Options

where is my photoshop save as jpeg?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited March 6, 2012 in Finishing School
I have been using photoshop cs3 for 2 years now and all of a sudden when I went to save a collage I created I don't have a jpeg option to save as? I used the new>photo>custom size 11x14 rgb, white background, 240 resolution, dragged on pictures, merged layers and went to save as...named the file but there is no jpeg option! where could it have gone? I have done this hundreds of time! ugh!!! this all started when I got Lightroom...does that make any sense? Another time it was telling me that the depth of the pictures are different from the depth of the new file.... pictures were not ever in lightroom, edited in adobe raw and photoshop only. Can anyone help with this? :dunno pretty please :D
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Image>Mode>8-bit

you can't save a 16-bit file as a jpg.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Image>Mode>8-bit

you can't save a 16-bit file as a jpg.

Thanks Andy...it works! but I don't understand why all of a sudden it changed.....I have always done the same thing....... it is soooo frustrating!
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Thanks Andy...it works! but I don't understand why all of a sudden it changed.....I have always done the same thing....... it is soooo frustrating!

It hasn't always done the same thing. You started working with RAW files or upgraded Photoshop or something, to the point that you're working with 16 bit per channel images now and you used to be working with 8 bit per channel images. That's what has changed; no idea how your workflow or Photoshop version changed to modify the defaults... but it did.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    You can also use File > Save for Web and Devices... and then select JPEG as your file type. This way you don't have to switch modes and/or flatten the image before creating your JPEG. Downside is you have to go in and tweak some of the Save for Web settings to keep EXIF data with the image.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    Thanks for all the insight! Much appreciated :D
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    If you just started using Lightroom, it is configured to launch CS3 and load a 16 bit PSD by default. Simply go into your LR Preferences, under External Editing, and change the Photoshop CS3 settings to 8-bit depth by default, then everything will work as you are used to.

BY THE WAY: If you are using this with Lightroom, you simply need to Save from CS3 (vs Save As), since LR is converting to a PSD for Photoshop. The PSD will show in LR, next to your RAW image, and then you can convert to JPG from LR. This is designed to allow you to do advanced editing with CS3, but you finish off you conversions in LR.
  • Options
    amastershockamastershock Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2012
    Thank you very much I was freaking out thinking there's something wrong with my computer. I didn't know on 32 bit channel you can't save it as anything else except PSD...TIFF...

Thanks again