Options

Just Won't Go Down.....

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited February 27, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
These old mountain barns are stubborn critters. I thought this one would have completely collapsed years ago when I first discovered it.

bike-055-X3.jpg

Tom
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Cool picture. I like the colors and details.

Some of the old buildings were built with insect resistant timber, such as redwood, cedar or chestnut, that helps them survive.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Great shot ....TOM......thumb.gif
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Good shot for sure! And these old barns were built to last, and last, and laaaassssttttt. :)
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    aj986s wrote: »
    Cool picture. I like the colors and details.

Some of the old buildings were built with insect resistant timber, such as redwood, cedar or chestnut, that helps them survive.

Thanks for he comments, Tony. I'm sure you're right about some of the materials used.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    Azzaro wrote: »
    Great shot ....TOM......thumb.gif

Thanks, Gary. I appreciate your support.

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Good shot for sure! And these old barns were built to last, and last, and laaaassssttttt. :)

rolleyes1.gifYou're right about that, Ceci.

I've got maybe 200 really good images on file ( out of thousands of exposures ) of different barns I've shot over the years. In a few cases, I've been able to personally document the life of some of these barns over a 30 year span.....realizing, of course, that the barn itself is much, much older than that. I know of several that have verifiable construction dates going back to the early 1800's.

A word of warning to fellow barn shooters: Many, many old barns are being sold off to buyers looking for the old wood. I know of at least 10 neat old structures that have suffered that fate. If you like these old buildings, you better get out there and shoot them before they're all gone.

Tom
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Looks like it is only in the Fall of it's life! :D Many years to go...

As a photography subject! thumb.gif

clap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    rolleyes1.gifYou're right about that, Ceci.

I've got maybe 200 really good images on file ( out of thousands of exposures ) of different barns I've shot over the years. In a few cases, I've been able to personally document the life of some of these barns over a 30 year span.....realizing, of course, that the barn itself is much, much older than that. I know of several that have verifiable construction dates going back to the early 1800's.

A word of warning to fellow barn shooters: Many, many old barns are being sold off to buyers looking for the old wood. I know of at least 10 neat old structures that have suffered that fate. If you like these old buildings, you better get out there and shoot them before they're all gone.

Tom

True around here, too. Also, covered bridges were built with solid timbers in a prior century - and are similarly being plundered for their lumber.:cry
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Looks like it is only in the Fall of it's life! :D Many years to go...

As a photography subject! thumb.gif

clap.gif

Don

Thanks for your support, Don.

This old barn may continue to stand for quite some time, as you note. Very likely, though, if the vines continue to consume this thing, you won't be able to see it.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Very nice, Tom. The colors are terrific.
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Hi Tom, I like the way the autumn colours complement the colours on the barn. Re your comment about people buying the barns for the timber - just another form of recycling I guess!

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Very nice, Tom! Love the colors. thumb.gif
    I thought this one would have completely collapsed years ago when I first discovered it.
    Maybe if you give it a little nudge...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Howdy Tom

I love coming across these old structures and contemplating when, by whom, and for what purpose they were built. The time of year this was taken really gives the image that extra punch! thumb.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Very nice, Tom. The colors are terrific.

Thanks for the visit, Don.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi Tom, I like the way the autumn colours complement the colours on the barn. Re your comment about people buying the barns for the timber - just another form of recycling I guess!

Cheers, Richard.

It's really great to hear from you, Richard.

By the time the wood scavengers swoop upon an old barn, the old place has become pretty much useless in all regards. So the recycling of the materials is probably a good thing. But, as more and more of these old places are torn down, the Appalachians are losing a bit of their charm and character....and a direct tie-in to their past.

Be well,

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    moose135 wrote: »
    Very nice, Tom! Love the colors. thumb.gif

Maybe if you give it a little nudge...rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, John, for looking in.

That little entry area at the front left would, I'm sure, go down with a good swift kick.:D

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Howdy Tom

I love coming across these old structures and contemplating when, by whom, and for what purpose they were built. The time of year this was taken really gives the image that extra punch! thumb.gif

Hi Jack,

I, too, think about those things you contemplate. An equally compelling thought I have centers around this; at what point do the old structures lose their usefulness....what transpires that prompts the owner to more or less abandon the old barn? I'm sure the answers are as varied as the population of the structures.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Good shot, Tom. Hope you're working on a photo book of your barn shots, especially the ones you've been following over the years. i'd love to see a book like that. have you ever talked to any of the Appalachian landowners to try and find answers to your question about when/why the barns become abandoned? I see lots of them on my Maine visits too and I always want to talk with the farmers about the story of the old barn . . . but I never ask.

Keep posting these--it's one of my favorite DGrin series!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    Good shot, Tom. Hope you're working on a photo book of your barn shots, especially the ones you've been following over the years. i'd love to see a book like that. have you ever talked to any of the Appalachian landowners to try and find answers to your question about when/why the barns become abandoned? I see lots of them on my Maine visits too and I always want to talk with the farmers about the story of the old barn . . . but I never ask.

Keep posting these--it's one of my favorite DGrin series!

Lauren

Thanks, Lauren. I do appreciate your encouragement. I have, in fact, thought of putting together a book centered around life in the Appalachian high country as seen through my viewfinder. The old barns of the region would certainly be a primary focus of such an effort. It could well be that the barns alone might warrant a separate effort devoted to them exclusively.

When possible, I do ask current landowners about the history of these old barns. It's a little premature to draw solid conclusions across the board but one circumstance does seem to play a dominant role....the passing away of the generation ( s ) that routinely used the structure.

The original farming family would build and utilize the barn. Perhaps the second, or even the third generation of that family would continue the same pattern. Along the way, however, the property would eventually pass to family members....or maybe even " outsiders ".... that would not continue any use of the land that required a barn. And even if farming remained in the picture, the new operators had to build new barns able to meet current demands placed upon them. The stage was set for these old barns to start their final journey.

Interestingly...and it makes sense when you think about it...the old barns closest to the main house fared better than those barns that were situated on some of the outlying areas of the property. Those closest in could serve as extra storage facilities, etc. Those further out fell almost immediately into disuse and into a seemingly irreversible slide to ruin.

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Thanks for the insight and info about the barns. What I like best is the concept of land staying in families for generations. Lots of TX ranches are that way too. I would love to live on one of the properties owned by my TX ancestors . . . .but the closest I have come is taking a fallen brick during one of the periods a house was abandoned. If I'd known then what I know now, I would've bought the place! i really applaud your efforts to document an important part of American history.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com