Options

custom Firmware?

piercepierce Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited March 7, 2012 in Cameras
anyone here playing around with custom firmware like Magic Lantern for select EOS cameras?

I just tried Magic Lantern on my new EOS 60D.... I'm a computer software/systems engineer by trade, and its a little too nerdy and complicated even for my tastes, heh.

All I really wanted was to add a intervalometer function, and be able to take timed exposures over 30s ... there's just too much other stuff, and none of it is integrated into Canons menus, its all overlaid on custom menus that are really nerdy to use.

Comments

• Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    pierce wrote: »
    anyone here playing around with custom firmware like Magic Lantern for select EOS cameras?

I just tried Magic Lantern on my new EOS 60D.... I'm a computer software/systems engineer by trade, and its a little too nerdy and complicated even for my tastes, heh.

All I really wanted was to add a intervalometer function, and be able to take timed exposures over 30s ... there's just too much other stuff, and none of it is integrated into Canons menus, its all overlaid on custom menus that are really nerdy to use.

I haven't tried it yet but it looks like the CHDK software that ran on Canon P&S cameras
    http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012

Hmm yes, but programmable stacking sequences including focus stacking eek7.gif no choice but to download and try it out :)
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    It would be nice, but highly unlikely that Canon or Nikon will ever open their cameras to external developers. Even if it were something as simple as writing "plugins" or "apps" for the camera that extend it's capabilities. Canon showed they don't like people screwing with their stuff by adding the encryption to their firmware for the 5DII. Sad. Sad. Sad.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    well, CHDK (for the P&S cams) and Magic Lantern (for the EOS) shows it can be done.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    well, CHDK (for the P&S cams) and Magic Lantern (for the EOS) shows it can be done.

Sure, but you can't update the firmware on your 5DII beyond those versions where they started encrypting. I'm sure all new bodies (1Dx, 5D3, etc) are encrypted so no chance of a future magic lantern for them...
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    magic lantern doesn't replace the factory firmware, it loads off the SD card.

anyways, I have a 60D, not a 5D2 or whatever.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    You can do 30s+ exposures and time lapses with a $20 shutter release from Amazon.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    indeed, I just ordered the $49 Satechi TR-C as it seemed a bit better quality than the $29 ones.
  • Options
    joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Or you could by a Nikon D7000 that comes with a build in intervalometer. he he he Just kidding!

Joe
    www.jlm-photos.com
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    i have a little too much canon stuff to want to dump it all and start over. anyways, this satechi has been working great. i made a timelapse test video of ~1000 frames one/second, and I've done a number of test astronomy shots, including last nights...

stacked-X3.jpg

which is about 30 exposures of 30s each at iso400, shot through a 1960s vintage Pentax SMC Takumar 50/1.4 (muahaahah) wide open at iso400, stacked (with deepskystacker) along with 4 dark frames for static noise reduction, then levels adjusted with lightroom.... ok, that 1960s lens kinda sucks wide open around the edges, but the middle came out great except for the flare around the bright stars.

http://pierce.smugmug.com/By-Date/2012/2012-03-06/i-SVBmCKr/0/O/stacked.jpg

yes, this was piggybacked on a equatorial clock drive telescope.