Options

Breaking Into a Very Saturated Market

Ren79Ren79 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 23, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi all,

It's been so long since I've been on here. So much so that I couldn't remember my old login, or if it even exists, since it seems this board went through an overhaul.

Anyway, as a background, since I'm sure no one here knows me, but I started photography 5 years ago in upstate NY. Lifelong fan, but never shot a photo until my wife and family bought me my first DSLR...then I grew exponentially from there, since I obssessed about it. My true love is Nature Photography and I'm starting to dabble in Social Documentary/Photjournalism. The end goal is always a publication job (daydream is National Geographic), but I've always done portrait work/events to help fund the purchase of new equipment, etc.

In Central NY it was easy. There were lots of photographers, but there were very few really good ones. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, I'm really not, just gathered I was good from other professionals in the area who told me so, my client base that grew really fast, and other factors. I had a really solid foundation of loyal, repeat customers, who gave me free word of mouth advertising and brought new people in. It was nice.

Fast forward some time, my mom's dying of cancer, we choose to move away from NY back to Ca to spend her last days with her, help my dad back on his feet, and now we're in the Pacific NW (because we've never liked LA and don't want to raise our kids there, just our choice, nothing personal).

So after the over a year hiatus I took, due to depression over the loss of my mother, and establishing ourselves up here after the move, I'm ready to start shooting again. The problem is, Portland Oregon is one of the most thriving artistic type communities in the US. Literally everyone here is a photographer or artist of some kind. Photographers are truly a dime a dozen, and a lot of them are VERY good.

My question after this very long winded intro is this: How the hell do I break into this market? Does anyone have ideas on how to start landing work in this really saturated market? I used to offer people free shoots, on the arrangement that they upload their work to Facebook, and push all interest to me, but we don't know anyone out here. I really want to start shooting again, so I can get some creative release again, but NY spoiled me in how quickly I developed a fan base, with very little work...so I don't even know where to begin.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas you guys may have to offer.

Comments

• Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Forget, for a moment, that the service you are providing is photography. Focus on what it takes to start a successful small business. What is it that great small businesses do? What attracts customers to them? Here is a website you may find useful:

http://www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/starting-managing-business

The photography matters, sure. You need to know what you're doing and how to create compelling images that will bring customers back for more. What is far more important in your situation is business fundamentals.

My general tips: Get _really_specific. Find a niche market. Service just that segment but be the absolute best at it. Make sure no one can touch you in that niche.

If you simply want to make a few bucks on the weekends don't do any of this.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    Ren79Ren79 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2012
    Thanks!

Anyone else have info on what's worked for them? Or is it one of those things that are held close to the vest?
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Ren79 wrote: »
    Does anyone have ideas on how to start landing work in this really saturated market? I used to offer people free shoots, on the arrangement that they upload their work to Facebook, and push all interest to me, but we don't know anyone out here. I really want to start shooting again, so I can get some creative release again, but NY spoiled me in how quickly I developed a fan base, with very little work...so I don't even know where to begin.

How did you meet people in NY? Saturated markets really don't make much of a difference. We live and work with an artist on every corner for a hundred miles in every direction.

RyanS is correct about focusing on the business side. Who are your clients? Where are your clients? What do your clients do with photographs? Are you hanging prints in public places? Are you a member of a chamber of commerce or business networking group? Are you getting out to where your clients are?

Having beautiful images is great, but if no one is buying them they really aren't worth much. There are a ton of great photographers who will never be successful in business. Taking pictures is really the smallest part of being a working photographer.

A lot of people like to talk about the 80-20 rule, 80% marketing - 20% talent. I know that a lot of photographers don't like rule, but it correct more often than not.

If you want to make money, grab your book and business cards and get out there.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    How the hell do I break into this market? Does anyone have ideas on how to start landing work in this really saturated market? I used to offer people free shoots, on the arrangement that they upload their work to Facebook, and push all interest to me, but we don't know anyone out here. I really want to start shooting again, so I can get some creative release again, but NY spoiled me in how quickly I developed a fan base, with very little work...so I don't even know where to begin.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas you guys may have to offer.

What is it you REALLY want to do? Do that!

Close to the Vest? No.

Me. I had to navigate my way thru my own BS to find what it is I REALLY want to do. Now I am doing it. I am addicted to my work. I love it. It is not even remotely close to what I was doing three years ago. I still use a camera, and I still use a computer both; to create my work.
    tom wise
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    Thanks!

Anyone else have info on what's worked for them? Or is it one of those things that are held close to the vest?

My take on it is you have to put business and making a living before all else.

In a saturated market I believe it is a mistake to say " I want to do portraits/ I'm a portrait Photographer " when there are a thousand others fighting in that market.

For once I disagree with Tom. the way I see it, If photography is your business then what you want to do is irrelevant to what will make you money/ a Living.

As an example, a while back I wanted to do motorsport photography. I soon learned every man and his dog was doing it and it was impossible to make money out of. There was no use trying to persue it because it's what I wanted to do, all that was going to get me was Bankrupt.

What I did was find a market that was under serviced and easy to get a foot hold in. The one I ended up with was horse events. Now my interest in things Equine could be written in the top left hand corner of a postage stamp in 12 point. The thing was I could make a lot more money at that than i could ever have with motorsport.

Now I'm ready to ditch the poines because I have discovered another market that seems to have potential like nothing esle I have ever come across before. It's possibly THE most remote thing in photography I could have ever imagined myself doing but the more I get into it, the more amazed at the size of it I am.

As best I can tell, there is one competitor. having checked out their business methods, I have no doubt the will be no problem at all the first customer I have lined up to start with in a couple of weeks used them and I had NO trouble winning the business. I am going to deliver pre-printed packages for the clients to choose from, the other crowd had them looking at tiny proofs then going online or mailing them the order.

Right now, I have at very least the next 6 months work lined up and in a couple of cases i'm hoping to hell I don't get sick or anything because thats really going to throw a fly in the ointment if I have to miss a day or 2. I have decided to give it 6 months and if it goes to plan as I expect it will, I'll put on 2 teams to do the photography and sales while I look after the Business side of things and keep myself in reserve If someone does get sick or needs a day off or whatever.

The point I'm trying to make is look outside the square. Forget about what you want/ like shooting, make your living first and then you can have your fun and enjoyment.
    Assess all the potential markets in your area and see where the openings are where every vulture isn't trying to pick the carcass. If you can come up with a new market all together, so much the better.

You need to forget about what you want to do and the saturated markets and find out what people want and will pay for and where the market isn't over serviced.
    I can't tell you what or where that is, I don't have a clue where you are or what's there but as long as there is a decent population, chances are even if you think there is nothing, there is something, you just haven't found or recognized it.
    I think in a way it's harder when your looking, when your not, things tend to fall in your lap easier.

Ask around a lot, tell people you are looking for ideas and ask people if they have any suggestions. I have found often what is suggested may not be workable but it gives me an idea for something else which I can run with.

Good luck with it.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    Excellent advice - regardless of the business endeavour. It's always about what the CUSTOMER wants, not what you want to do creatively - that's for your own time after the bills are paid. :D
    Glort wrote: »
    My take on it is you have to put business and making a living before all else.

In a saturated market I believe it is a mistake to say " I want to do portraits/ I'm a portrait Photographer " when there are a thousand others fighting in that market.

For once I disagree with Tom. the way I see it, If photography is your business then what you want to do is irrelevant to what will make you money/ a Living.

As an example, a while back I wanted to do motorsport photography. I soon learned every man and his dog was doing it and it was impossible to make money out of. There was no use trying to persue it because it's what I wanted to do, all that was going to get me was Bankrupt.

What I did was find a market that was under serviced and easy to get a foot hold in. The one I ended up with was horse events. Now my interest in things Equine could be written in the top left hand corner of a postage stamp in 12 point. The thing was I could make a lot more money at that than i could ever have with motorsport.

Now I'm ready to ditch the poines because I have discovered another market that seems to have potential like nothing esle I have ever come across before. It's possibly THE most remote thing in photography I could have ever imagined myself doing but the more I get into it, the more amazed at the size of it I am.

As best I can tell, there is one competitor. having checked out their business methods, I have no doubt the will be no problem at all the first customer I have lined up to start with in a couple of weeks used them and I had NO trouble winning the business. I am going to deliver pre-printed packages for the clients to choose from, the other crowd had them looking at tiny proofs then going online or mailing them the order.

Right now, I have at very least the next 6 months work lined up and in a couple of cases i'm hoping to hell I don't get sick or anything because thats really going to throw a fly in the ointment if I have to miss a day or 2. I have decided to give it 6 months and if it goes to plan as I expect it will, I'll put on 2 teams to do the photography and sales while I look after the Business side of things and keep myself in reserve If someone does get sick or needs a day off or whatever.

The point I'm trying to make is look outside the square. Forget about what you want/ like shooting, make your living first and then you can have your fun and enjoyment.
    Assess all the potential markets in your area and see where the openings are where every vulture isn't trying to pick the carcass. If you can come up with a new market all together, so much the better.

You need to forget about what you want to do and the saturated markets and find out what people want and will pay for and where the market isn't over serviced.
    I can't tell you what or where that is, I don't have a clue where you are or what's there but as long as there is a decent population, chances are even if you think there is nothing, there is something, you just haven't found or recognized it.
    I think in a way it's harder when your looking, when your not, things tend to fall in your lap easier.

Ask around a lot, tell people you are looking for ideas and ask people if they have any suggestions. I have found often what is suggested may not be workable but it gives me an idea for something else which I can run with.

Good luck with it.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada