Options

Monitor Advice

edmackeedmacke Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited February 24, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
A while ago, in this thread, I got some really helpful advice in looking for a good quality monitor (toward the end).

I'm now in the process of building a new computer, and am now on the lookout for a new monitor. I'm wondering if the advice has changed much in the interim.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • My #1 priority is accurate color reproduction for photography
  • I'd like to stay under $300, if possible
  • I'll mostly use Lightroom under Win7 64-bit
  • If it matters, for now I'm just using the Intel HD2000 graphics that comes with the i7-2600CPU (i.e. no graphics card).

So what should I look for? And, especially, are there any specific models that stand out as winners?

ETA: I know there are some Dell monitors that get recommended (U2412M, U2311, etc.) but I'm kind of souring on Dell and their deteriorating quality control and customer service. I've had 1 Dell laptop die @ 13 months and quite a few problems with another laptop and my desktop.

Comments

• Options
    Chris GeigerChris Geiger Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Over the years I tried several different cheap monitors with a Spyder 3 puck. I was never happy with the results and never sure because I had problems even getting grey to appear correctly. Last year I purchased NEC MultiSync 27" Widescreen LCD Monitor with SpectraViewII Color Calibration Solution. It was $1,500 but I use this tool every day of my life and it has been wonderful. It was easy to setup and works great. I'll never go back to cheap monitors for my primary display.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    It was $1,500 but I use this tool every day of my life and it has been wonderful.

Thanks, Chris, but unfortunately I have nowhere near that kind of budget.

I'm only an amateur shooter, so I don't need accuracy to the nth degree - I'm just looking for the best monitor I can get within my budget.
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    I do not know to much about monitors but one of the ones you mentioned the Dell U2412m IPS is on sale within your price range. Seems to have pretty favorable reviews for a non-pro level monitor.
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    The 2209WA is no longer in production as of at latest Jan 2011. I have one sitting right next to a U2412M. They're very similar to each other once calibrated. I do prefer the 1920x1200 resolution of the 24" U2412M over the 1680x1050 resolution of the 2209WA.

My 2209WA exhibits no tinting issues but my U2412M does (very slight). With most low cost (under $800) monitors using tft IPS panels supplied by LG Display there can be seen a slight tint of red on the left and green on the right. It is most visible on white or light gray screens. The centre of the screen is untinted and so I check colours, if critical, in that area.

Staying under $300 will limit you to the the following if you want a monitor with an IPS type panel:

24"

Dell U2412M
    .... 1920x1200 6bit + AFRC (Advanced Frame Rate Control) e-IPS tft panel
    .... sRGB gamut
    .... 8bit internal LUT (Look Up Table, image processing bit depth in monitor)
    .... only under $300 when on sale or with coupons
    .... http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm

The 6bit + AFRC system works much better than the old 6bit + FRC system to simulate an 8bit colour depth of 16.7 million colours. Most review site note little if any banding and some artifacts in darker areas that would not be noticeable by most users.

There is also the...

HP ZR2440w
    Samsung S24A850DW (has a Samsung made S-PLS panel)

but both can only be found for above $400

23"

There are a number of 23" 1920x1080 monitors with e-IPS type panels, sRGB gamut, and again almost all of them use a 6bit + AFRC system. One issue with several of these is that they do not adjust their brightness low enough for work in darker rooms to avoid the "dark print" issue.

Dell U2312HM (brightness)
    LG IPS231P
    Viewsonic VP2365-LED
    NEC EA231WMi

and the

ASUS PA238Q
    .... has a true 8bit panel and a 10bit LUT.
    .... low brightness an issue
    .... reports of back light edge bleeding

21.5"

All 1920x1080 e-IPS sRGB

Dell U2212HM
    HP ZR2240w
    LG IP226V

You can read about most of these monitors on these review sites:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm
    http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html
    http://www.flatpanelshd.com/reviews.php

• Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    Another vote for the Dell U2412M. I just got one and I think it is great. I haven't noticed any tint issues, but I do not yet have a calibrator. I will say that it is bright, the colors are awesome, and I am seeing detail that I probably couldn't have seen on my old 20" CRT even when it was new (11+ years ago). Not to mention all that extra LCD real estate. No regrets on this purchase.
    ~~Barbara
  • Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    Hate to disagree with these lovely people, but in my experience it's not a matter of "if" your Dell product will screw you over, but when. I've been burned by Dell's lack of quality control and even worse customer service too many times to ever buy from them again.

On an other note, I recently purchased a 24" ViewSonic (Model # VX2450wm-LED) and I'm very pleased with it. Also ordered a i1 Display 2 hardware calibration "puck" upon a sterling recommendation from Scott Kelby.

Monitor link at amazon

Good luck with your selection!
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2012
    bfluegie wrote: »
    Another vote for the Dell U2412M. I just got one and I think it is great. I haven't noticed any tint issues, but I do not yet have a calibrator. I will say that it is bright, the colors are awesome, and I am seeing detail that I probably couldn't have seen on my old 20" CRT even when it was new (11+ years ago). Not to mention all that extra LCD real estate. No regrets on this purchase.

You will have to have the brightness down around 20 to 35% to get a white luminance level around 110 to 120 cd/m2 which is a good level for a 10x12ft den with a 60 watt bulb.

TFT Central has settings and an ICC profile you can download on their site:

Review.... http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

See the Contrast Stability chart - it gives 103 cd/m2 at 20 and 131 cd/m2 at 30. I have my brightness at 33% and contrast at 80% giving me 110 cd/m2 using an i1 Display 2 (which is a calibrator I'm not happy with; it's obsolete now).

Profiles and settings: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

• Options
    edited February 21, 2012
    On an other note, I recently purchased a 24" ViewSonic (Model # VX2450wm-LED) and I'm very pleased with it. Also ordered a i1 Display 2 hardware calibration "puck" upon a sterling recommendation from Scott Kelby.

How you feel about Dell is how I feel about HP. We all have our faves and not so faves. If I had the spare cash I would have bought an NEC PA241w but I want the $$$ for a new lens.

You bought a monitor with a 23.6" 1920x1080 6bit + FRC "TN" tft LCD panel. A gamers monitor, ok but not optimal for editing images. It has viewing angle issues and is more prone to banding in the gray scale than the Dell U2412.

The Dell is a 24" 1920x1200 6bit + AFRC "e-IPS" tft LCD panel.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2012
    ...it's not a matter of "if" your Dell product will screw you over, but when. ...

I'm with you. I'm trying to stay away from Dell (and HP isn't far behind, either), but people seem to love a couple of the Dell monitors.

I'll definitely check out the Samsung, NEC, and LG's first using the info here and in the links.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2012
    21.5"

All 1920x1080 e-IPS sRGB

Dell U2212HM
    HP ZR2240w
    LG IP226V

What about the ASUS VS229H-P?

Looking at what tech specs are available for the monitors listed, the ASUS looks very similar (on paper) but is only $160 on Newegg.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2012
    edmacke wrote: »
    What about the ASUS VS229H-P?

Looking at what tech specs are available for the monitors listed, the ASUS looks very similar (on paper) but is only $160 on Newegg.

IPS panel good

Stand poor but it's eight is about where I have my monitor in any case so for me it would work.

Price good

I know nothing about it's range of adjustment for brightness or what controls are available via the OSD menu. I would hope that they have a "Custom" or "User" mode where you can have full access to RGB sliders
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    Newsy wrote: »
    Stand poor but it's eight is about where I have my monitor in any case so for me it would work.

I know nothing about it's range of adjustment for brightness or what controls are available via the OSD menu. I would hope that they have a "Custom" or "User" mode where you can have full access to RGB sliders

Thanks, Newsy.

I found this review on prad.de and they seemed to like it.

Re: the brightness, they say its range is 50 to 253 cd/m² (50 is good, no? I can never get my current monitor dim enough).

Re: user adjustment, they say "In the user mode, the colour channels red, green and blue can be adjusted prior to a calibration, but there is no option to adjust the gamma value."

And if I'm reading correctly, it seemed to calibrate well: Prior to the calibration, we adjust the white point in user mode and get 6,520K with RGB 99-96-100. Afterwards, colour temperature and gamma curve are almost optimal. Except for the LED-typical outliers at blue, the colour deviations are quite modest.

So, am I missing something?

The ASUS seems like a pretty decent little monitor, and I like the price: I could get (2) ASUS monitors for $320 or (1) Dell at $260. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    Looks not too bad, especially in consideration of the price.

I noted the following....

"Neither can be seen dithering nor does banding appear. Colour cast fails to appear, too. The fine grey gradient is not entirely uniform in the depths, however, which is probably due to an uneven brightness distribution of the display."

I can't confirm it from that review but I suspect this is a 6bit + AFRC panel but as the above comments confirm, it is not much to be concerned with what bit depth you have there. It just works as well as anything in this price range.

The only thing I didn't like was the issues with LED edge bleed, flash lighting, and clouds. This is just something you will see in inexpensive LED back lit monitors. You also see it in $1500 LED back lit HDTV's. You will likely not notice it if you stay away from dark screens and work in a moderately lit room.

Don't worry about the lack of gamma adjustment. You will sort that out with using a hardware calibrator, right?

• Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    It just works as well as anything in this price range.

So, all things considered, how do you think this stacks up against the 3 you recommended (Dell U2212HM, HP ZR2240w, LG IPS226V)? There seems to be ~$100 price difference and I'm wondering what, if anything, I'm losing out on by going with the Asus.
    Don't worry about the lack of gamma adjustment. You will sort that out with using a hardware calibrator, right?

That's the plan. I've got my eye on the new Syder 4 Express or Pro.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    edmacke wrote: »
    So, all things considered, how do you think this stacks up against the 3 you recommended (Dell U2212HM, HP ZR2240w, LG IPS226V)? There seems to be ~$100 price difference and I'm wondering what, if anything, I'm losing out on by going with the Asus.

Warranty for hot and/or dead pixels??

Lower quality LED back light mounting.

Slightly smaller sRGB gamut.

Lack of adjustment in the stand.

These are the obvious ones but you will have to scrutinize the spec sheets for connectivity, etc.

That's the plan. I've got my eye on the new Syder 4 Express or Pro.

If you ever plan to have TWO or more monitors connected at the same time and want them both to be calibrated both in RGB and in white and/or black luminance levels, do yourself a favour and get the Elite. The Pro and Express are crippled versions of the Elite software and do not offer the Measured Luminance module. Furthermore, I think the Elite is also optimized to configure and calibrate multiple monitors where with the other two you may have to use work arounds. It is worth the $$$ upgrade just in term of time savings.