Options

Low light settings?

emilybethemilybeth Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited March 1, 2012 in Technique
I finally purchased my new camera it's a canon 60d and so far so good. I'm still getting used to it and learning all the settings but I need help with how to get good clear shots when it's dusky outside. If someone could explain to me step by step what I need to do I would greatly appreciate it. I know this is such a beginner question and I promise I've been reading the manual, I just wanted some suggestions from people with practice. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Are you working with moving subjects or still objects? Also are you doing landscapes or something different?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited February 29, 2012
    I moved this to the Technique forum, since dealing with different ambient/available light situations is an issue of technique.

Shooting at dusk or at early sunrise, when there is little light and when the light is highly diffuse, is often solved by using an external flash and appropriate flash modifier. You basically "create your own sunlight".

Creatively, you need to decide if the background needs to be at the same exposure level as the subjects, but if you only have a single flash you may want to purposely subdue the background.

I shot an outdoor reception last year and it started in the late afternoon and I was booked into evening (darkness). Fortunately there was mains power and for one camera I used a radio slave set and a pair of monolights, pointed to skim the top of the white tent. I also used an external flash and modifier as appropriate (I had 3 camera bodies on me for this event.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
  • Options
    ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    I shot this picture at sunset.
    ISO 800
    F9
    EXP 1/30
    18mm
    [IMG][/img]http://www.ernestochavezphoto.com/Landscapes/Vegas-January-2012/21238344_jZWvS8/1730930963_m6tgBXV

http://www.ernestochavezphoto.com/Landscapes/Vegas-January-2012/21238344_jZWvS8/1730930963_m6tgBXV

That's a good compromise between quality and shutter and aperture without needing flash or a tripod.
  • Options
    emilybethemilybeth Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm shooting animals in motion. Mostly horses. I'm hoping to go shoot a horse show soon and I'll be fine for the afternoon with good lighting but it's when the evening events roll around that I think I'll struggle. Mostly because not only are the subjects in low light and moving...it'll be fast movement. Oh and I forgot to say that what I'm shooting now is from somewhat of a distance. However when I go to the show, I'll be a lot closer....like the distance across an arena.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Can't see the image, but judging from your settings, your apeture is way too tight. Lose a few stops: f5.6 will allow you to shoot a faster shutter speed. If you can't get the speed to 1/125 or even 1/250, up the ISO to 1600, even 3,200.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net