Options

Am I the only one

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited March 5, 2012 in Dgrin Forum Support
Who has noticed both certain color casts, and darkening of images, when they're posted here. Quite frankly, my shoe photo is not quite as "blue" on my desk top as it is when viewed in Dgrin - even if I am looking at both simultaneously on the same monitor, and I just pulled a copy of Raggs's guitar player to my desktop and was amazed by the shadow detail in it, particularly in the back of the guitar player's jacket and the stone wall, that is not visible in the image on Dgrin.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
    edited March 5, 2012
    Hey BD,

I moved this to the Dgrin Support forum, as it is a general issue. With the exception of attached images, what you see here should match the way your images appear on the hosting site. This may differ from the way they appear on your computer. I notice differences from time to time. My guess is that's due to compression on the Web site. Have you looked at Rags' shot on Dgrin using the little Full Size magnifying glass under the shot? If you're still seeing more detail on a downloaded version of the same image than on the full size version, then something more mysterious may be going on, dunno.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    What browser are you using B.D.? Is it color profile aware? What color profile are your images on your desktop? Are you comparing a hosted image to Dgrin, or a local image sitting on your computer?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    And is it an attached image or a linked image from somewhere?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    What browser are you using B.D.? Is it color profile aware? What color profile are your images on your desktop? Are you comparing a hosted image to Dgrin, or a local image sitting on your computer?

In both cases I mention I am looking at the image on my desk top on my computer and the image posted on Dgrin, looking at them simultaneously, on an Apple Cinema display that undoubtedly needs to be reprofiled, but was profiled properly back when. But even if the display is off, shouldn't it be showing me the same two "off" images?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    I've had difficulty with my monitor view also. I have a Viewsonic that displays black in blotches (some black, some gray)

It's pretty much of a challenge trying to work on noise.

thanks bd for the relook. BTW I liked the blue cast in your "still there" shot.

Didn't want to beat a dead horse.

Having experienced bitter cold winter mornings in Boston, I thought the cast was appropriate

In Norcal, there's a lot more tan (houses , clothes, etc), maybe there's a regional bias?
    Rags
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
    edited March 5, 2012
    The effect of the monitor would probably not matter here, but you are probably using different software to view the two versions, and that could matter. It would be helpful if you told us what software you are using to view the local copy and the browser and OS for viewing Dgrin. One thing you could try is to use the File menu on your browser to open the local copy of the image. I'm guessing that it will more closely resemble the Dgrin version, but who knows? Let us know.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    In both cases I mention I am looking at the image on my desk top on my computer and the image posted on Dgrin, looking at them simultaneously, on an Apple Cinema display that undoubtedly needs to be reprofiled, but was profiled properly back when. But even if the display is off, shouldn't it be showing me the same two "off" images?

I'm thinking your browser doesn't obey color profiles and is just deciding on its own what to do with the image.

What is the color profile of the image in question? sRGB? aRGB? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    sRGB (guitar player)
    Rags
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    The effect of the monitor would probably not matter here, but you are probably using different software to view the two versions, and that could matter. It would be helpful if you told us what software you are using to view the local copy and the browser and OS for viewing Dgrin. One thing you could try is to use the File menu on your browser to open the local copy of the image. I'm guessing that it will more closely resemble the Dgrin version, but who knows? Let us know.

^^ This would be my guess, too.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net