Options

Online Photo Church Directory - How To?

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited March 6, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Not sure where to post this because it could be technique, Smugmug custom design and more. (If it belongs in another forum, please move it.)

I am considering proposing an online church directory to a number of churches in our area. The church I belong to uses a paper based directory that is given to their parishioners.

It is often helpful to check out a photo and put a name to the person, along with contact info.

A recent online and paper based survey of our church showed that over 85% used the online process (SurveyMonkey.com). So, even though there are a good number of older folks in the parish, a lot are using computers and have Internet access.

The paper based document is dated and expensive to upkeep and print out of course.

So, I was thinking about using Smugmug to create an online gallery that would be password protected for each church. I assume I could use captions for contact info. but I wonder if there is a better way. And updating the contact info. would be a chore that would be better if individuals could update it themselves. I would expect to print out a small number of paper based directory as many older folks would use this. I was thinking of purchasing a separate pro account and storing up to four church directories. I expect they would begin to add more photos. Each of the four churches could share the annual cost.

All comments, thoughts, ideas are welcome.

Phil
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Not sure where to post this because it could be technique, Smugmug custom design and more. (If it belongs in another forum, please move it.)

I am considering proposing an online church directory to a number of churches in our area. The church I belong to uses a paper based directory that is given to their parishioners.

It is often helpful to check out a photo and put a name to the person, along with contact info.

A recent online and paper based survey of our church showed that over 85% used the online process (SurveyMonkey.com). So, even though there are a good number of older folks in the parish, a lot are using computers and have Internet access.

The paper based document is dated and expensive to upkeep and print out of course.

So, I was thinking about using Smugmug to create an online gallery that would be password protected for each church. I assume I could use captions for contact info. but I wonder if there is a better way. And updating the contact info. would be a chore that would be better if individuals could update it themselves. I would expect to print out a small number of paper based directory as many older folks would use this. I was thinking of purchasing a separate pro account and storing up to four church directories. I expect they would begin to add more photos. Each of the four churches could share the annual cost.

All comments, thoughts, ideas are welcome.

Phil

Get them on Facebook and create "groups" for various churches. You can make these groups free-to-join (open) or approval-required (closed). Cheap (free) and fairly effective.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Get them on Facebook and create "groups" for various churches. You can make these groups free-to-join (open) or approval-required (closed). Cheap (free) and fairly effective.

That had passed my mind but I did not investigate. I note that there are specialized online services for online church directories but hesitate to go with small firms. This would take a lot time to take the photos and setup.

I will check out the Facebook option.

Again thanks,
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    That had passed my mind but I did not investigate. I note that there are specialized online services for online church directories but hesitate to go with small firms. This would take a lot time to take the photos and setup.

I will check out the Facebook option.

Again thanks,
    Phil

You may also consider orderding an iPhone app, but that's probably not gonna be free ;-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"