Options

How much of your personal life do you share? (Follow up to long ago question)

ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
edited March 1, 2012 in Weddings
Hi, all. I've been a long time lurker and infrequent poster. Last year I asked the ladies on the board how they handled being pregnant while being a wedding photographer. Everyone's response was extremely helpful and definitely helped my husband and I a lot. Well, all these months later, and I am two months away from having our first kiddo. Logistically, it's perfect timing for my business and I won't have any weddings to cancel because of it (end of April due date). So, obviously, we're thrilled.

But, now I have a new question for everyone that is based around that.

How much of your personal life do you share with the "world" (via your business blog, Facebook page, etc.)?

The reason I ask is relatively simple (in my mind). The majority of my clients for this year know that I am pregnant, but it has not been something that I have openly shared outside of consultation meetings with them. I know that I will be photographing my baby a ton when they are finally here and am planning to use the photos to build my portfolio. In my mind, making an official announcement of sorts that I am pregnant, such as a blog post, is perfectly acceptable and almost expected. My husband (and opinionated father in law) thinks that I should never mention it at all and only worry about it when talking to my 2012 couples who will be effect by it (such as me needing to pump, etc.). In my mind, my couples trust me with the most important day of their life and I get to know them very well in the process and, thus, they should be in the loop. I follow other photographers on Facebook who have been open with the fact that they are pregnant. I think I'd be put off if a photographer never even mentioned such a life changing event and all of the sudden had a kid. :dunno

What are your thoughts?
Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    I think sharing things that you love on your blog shows that you are really a human being behind that camera, blog, and website. Of course it is worth mentioning, as long as you aren't posting the daily things like- the kid pooped. Things like that you might want to shy away from posting.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    I think sharing things that you love on your blog shows that you are really a human being behind that camera, blog, and website. Of course it is worth mentioning, as long as you aren't posting the daily things like- the kid pooped. Things like that you might want to shy away from posting.
    That is basically my thinking. I am also taking about half as many bookings for this year because of the baby, so I'm not nearly as available as I have been in the past. Also, I'm not going to be prompt with my email replied when I'm at the hospital or when the baby is brand new, so I feel like no explanation would be bad for business (whereas it is understandable if people know that I'm pregnant in the first place).
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Yeah, I feel like it's a totally reasonable thing to mention. Part of being a company of one (or a few) is that your life is an aspect of your brand... it's not like you can keep your life secret behind a larger corporate face.

To that point, if you were going to be leaving the country for two months, you'd mention it and explain that you won't be answering email/calls regularly because you'll be away, and then you'd probably post a couple of pictures when you got back... because you're a photographer. I understand that having a baby is a MAJOR life change whereas vacations are temporary, but in either case you're out of pocket for a while and then excited about sharing some images from your new experiences... so I think your perspective is valid. I agree with Mr. Moogle... folks aren't really interested in hearing every little detail of the day-to-day - and it doesn't sound like that's what you plan to do - but I think you're right that it would be weird to keep it a complete secret to the world.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    Thanks for the input, guys. I wound up talking to my husband about it, again, last night and he is reluctantly ok with it as long as I tie it back to being about business and not just about my personal life. Given that I am taking a whole month off from shooting (for clients) right at the beginning of the wedding season, it certainly will effect the business. So, he has given me his blessing. Now just to have a couple photos of me taken by him so the post is more than just boring text.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    That is basically my thinking. I am also taking about half as many bookings for this year because of the baby, so I'm not nearly as available as I have been in the past. Also, I'm not going to be prompt with my email replied when I'm at the hospital or when the baby is brand new, so I feel like no explanation would be bad for business (whereas it is understandable if people know that I'm pregnant in the first place).

I think this makes good business sense, people might wonder why your bookings are so low.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Glad he has finally come around :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!