Options

Hahnel Inspire Live View

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited February 29, 2012 in Accessories
Received this gadget today. Despite what the company rep said in email, it is actually capable of displaying LiveView from the camera. No more need for articulating screen and no lying on my stomach anymore (even if it comes at a price:-)
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    I am sure I am missing something here, but just in case.........what does this do that a laptop won't do?

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    I am sure I am missing something here, but just in case.........what does this do that a laptop won't do?

Sam

Laptop cannot display liveview *wirelessly*. This gadget can.
    So you actually see what you're shooting.
    Besides, I don't even fathom the possibility of bringing a laptop on some hikes I go. This thing weights next to nothing.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    No more need for articulating screen and no lying on my stomach anymore (even if it comes at a price:-)

Angle finder?

Essential piece of kit for what I do :)

pp
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Would you share a link to it....Please??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    Angle finder?

Essential piece of kit for what I do :)

pp
    1. Remote
    2. Wireless
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Would you share a link to it....Please??

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=65&pId=65
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    1. Remote
    2. Wireless

Yes, got that - but it looks like you're intending using this for working in a somewhat different way from that indicated in the first post ... ie eye in intimate / close proximity to viewfinder.

Would be interested to hear how it works out, since I saw this elsewhere recently and can certainly imagine scenarios where it could be used to good effect ... provided I check my gear insurance first :)

pp
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    Yes, got that - but it looks like you're intending using this for working in a somewhat different way from that indicated in the first post ... ie eye in intimate / close proximity to viewfinder.

Would be interested to hear how it works out, since I saw this elsewhere recently and can certainly imagine scenarios where it could be used to good effect ... provided I check my gear insurance first :)

pp

Paul,
    it works as described: you hook up the receiver (size of ST-E2, a tad smaller), connect it to the trigger port and A/V port and then you trigger it from a sizeable distance while watching camer's LiveView on a 3.5" screen - all that with no cords between you and the camera.
    If the camera is very low on the ground no Angle Finder can help, especially if you shoot upwards (I've been doing that a lot lately with my new FE 8-15)
    I'd say for the convenience/possibilities it provides it's priced adequately.
    Of course, YMMV, etc. :-)
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    Yep, for 130 quid (or so) it seems like something worth considering (for me, too).

My Q about how it 'works out' was related to user experience gained over time, rather than just what it does.

Being used to looking thro' an angle finder, I've also become somewhat used to the sense of 'disjointedness / unconnectedness :)) associated with looking in a totally different direction from the lens axis.
    In my case the rig is supported, so I don't have to hold / take weight of rig in hands, as well as control what it's pointing at / alter settings /controls.

In your case - as I understand it, anyway - you'll be holding / adjusting / pointing cam with one hand, and looking elsewhere at the gadget's screen, which is being held either in your other hand - or possibly by one of your attractive 'assistants' :)

I'm just curious about how the ergonomics of this will work out - over time, as personally, I've never found it easy to hold /control (the mass of) a Dslr with one hand - compared with the usual 2 hands - especially if arm extended.

My intended use would be totally different - cam would be be on a remotely (r/c) contolled platform, many metres away from me.
    I note that (if correct) it's not possible to adjust cam settings via this device.

pp
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    Yep, for 130 quid (or so) it seems like something worth considering (for me, too).

My Q about how it 'works out' was related to user experience gained over time, rather than just what it does.

Being used to looking thro' an angle finder, I've also become somewhat used to the sense of 'disjointedness / unconnectedness :)) associated with looking in a totally different direction from the lens axis.
    In my case the rig is supported, so I don't have to hold / take weight of rig in hands, as well as control what it's pointing at / alter settings /controls.

In your case - as I understand it, anyway - you'll be holding / adjusting / pointing cam with one hand, and looking elsewhere at the gadget's screen, which is being held either in your other hand - or possibly by one of your attractive 'assistants' :)

I'm just curious about how the ergonomics of this will work out - over time, as personally, I've never found it easy to hold /control (the mass of) a Dslr with one hand - compared with the usual 2 hands - especially if arm extended.

My intended use would be totally different - cam would be be on a remotely (r/c) contolled platform, many metres away from me.
    I note that (if correct) it's not possible to adjust cam settings via this device.

pp

As I have mentioned, I just got it, so not much user experience so far ne_nau.gif, I only made sure it works.

I don't plan on holding dslr in one hand and the transmitter/screen in another (although this might happen, too in case of PJ work or if I want to get a shot from a couple of feet higher than my head, pointing down ;-)

My primary (even though fairly limited, I admit) uses for it would be
    1) on a stand in a studio, while I'm confortably away from the camera and close to my subject
    2) outdoors - camera on the groung pointing up or nearly up (use cases: shooting California poppies, which are know to have very short stems; shooting night skies with FE)
    3) outdoors - camera very low on the inverted tripod, especially over water/mud
    4) outdoors - shooting through under the twigs and other uncomfortable areas
    5) events - triggering a preset spare.
    6) taking self portaits/behind the scene looks when no assistant is available

You are correct - it has no capabilities to change camera settings, which is a serious limitation. In my cases it's not really a big deal. But I agree, if they were able to acheive that, plus allow it to be hooked to an iPad, so you'd have a much bigger screen and fancy software controls - that would be totally awesome...