Options

South Beach

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited March 2, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Same scene, about 7 different shots taken.
These two are my favorite

sp-1-3-L.jpg

sp-2-3-L.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    The first works, the second doesn't due to the cigar in the face. It probably would have for me if the stogie was in a hand or positioned differently. For example, his head looking out of frame to the left and maybe a little more separation. The first works for me mainly for it's social statement.

I assume these were friends that you were having fun with? If not, well actually in any case I'd be interested in the other five shots.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    The first works, the second doesn't due to the cigar in the face. It probably would have for me if the stogie was in a hand or positioned differently. For example, his head looking out of frame to the left and maybe a little more separation. The first works for me mainly for it's social statement.

I assume these were friends that you were having fun with? If not, well actually in any case I'd be interested in the other five shots.

Thanks Jenn,
    I liked the first for the social statement myself, but I was also attracted to the couple and wanted to just concentrate on their body language. I liked that smug look on his face as he puffs on the cigar. I don't know these people. I was on the grass close by with my kids, taking a break from bike riding and I had a few minutes of observing them before they moved on.
    I will post the rest of the shots tonight. Quite similar and yet not so.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    #2 is more to my liking it brings a smile to my face and ............... :D
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    I like the first one , I think the trees give a nice feeling to it.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    I agree with Jennifer. #2 looks posed, probably because the guy saw Liz shooting and posed. But #1 is a pretty strong comment on the current scene.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    #2 is more to my liking it brings a smile to my face and ............... :D

Thanks Benjamin--I was drawn to her first. She was just very casual and kind of half naked and quite comfortable.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    I like the first one , I think the trees give a nice feeling to it.

I love that location--I wish I would have gotten a bit more of the hotels off to the side.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    I agree with Jennifer. #2 looks posed, probably because the guy saw Liz shooting and posed. But #1 is a pretty strong comment on the current scene.

Thank you about the first--South Beach is full of the wealthy, the beautiful, the young, the middle and lots of homeless on the scene.

I see that it looks posed and though I wasn't in his brain to know what he saw or thought, I want to say he did not see me. He struck me as self-absorbed and I don't think his attention would have been drawn by a woman sweating up a storm on the grass with her two exhausted kids. I mean look at who he was with!
    I never got eye contact--but I can't completely say you are not right. He could have heard the shutter and might have liked the idea of someone taking his photos.

more to come of the same scene--some before and some after the second shot.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    All of the following are SOOC, except one I straightened a bit.
    These would have been good for Richard's recent street exercise.

I shot all of these on my Olympus E620 with the swivel out LCD screen. I pointed my camera at them but framed with the LCD up and flipped out so I never had to look at them, I was just looking down on my screen to frame.

3.This is actually the first shot of the series.
    sp-1-5-L.jpg

sp-2-4-L.jpg

sp-3-4-L.jpg

sp-5-3-L.jpg

sp-6-L.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    You going to hit Maximo Gomez Park (Domino Square) in Little Havana? Ideal
    hunting ground for you. You can practically stick your camera in the domino
    player's faces and they won't notice you.

Just a short hop from South Beach, and some good Cuban sandwiches
    anywhere you stop.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    You going to hit Maximo Gomez Park (Domino Square) in Little Havana? Ideal
    hunting ground for you. You can practically stick your camera in the domino
    player's faces and they won't notice you.

Just a short hop from South Beach, and some good Cuban sandwiches
    anywhere you stop.

I'm home already. I have been wanting to go to LIttle Havana for years. This is the kid's vacation more than mine and it's just me visiting my mother-in-law, so I pretty much have the kids 24-7. I have to drag them to Lincoln Rd. as is. But it's on my to do list Tony.
    They are getting bigger now, specially my little girl and I might just be able to leave them for a few hours to make the getaway--I so would love to.

I did have my fill of Media Noches and Cuban sandwhiches and arroz moros, plantains, vaca frita at las Holas off 6th and one above Collins--it's a pretty authentic hole in the wall.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    I personally like #2 the best. I agree that it is a little unfortunate that the angle of the cigar might make it hard to identify/distinguish, but the feel of the image and his expression juxtaposed to her relaxed/curved body is 100% perfect.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I'm personally enjoying the sixth and seventh in the set. It's more like the composition I was imagining. It would be nice to see them tipped and tailed into a finished product to compare to the first two.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    I'm home already. I have been wanting to go to LIttle Havana for years. This is the kid's vacation more than mine and it's just me visiting my mother-in-law, so I pretty much have the kids 24-7. I have to drag them to Lincoln Rd. as is. But it's on my to do list Tony.
    They are getting bigger now, specially my little girl and I might just be able to leave them for a few hours to make the getaway--I so would love to.

I did have my fill of Media Noches and Cuban sandwhiches and arroz moros, plantains, vaca frita at las Holas off 6th and one above Collins--it's a pretty authentic hole in the wall.

My son and d-i-l are taking the boys (7 and 8) to Miami over Spring Break.
    They will be staying in a cabin in Oleta River State Park on Biscayne Bay.
    The park is in the city of Miami, but on the beach. Cabins are $55 a night!
    They are taking the canoe and bicycles.

The boys are not ready for South Beach. Their eyes would fall out of
    their heads. They will go to Little Havana and the Zoo.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    I personally like #2 the best. I agree that it is a little unfortunate that the angle of the cigar might make it hard to identify/distinguish, but the feel of the image and his expression juxtaposed to her relaxed/curved body is 100% perfect.

Thanks Kinkajou. She completely radiated "relaxed"--just wish she hadn't been so into her cellphone. I swear it's getting harder and harder these days to get any shots without someone being on the cell.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I'm personally enjoying the sixth and seventh in the set. It's more like the composition I was imagining. It would be nice to see them tipped and tailed into a finished product to compare to the first two.

I will repost in b&w:)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    My son and d-i-l are taking the boys (7 and 8) to Miami over Spring Break.
    They will be staying in a cabin in Oleta River State Park on Biscayne Bay.
    The park is in the city of Miami, but on the beach. Cabins are $55 a night!
    They are taking the canoe and bicycles.

The boys are not ready for South Beach. Their eyes would fall out of
    their heads. They will go to Little Havana and the Zoo.

I stay with my m-i-l who is a snowbird and she stays on Ocean and 5th, so we are right in the thick of it. So far there has been nothing too eye popping. Yes you get the occasional topless beachgoer, but honestly after seeing a few of them, you tend not to notice so much. Also my oldest is only 9 and hasn't hit puberty yet rolleyes1.gif. I will show you what I mean in a bit--it's kind of priceless.
    The only thing that seems to "bother" my son is the amount of homeless. We have plenty here but he is not exposed to them as much. They are everywhere there in South Beach and when you are not desensitized to it like I am, it can be shocking and heart breaking.

If I didn't have my MIL to stay with, that deal your son has sounds like a steal!

oh ps--two years ago there was a felony arrest right under our balcony, we are 4 flights up--I guess that could be eye popping :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    Tony,
    Here are two of last year's pics. My son playing w/ his cousin--both completely oblivious to the gorgeous woman in the string bikini behind him. They have the same reaction to the topless women. It makes me chuckle every time.

1206393411_5dQ3d-M.jpg

1206390869_xcaL3-M.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    Tony,
    Here are two of last year's pics. My son playing w/ his cousin--both completely oblivious to the gorgeous woman in the string bikini behind him. They have the same reaction to the topless

My grandsons would not be so oblivious, but they wouldn't really
    know why they are interested. At 7 and 8, they just know that
    something's interesting about it.

Here's a link to a small gallery with some of my Miami shots with one
    of the photos showing what might attract their interest.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Miami/21736989_HRkV2g#!i=1732989970&k=SQp47Fk
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    Jenn--Better?

6.b
    sp-5-3-L.jpg

7.b
    sp-6-L.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Really like #4 and 7. I will look forward to seeing the B & W versions.