: »
    There's a fourth group: those who have kids and don't have much time for cool photography anymore! mwink.gif

Oh, man, I said "mostly"... deal.gifwink There are all sorts of exceptions rolleyes1.gif
  • PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    Great entry, thank you! clap.gif I love the concept and the treatment! thumb.gif
    Especially considering I am a "Pink Floyd" fan :-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gifdeal

I am sorry if I seem dumb, I am a newb to photography. But why is this one great and on the mark but the last one not? I reread the rules, I looked at your example and can't figure out why one is acceptable and one not. They both look the same to me.

Love & Prayers
    Darryl
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
    edited February 23, 2012
    PappyRoot wrote: »
    I am sorry if I seem dumb, I am a newb to photography. But why is this one great and on the mark but the last one not? I reread the rules, I looked at your example and can't figure out why one is acceptable and one not. They both look the same to me.

Love & Prayers
    Darryl

Darryl, the difference is essentially described here: "Please note that for this task you don't want to create so called "textured portrait". Instead you want some areas of the subjects being completely replaced by the background. The partial blend should only take place on the area borders, if at all."
    HTH