Which lens for wedding?

John8John8 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited February 24, 2012 in Technique
Hi all, currently budgeting for a couple of lens to hire for a couple of weddings - though I am not official photographer for the events but would like to take the opportunity to practice my skills.

I am torn between two lenses, and here my combination:

1. 16-35mm f2.8 L and 70-200mm f2.8 L IS

2. 24-70mm f2.8 L and 70-200mm f2.8 L IS

both combination will cost roughly the same in total to hire, couldn't stretch the budget any further as I am not asking to be paid for the shoots - though I am tempted to ask them to contribute to the rental costs should they choose any of my photos, but they are sisters in law so probably best not eh. :-)

Wide angle lens in option 1 offers better creativity (I think) while standard lens in option 2 offers better rounder? I am hoping that i can get away with mainly use the telephoto lens for portraits and candid shots.

Any advice will be much appreciated as I never done wedding before.

P.S. Please forgive me that I am repeating someone's question as I am fairly new to this.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited January 31, 2012
    If I remember correctly you are shooting with the Canon 50D?

If so, the 2 - lens combination I use and I recommend is:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (with or without IS)

Combine these 2 - lenses with a competent external flash and some DIY flash modifiers and you have an extremely able combination to cover pre-ceremony, ceremony and reception.

The flash I would rent is the venerable Canon 580EX or 580EX II.

You can create your own light modifiers (DIY). A couple that I can recommend are:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Of these 2 devices, the "scoop" type is by far the more versatile in producing great results under most circumstances.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • John8John8 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Thank you ziggy, the 17-55mm is a very good suggestion, and the flash modifier is a definite. The only reservation I have on the 17-55 is that it's an EF-S, a friend of mine got a 5d that he might lend it to me for a couple of hours on the day so I can experiment with, if this is the case I will not be able to use this lens. However, it is definitely worth considering this lens as it is probably cheaper to hire, and leave the spare cash to hire an Ex 580. Will check this out.

Currently I have Canon Ex 430, do you think this is powerful enough or should I hire an Ex 580 anyway so I can utilise it's remote trigger for the ex 430?

Thanks again.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited February 1, 2012
    John8 wrote: »
    ... Currently I have Canon Ex 430, do you think this is powerful enough or should I hire an Ex 580 anyway so I can utilise it's remote trigger for the ex 430?

The Canon 430EX "may" be suitable, but yes, the 580EX is more versatile and can act as master/controller. Whether you use that ability or not is completely up to you. If you are just shooting for yourself (not the primary/paid photographer), it probably isn't necessary.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • spinerospinero Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Second on having at least a 70-200 and a midrange 17/24-70 The 16-35 is not as essential as those two.