Options

"original" and "save photo" unvailable

AOguruAOguru Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited October 5, 2005 in SmugMug Support
OK, this is a bit hard to explain, and I apologize for the long post -- trying to be accurate.

For those that want to take the time to help, I have a test gallery at
http://rqf.smugmug.com/gallery/855612 to show the effect.

The basic issue is "original" and "save photo" do not appear as options under a photo that has been rotated to appear in vertical or portrait format when the phoot is displayed by itself on a page at some selected size. These options do appear under the enlarged preview of a selected thumbnail when in 'Smugmug' or 'Smugmug small' display mode. But if one clicks on "other sizes: large" for example, and the photo is enlarged, "original" and "save photo" are not available. Or, if one is in "all thumbs", clicks on a portrait format thumbnail, "original" and "save photo" are not available. The options are available for images that have not been rotated before upload.

At the test gallery, there are 3 pictures. One in landscape and two in portrait format. The landscape and first portrait photos were downsized using iView Media Pro's Convert Image Files function to a maximum size of 1168 pixels (1/3 the size of my 20D original size photos). The third photo was not downsized or rotated but uploaded directly from the camera file. All photos were uploaded to Smugmug using "smugmug uploader" -- software suggested by Smugmug. The last photo had to be rotated using "Photo Tools" "Rotate Photos" command, once uploaded. The middle photo was rotated automatically in iView Media Pro before it was downsized and uploaded. There is no change to this effect whether or not I save EXIF data with the photos.

I have contacted help@smugmug about this, got an initial response, but do not yet have a resolution.

This is causing confusion for clients who want to download photos in portrait format after enlarging them for a closer look.

I have seen this same effect on many other sites.

I am using a Mac and have tried several browsers -- same effect on all. I have not tried this on a PC -- not available until I get home on Thursday.

Does anyone else have this problem and any idea why I am experiencing it?

Can someone tell me this is not a problem when viewed using a PC?

Thanks,

Bob Fugate

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2005
    so, i see the problem, and validated it (mac, tiger, safari and firefox).

looks like iview media pro is doing something to your file that causes the smugmug system to hiccup.

how about setting your 20d to autorotate in camera, then you won't have to rotate in ivmp? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2005
    Andy,

Actually, now that you mention it, the camera is set to auto rotate. I guess iVeiw and Bridge etc just use the EXIF tag to display the image properly, and iView is not actually rotating the image.

I just need to experiment until I find a mode that works. I would really like to continue using iView since it is a snap to prepare lots of images quickly.

Thanks for looking.

Bob
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2005
    Solution
    AOguru wrote:
    Andy,

Actually, now that you mention it, the camera is set to auto rotate. I guess iVeiw and Bridge etc just use the EXIF tag to display the image properly, and iView is not actually rotating the image.

I just need to experiment until I find a mode that works. I would really like to continue using iView since it is a snap to prepare lots of images quickly.

Thanks for looking.

Bob
    Andy (and anyone else who cares),

This was surely known, but the solution to the issue described in the original post of this thread is to make the horizontal dimension of the image at least 801 pixels wide in order for "original" and "save photo" to appear below an image that is displayed by itself on a page.

So for a 20D, the smallest upload that works properly is 1202x801. Nothing else seems to matter, whether or not rotated by what software. It has nothing to do with iView.

I would consider this a bug in Smugmug's software.

If it is intentional I would like to hear the reasoning. I have asked at help@smugmug.com

Thanks.

Bob
  • Options
    NaturalEyeNaturalEye Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    I have reported this problem too - no response so far.....

Gary
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    Works just fine for me headscratch.gif Did you fix it ?

I go to the site & can see orig & can save photo.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2005
    Explanation from Smugmug
    This is not a bug.

The reply I got from Smugmug help:

"It is not a bug. It is just the way the system works. Anything smaller than that 800 is considered a Large size, not an Original since we make display copies of Originals that are that size for our Large sizes. Since the Save Photo feature is specifically designed to save Originals, those are not considered the right size for Originals. For folks who have disabled viewing Originals in particular, the system is not going to allow easy downloads of that size using that feature.

You can still download and save photos of that size, you just don't have that easy button. "
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    all makes sense now, yes. 800px images are "Large". you'll have to enable right click save as for these shots/galleries. you can always add instructions to the caption, gallery description or css if you like.

hope this helps