Options

Should I... again?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited March 2, 2012 in People
April 19th this year will be my 20th wedding anniversary.:huh We were just kids in love with parents that didn't understand when we got married... We drove out to Vegas and eloped. Spent a whopping $115 plus $40 in gas. :rofl

We've decided to renew our vows this year. We're going to go back to the little chapel we married in originally, just the two of us again, and renew our vows there on April 19th. Then later this year, sometime between Oct and Dec, we are going to get married by the Catholic church. Not just any church, but the church in Cuba where my mother and father wed over 50 years ago.

Well, yesterday we went out to nice lunch. When we got back, my wife asked me to take a few photos of her in the wedding dress she picked out since her hair and make up was done. Of course, I had my camera ready and lights setup before she could even finish getting the dress on. She only put the dress on, didn't have all the accessories but WOW did she take my breath away when I saw her.

Here are a couple of the shots I took.

Feedback welcome since I'm trying some slightly difference processing on these:

1. I know the dress right at her bust is a little hot.
DSC5738-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

DSC5757-Edit-X3.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    20 years congrats! When did you marry her when she was 10. Beautiful!
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    She is very beautiful and you captured that wonderfully! Congrats on 20 years and may another 20 be just as good. By no means do I know what I'm doing, but I love the light falling off as you have it. She stands out from the background great, and the only thing I can see personally, is what you mentioned on the first one. The details and texture of it all is great.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Congratulations...what was the question?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    very nice shots, i like #2. Nice compo, lady and technique.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    canoesailorcanoesailor Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Are you sure you didn't misscount and add a few years, or is this your daughter?

20 years with a gorgeous wife like her - lucky man

sorry no tech comments, didn't get past looking at the briderolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Beautiful lady...you knew that.

When you get those little hot spots on the dress, really easy fix is the clone tool-softbrush-darken-opacity 20.
    Grab from a a correctly exposed spot on the dress and just click it into the blown out spot a couple times...presto.
    To me the dress looks fine, I would not have though it hot if you had not said it was.

Looks like you added a glow effect at the end, which makes the skin look a lsmidge over processed.

What a great idea and imagine this entire experience was a lot of fun for the both of you.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Thanks all.

I did add a bit of glow at the end using a dup layer on Overlay with Gaussian Blur. I knocked the effect down quite a bit and especially on her skin.

This is the first shot without the glow effect:

DSC5738-Edit-X3.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Congratulations, Alex!! Stunning images. Wishing you happiness in your next 20....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Wowzers! Great photos and touching story......
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    MY GOD Cuban, she remains just gorgeous.

Oh yeah, you're a pretty durn good photographer also but, at the moment I don't care since # 2 is keeping my full attention riveted. I'll care later.rolleyes1.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Alex,

Please keep this between you and me. I don't want to spoil my reputation.

Your story brought a tear to my eye. I envy you. How wonderful to find your true love / soul mate and have the chance to spend a life time of love and joy with her.

ALL THE BEST!!!!!!

Sam
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Alex, great story and awesome pictures! clap.gif
    it makes me so happy when people listen to my ever-whining about the proper vantage points for full-height and upper-body portraits! mwink.gifrofl
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Hoping I am back in the states by then if you pay for the plane ticket I will shoot your wedding for free!
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Congratulations, Alex!! Stunning images. Wishing you happiness in your next 20....
    Gotham wrote: »
    Lovely.
    Zanotti wrote: »
    Wowzers! Great photos and touching story......

Thank you guys.
    MY GOD Cuban, she remains just gorgeous.

Oh yeah, you're a pretty durn good photographer also but, at the moment I don't care since # 2 is keeping my full attention riveted. I'll care later.rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif. Thanks John. I tell her all the time I think she's an alien or something because she doesn't age.
    Sam wrote: »
    Alex,

Please keep this between you and me. I don't want to spoil my reputation.

Your story brought a tear to my eye. I envy you. How wonderful to find your true love / soul mate and have the chance to spend a life time of love and joy with her.

ALL THE BEST!!!!!!

Sam

headscratch.gif I always thought you were a big cry baby so not sure why I need to keep this to myself. mwink.gif
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Alex, great story and awesome pictures! clap.gif
    it makes me so happy when people listen to my ever-whining about the proper vantage points for full-height and upper-body portraits! mwink.gifrofl

Thank Nik. I've listened loud and clear. Besides, when you're right your right and shooting from about waist high makes a world of difference.
    Hoping I am back in the states by then if you pay for the plane ticket I will shoot your wedding for free!

I will keep you in mind.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Z6IZ6I Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Should you???
    If you don't the line will look like WalMart the day after Thanksgiving.
    Nice shots, lovely lady.
    Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Alex, yes, you should.

Beautiful work as usual, but I prefer #1 without the glow.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    grats alex! this means you can have another bachelor party!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    grats alex! this means you can have another bachelor party!
    Totally! And San Fernando valley is awesome for this type of things :-) mwink.gifrofl
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Let me add my congratulations to you both. She is absolutely gorgeous, and you are a hell of a photographer.

You must have a nice long space in which to work. Full length at 200mm! You really did a nice job draping the backdrop. It took me a long while before I noticed it though mwink.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    She is absolutely gorgeous.
    I can't imagine what your wedding in THE church in Cuba will look like, I start to drool when I think about it.

If you want a photographer with absolutely no wedding experience whatsoever, and you are willing to fly my out to document the event, I'm your girl--just saying--doesn't hurt to put it out there :).

I can't wait to see more shots as the day approaches.

Congratulations on 20 years clap.gif. Says quite a bit.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Congratulations, 20 years is a statement of love and understanding between both of you.
    I wish you the best.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, which and were in Cuba is the church located and what's the name of it?
    Will appreciate your reply.
    Thanks,
    Carlos.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    Congratulations, 20 years is a statement of love and understanding between both of you.
    I wish you the best.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, which and were in Cuba is the church located and what's the name of it?
    Will appreciate your reply.
    Thanks,
    Carlos.

It's in my parent's home town of Jaruco. The name of the church is Iglesia San Juan Bautista.

This is a photo of it that I took the last time I visited Cuba in 2009:

5378796610_d38cc19cb9_b.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    If you were really brave you would show us a couple shots from your first wedding..........:)
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    If you were really brave you would show us a couple shots from your first wedding..........:)

That's just it, we don't have any. The first time around, my wife was 18 and I was 20. We had no money so I we couldn't afford any photos. Besides, it was just her and I there. When I tell people our "story" of how we met, the fact that our parents were against us being so serious at such a young age, etc... they say it's romantic. My wife and I think it was just "ghetto". HAHAHA.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    I love it. You're awesome, she's beautiful, and you're clearly still so in love... what a wonderful opportunity to renew and then have a ceremony in the same church as your family. Perfect :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    BTW, Alex, I can't help but thinking: if it's your 20th anniversary, did you marry her when she was still a fetus? Cause she doesn't look a year over 20...
  • Options
    dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Beautiful Shots & Woman. You are a lucky and talented man.
    Congratulations! 20 years is something to be very proud of.
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    I have visited the place two or three times times during the time I lived in Cuba.
    I was married at Los Santos Pasionistas in La Vibora, Havana.

Thanks, and once again, congratulations.
    Bring lots of pictures.
    Carlos
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Congrats Alex! We celebrated our 20th in December and "eloped" as well, so I hear ya! (Although I don't look anything like as good as Jen!!!)

Jen is, as always, gorgeous. On a photographic note I'd probably dial back the skin smoothing just a tad, but ymmv. She's so gorgeous she doesn't NEED all that skin work iloveyou.gif