Options

bitcasa--infinite storage on your desktop

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited March 4, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I got into the beta for bitcasa. Not sure if I really want to do it, as it seems a bit risky at this point.

But I'd love to hear thoughts on it! :ear
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    I've been able to use the beta for a bit now as well and have yet to set it up. I honestly don't see it being very useful for me, but I imagine some people would think it's fantastic. Should probably set it up and use it to at least be helpful in the beta sense lol. So may do that. I'd be curious to hear thoughts on it as well from others who have used it or in general too.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    I am not sure about a web based system. What happens if their server goes down or something, does this mean you won't have access to your images ? I use external hard drives for back up, plus I have a custom computer with a large corporate hard drive for storage of images.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited March 3, 2012
    What could possibly go wrong? rolleyes1.gif

As you probably know, I'm not fond of being the first on my block to try anything. Relying on a new product/company to store my data (especially large amounts of data) seems foolhardy. As a backup, it might be worthwhile if it proves to be technically stable and a viable business, but for primary storage my 10 Mb net connection is far too slow compared to local storage. Maybe someday, but for now I'd pass.
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    After more or less forgetting about it until DavidTO's post, It may have some small use for what I've been doing currently. By no means will I be using it for lots of stuff, or stuff I need locally a lot. But I have been sharing a fair amount of images and psd/tiff files among some friends. Been using Box.net with a shared folder. May give Bitcasa a try for that just to see how it functions, perhaps with some school work as well (while keeping a local copy and in dropbox).
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    It's offsite storage. Hardly rocket science, hardly new.

PS: Cloudify? Holy crap, the language is going to hell.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Holy crap, the language is going to hell.

Since the dawn of the spoken (and written) word, my friend.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012

It's more than just that.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    I think to some extent bitcase is cloudifying the description of its service.

It is a bit more than simple offsite storage like Amazon S3 or simple replication like dropbox does.

Once you cloudify a folder, that folder is no longer physically on your machine, but your app's use it like it is on your machine. Of course bitcasa is doing some clever caching on your machine to make sure your app's don't slow to a crawl and to make sure that the files themselves don't turn into mush. So you end up with what appears to be seamless, unlimited storage.

So it's different than the other stuff out there and if they can actually make it work seamlessly I think that's at least minor rocket science.:D I think it is something I'm going to wait a bit on though.

• Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Once you cloudify a folder, that folder is no longer physically on your machine, but your app's use it like it is on your machine. Of course bitcasa is doing some clever caching on your machine to make sure your app's don't slow to a crawl and to make sure that the files themselves don't turn into mush. So you end up with what appears to be seamless, unlimited storage.

Maybe I'm being remarkably dense, here, but I've been using something like that for more than year - free. Ubuntu has a free cloud option, and I store a fair bit of mission-critical stuff there. I can even access it for use by multiple machines.

Too, Googledocs and its like are also along the same vein, n'est-ce-pas?

I won't even go into the pre html days, when I could access my home computer from far away, using BBS software, and could launch software, such as word-processors, that would then allow me to edit files on that remote computer anywhere in the world. And this was in the early 90s. :)

:rutt
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012
    I'm not familiar with the unbantu cloud. But I think google docs is really web application. You don't store arbitrary files in goggle docs that arbitrary applications access as though they were on the local disk drive, which is what bitcasa claims they can do.

If the ubantu cloud lets arbitrary applications access arbitrary files that appear to be on the local disk from multiple machines without turning them into mush, that is impressive. As far as I know bitcasa only allows the machine that "cloudified" the files to access them. They seem to mention being able move a cloudified directory to another machine, but it sounds like a feature for the future. In fact from what they say it's not clear that the beta they have now can un-cloudify a directory.

But I think bitcasa's description of what the actually provide is not really all that clear.

Needless I'm skeptical about bitcasa doing what I think they say they can do. On the other hand their founders claim to have been key in developing a lot of the infrastucture the credit card companies use. Yeah, there have been a number of high profile cases where retailers have compromised credit cards, but I don't think the infrastucture itself has compromised, and the in terms of the scale of distributed transactions it processes and manages it's pretty impressive... so maybe bitcasa is really pulling off what they say they are.

Maybe I'm being remarkably dense, here, but I've been using something like that for more than year - free. Ubuntu has a free cloud option, and I store a fair bit of mission-critical stuff there. I can even access it for use by multiple machines.

Too, Googledocs and its like are also along the same vein, n'est-ce-pas?
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012
    I see a big white square... it's got me thinking so I guess that helps:D Sometimes images just don't work on my machine for some reason that I've never figured out.
    DavidTO wrote: »
    This may help:

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3ImZWVxAQ_Q&quot; frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012
    I see a big white square... it's got me thinking so I guess that helps:D Sometimes images just don't work on my machine for some reason that I've never figured out.

It's a youTube video, so my guess is you don't have Flash installed? Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ImZWVxAQ_Q
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012
    Yup, that's it.... it depends which browser I'm using....
    It's a youTube video, so my guess is you don't have Flash installed? Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ImZWVxAQ_Q
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012
    Tnx, that clears up a couple of things. Like you can share files and move from one computer to another, but I don't think it provides simultaneous access... not that I would expect that because that's really hard. They also do versioning.

Not much about the infrastructure that actually supports bitcase or how backup is done etc. Still if it really does what they claim it's pretty impressive.

I still think I will wait until it's been released for a while before I jump on it or tell any clients they should.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    Tnx, that clears up a couple of things. Like you can share files and move from one computer to another, but I don't think it provides simultaneous access... not that I would expect that because that's really hard. They also do versioning.
    Right. A file system can provide versioning (which has been around since VMS), but only an application can have the intelligence needed to synchronize simultaneous read/write access.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    Actually file versioning was in RSX-11, which was the predecessor to VMS, and the PDP-10 operating system which also around before VMS. But I don't either of these OS's was the first to do file versioning, but don't know what was.

Richard wrote: »
    Right. A file system can provide versioning (which has been around since VMS), but only an application can have the intelligence needed to synchronize simultaneous read/write access.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    Actually file versioning was in RSX-11, which was the predecessor to VMS, and the PDP-10 operating system which also around before VMS. But I don't either of these OS's was the first to do file versioning, but don't know what was.
    Right you are--I never worked with those. According to the Wiki, the first was likely ITS, developed and implemented at MIT.

Sorry for the hijack, David. Geeks will be geeks...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Surely many here must have used file servers like NFS-based, Novel Netware or even Windows Server or file sharing. All those give you what seems a local folder but it's on a remote disk somewhere.

This "new" technology sounds just like all that plus some local caching algorithms that are probably bugged... like they always are headscratch.gif
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    Yes, that's true, but bitcasa claims that the files will perform like they are local to the machine because they have caching figured out based on your usage of files. We we will have to see.

DeVerm wrote: »
    Surely many here must have used file servers like NFS-based, Novel Netware or even Windows Server or file sharing. All those give you what seems a local folder but it's on a remote disk somewhere.

This "new" technology sounds just like all that plus some local caching algorithms that are probably bugged... like they always are headscratch.gif
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Yes, that's true, but bitcasa claims that the files will perform like they are local to the machine because they have caching figured out based on your usage of files. We we will have to see.

Right :D

This will work as long as you play nice with it, i.e. don't go back to older pictures which you didn't access for some time. They can only cache a small part locally. I think we all have a system of archiving in place which will work better than whatever algorithm these guys come up with...
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    I am skeptical not only of the performance of bitcasa but whether or not they will truely keep files from turning into mush.

But in practice NFS and Windows file sharing doesn't work all that well over the internet anyhow, so almost any kind of caching algorithm these guys come up with will be better than those.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, you have to take the blue pill before you start to use bitcasawings.gif
    DeVerm wrote: »
    Right :D

This will work as long as you play nice with it, i.e. don't go back to older pictures which you didn't access for some time. They can only cache a small part locally. I think we all have a system of archiving in place which will work better than whatever algorithm these guys come up with...